shape
carat
color
clarity

And still the world goes on...

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
For those of you who know me, you know I had seven cats, all of which are rescues. One of which this forum helped me rescue. I also have two fosters that desperately need a new home. I try not to have favorites but...

And on Friday I we had to put my eldest, and my favorite, Dunca, to sleep. My husband and I don't own a home. Due to my husband's job we've moved very often. And my cats and my husband are my home. And if I'm to be honest my husband and Duncan were tied for 'home.' My husband and I have been together for 19 years. Duncan has been with us for 17. He's the entire reason we rescue as many cats as we can. He's the entire reason we have so many. He was the perfect cat. And he was the most loving animal. He adored me and John and was truly as devoted and loyal as people think only dogs are. Anyone who met Duncan tried to run off with him, and even people that didn't like cats loved him. I called him my heart, my baby cat, and my angel.

He died in the middle of the night. By the time we got home from the emergency vet it was morning. And while we were driving I saw a rainbow. I've seen rainbows before but they've always been a part of a rainbow. Usually half of one that faded into the sky. But that morning, when I thought nothing in the world could make me laugh, suddenly there was a full rainbow as if someone had photoshopped it into the sky. Just like the one below. And I heard this sound and I realized I was laughing with the simply joy of seeing something so amazing. It was only there for a couple of minutes but it was there. And I thought, fancifully perhaps, that it was heaven welcoming my baby home. We always call it the rainbow bridge after all.

rainbow.jpg

And then tonight, my husband and I went to a pub (something we never do) to raise a glass and toast our baby's passing. And on the way home a cat ran across the road. And we braked. I stepped out and called out to it, and it came running. Scared, cold, uncertain, fur matted. And so well socialized it jumped up into my lap when I sat back in the car. She's one of the most beautiful cats i've seen in person, she's so fluffy (I'll post a picture tomorrow), and sweet. I'm sure she's owned by someone, so we'll take pictures of her tomorrow, and then take her in on Monday to see if she has a chip and get her home where she belongs. There is no way she's a stray. And when she jumped in my lap, I swear I felt Duncan with me. Telling me to help her. And letting me know he'll always be with me.

He was and always will be my heart.
mommys heart.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry @LaylaR. :cry2:
Duncan was a special soul and he was so fortunate to have you and your dh in his life as you were to have him. His life was large and filled with love and safety and comfort because of you and he will always be in your hearts.

Sending you gentle hugs and keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

foreverfree.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more poem that is so true.

weonlywantedyou.png

(((Hugs))) Layla.

Attachments

• weonlywantedyou.png
    weonlywantedyou.png
    926.1 KB · Views: 16

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So very sorry @LaylaR Duncan looked like a lovely boy.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry for the loss of your beloved fur baby. What a beautiful rainbow at such a dreadful time to lighten your mood. I believe that was your Dunca letting you know all was right. ((Hugs)) to you and your DH...

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so very sorry for your loss @LaylaR. Duncan was a huge part of yours and your husband's lives, and a upper handsome guy to boot. Your story about the fluffy cat is quite remarkable, I have goosebumps. Much love to you all x

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in tears reading this. Wow.

I'm sorry for your loss.

WhitePeonia

Rough_Rock
I, too, am very sorry for your loss.
Duncan looked absolutely adorable and you gave him a wonderful life.
I am sending you kind hugs.

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m very sorry to hear about your loss Layla, big hugs to you and your husband.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry, Layla. Many of us are sharing your sadness with you as we read. Big hugs.

Deb

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry to hear about Duncan. My heart is with you. Thank you for helping the pretty kitty. Love to you.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry to hear of your loss :( but pleased to hear that you are still able to see the beauty in the world - hopefully the universe will bring you good things :))

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, our furbabies are so hard to lose and clearly Duncan is no exception. I am so terribly sorry for your loss - I know how painful this can be. I love the rainbow and the kitty in the road story - we take comfort where we can find it and who knows? Perhaps their spirits are able to help us in some way.

Hugs to you and John with my deepest condolences. . .

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am so sorry to hear this :(

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry for the loss of your kitty Layla! :(

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry Layla. And I’m glad Dunca found a way to comfort you in your loss.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for your loss of Duncan. It is amazing that you got two quick and meaningful signs that he is okay and you are still going to be loving cats. When we were on the way to the vet to have our cat euthanized (sudden paralysis with necrosis) my husband said “This is the hardest part of having a pet. This is the worst.” I responded, after crying my eyes out with, “but all we’ve shared with her up to now makes this hard part worth it.” You’ve shared his whole life with him and gave him a happy home. He was loved and had a long life. You’ll always remember him. And the rainbow he sent you.

Keep us posted on the girl. She may be your new lucky #7 (((((Hugs)))))

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry Layla. These beautiful fur babies fill our hearts with so much love and totally break them when they leave us. :cry2:

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Am so sorry for your loss Layla, 17 years, what a gift he was to you both...sending dust your way.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry @LaylaR. What a beautiful, moving story.:cry2:
Please take comfort in the fact that you gave Duncan the most wonderful, loving home that any cat could have.

Q

Queenie60

I'm sorry for you loss @LaylaR. You're truly a cat angel! ((hugs))))

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I wept as I read your post @LaylaR. It was beautifully written and truly honored Duncan. You can tell by his picture that he was a lovely soul; you are as well. Its no surprise your paths crossed. I am so sorry to hear of his passing and I hope you find comfort around you.

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh @LaylaR, I am so sorry to hear about your sweet Duncan, but I hope you know that you gave him the happiest life possible, and the joy he brought you went both ways. I truly love the way you paid tribute to him, and your description brought tears to my eyes because this is exactly how my husband and I felt about our sweet orange tabby, Crash (he was a very clumsy kitten), who we adopted from the HSUS as a kitten and who lived to be 15. They really do take over our hearts, and we are never ready to let them go. It has been almost 3 years for us but I feel like he is still very much with us and always will be. How beautiful that Duncan already gave you this assurance as well by sending the fluffy kitty your way at just the perfect time. Sending you big hugs!!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry for your loss @LaylaR

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry for you loss Layla. How lucky you were to have Duncan in your life for 17 years. He had a wonderful life.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry for your loss. I’m glad you were able to help the lost kitty on your way home.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry, Layla. Like you, one of my dogs is my “home” and I miss him more than I miss DH when I have to travel for work. Losing them is just as painful as losing a best friend, or family member.

And in regards to the rainbow- I think you may have witnessed the