shape
carat
color
clarity

Angel Skin Coral - I’m on a mission.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
So I scored a clasp, without a necklace. I’ve looked at what seems like a million different pearl strands and nothing really clicked. So I started looking for angel skin coral, and the idea has me really excited now!

The problem is, I don’t know the difference between the real and the fake. My budget is $200 which ain’t much, I know, but I can bead them up myself and attach to the clasp. Ideally, 4mm beads, enough to make two finished lengths of 18”-19”
0421D5E2-DCA4-459B-B0A7-EC64887348A5.jpeg

Does anyone know where to find the real thing? The well known jewellers seem to have very large beads, and corresponding prices, neither of which is the scale that will work for me.
5A1E1E5F-ACBC-4A5C-8368-8886BCDE7007.jpeg
Source:

Last edited:

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@PreRaphaelite Maybe have a look at Etsy or Ruby Lane? I had a quick look and there do seem to be some options in your budget. I'm not familiar with angel skin coral so wouldn't be able to steer you to a reputable source. =)2

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I’ve looked and looked but I can’t tell what is genuine and what is fake. Should coral be shiny? What do you think of these?

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have zero expertise with corals, but wanted to say that I love this idea! Can’t wait to see what you come up with.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This old PS thread may be helpful: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/angel-skin-coral-what-to-look-for.158107/

A GIA article: https://4cs.gia.edu/en-us/blog/captivated-coral/

Sugar et Cie listing for a vintage angel skin necklace with diamond clasp: https://www.sugaretcie.com/vintage-modern-angel-skin-coral-necklace-with-diamond-set-clasp/ - the listing says the coral has been lab-verified as natural and undyed - perhaps worth contacting the vendor to see which lab tested the coral etc.

collier

Shiny_Rock
I don't know much. I have two antique strands of coral, but neither are angel skin. Both of mine are more salmon in color with rose gold clasps. However, both strands show what are called growth lines, which kind of look like a finger print like in the image below.

1586808328288.png

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I have a hunch that @stracci2000 would have an idea of how to differentiate between natural/fake coral, so I'm phoning a friend here!

Also, oddly I've been looking at coral and conch pearls lately except I love love the bright pinky-orange colors. Very excited to see your finished piece!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @TheGarnetGirl !
PreRaph, I here are a few from ebay. Yes, coral should be polished and shiny.
I think if you are patient and look everyday, you will eventually find just the right strand in the size and length you want. As usual, the photos on many of these ebay items are not close enough to inspect the beads to check for growth lines and natural grain in the beads. Also, color seems to vary quite a bit!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
So I put in an offer for $115/free ship, for these - seller tends to list lots of junky little things, but accepts returns and has 100% positive feedback, so I took a chance. 3mm double strand, 24" long
s-l1600-1.jpg
I hope I have everyone's blessing! :)
I tried superimposing Marjorie with what I expect the proportions to be, below.

Guesstimate:
s-l1600-2.jpeg

s-l1600.jpg

There is another strand that I fell in love with, but it's expensive and not meant for Marjorie - I will have to wait and see if I keep the above one. Sigh. I wish I could have them all! I love the color on these:
s-l1600-2.jpg

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Update: I got them today and they’re awful, so I’ve asked the seller to accept a return. Bummer! I’m disappointed.

I’ll keep looking.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update: I got them today and they’re awful, so I’ve asked the seller to accept a return. Bummer! I’m disappointed.

I’ll keep looking.

Aaw, sorry to hear that. I hope you find something soon!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
They just weren’t worth anything close to what I paid. So disappointing. I’d have been better off with pale pink plastic. The seller seems reasonable and I’ll leave positive feedback. But it’s been frustrating to wait forever for it to come in the mail and I’m pretty sure that the Covid lockdown is to blame - I’m not normally so grumpy but I was all excited to string them with Marjorie.

Maybe I should eat ice cream. Yes. Yes I should. Strawberry.
That should make me feel better.
Sigh.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ice cream makes everything better!

Your necklace is out there, don't fret!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
hahaha - that's it!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@PreRaphaelite ....Oh no! Maybe selecting a strand of coral is more of a 'hands on' task. There is so much room for variation.
You really would want to see them with your own eyes before plunking down $$$.
Perhaps you could temporarily use some decent FWPs that you already have until you find the right thing.

Last edited:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Yep @stracci2000 the color of the beads was beautiful in the pictures but in person waaaaay too washed out. My neck misses pearls! I need some.

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
The only way I know how to test real/fake coral is by using a drop of lemon, but it does damage the coral :/ I chose to sacrifice a little piece to be sure.

I'll only add... go with pre-loved or antique. Not only is it more likely to be real, it is also more ethical in this case. Re-purposed coral/ivory only.

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
Hi @PreRaphaelite !

I know you're looking for a bead necklace, but I just saw this listing for an angel skin coral diamond ring and thought of you. I know nothing about angel skin coral so I can't tell if this is good quality or anything close to what you're looking for, but in case it is... well, thought I'd share.

This site is kind of like a Latin American eBay, but it's one of the places I regularly check out for vintage stuff. I've bought jewels from this site before and they've all been great experiences =)2

Price in USD would be about $772:
Angel Skin Coral and Diamond Ring 6.5

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't check if they have what you are looking for, but I have bought for them and liked everything I've gotten. I think the color is exquisite but personally will not buy coral because the dredging and fishing of coral is unregulated and contributing to the extinction of these animals.

Last edited:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Hi @PreRaphaelite !

I know you're looking for a bead necklace, but I just saw this listing for an angel skin coral diamond ring and thought of you. I know nothing about angel skin coral so I can't tell if this is good quality or anything close to what you're looking for, but in case it is... well, thought I'd share.

This site is kind of like a Latin American eBay, but it's one of the places I regularly check out for vintage stuff. I've bought jewels from this site before and they've all been great experiences =)2

Price in USD would be about $772:
Angel Skin Coral and Diamond Ring 6.5

That’s beautifu! Thanks for sharing it!

i saw this on Instagram and loved it! Currently thinking of how I would make something similar with the help of DK. I’ll keep you posted!

Attachments

• D8B56C7F-A2F3-4CAB-9A93-FC0270E0782D.jpeg
    D8B56C7F-A2F3-4CAB-9A93-FC0270E0782D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 9

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I didn't check if they have what you are looking for, but I have bought for them and liked everything I've gotten. I think the color is exquisite but personally will not buy coral because the dredging and fishing of coral is unregulated and contributing to the extinction of these animals.

I can definitely agree with you about Coral. I buy second-hand most of the time anyway, but it’s especially important with fragile species. You’re absolutely right!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
@stracci2000
Bought this cheaply on a whim because it looked like a fun accessory, not a serious coral investment. It’s 95 inches and slightly too strong a color than I like, but what the heck.
925BDB77-4152-4359-AAFC-61720236C26C.png

I contacted the maker and he confirmed it’s dyed, so I’m considering using acetone to bleach half the beads down slightly, down to a more subtle color. Just a thought. At 95” long, if it doesn’t go well, I can toss them and start over with the other half. The diameter is just what I wanted, and the color is pretty. Just really pink.
00495B7D-3ED0-437B-BE46-B674FF2EB902.jpeg

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000
Bought this cheaply on a whim because it looked like a fun accessory, not a serious coral investment. It’s 95 inches and slightly too strong a color than I like, but what the heck.
925BDB77-4152-4359-AAFC-61720236C26C.png

I contacted the maker and he confirmed it’s dyed, so I’m considering using acetone to bleach half the beads down slightly, down to a more subtle color. Just a thought. At 95” long, if it doesn’t go well, I can toss them and start over with the other half. The diameter is just what I wanted, and the color is pretty. Just really pink.
00495B7D-3ED0-437B-BE46-B674FF2EB902.jpeg

It's pretty! I think the color is very nice! I'm wondering if the acetone might damage the polish on the beads. I got some Tarn-X a little too close to a coral cab on a sterling ring, and the chemical ruined the polish. I had to buff it shiny again.

So this was from Jay King? Do you think he personally answered you?
They manufacture the jewelry here in Albuquerque and
there is a Desert Rose Trading outlet store here as well.

And the coincidence is that I just bought a Desert Rose Trading necklace today! A thrift store find. Pics are over at "Who wants to see my haul"

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results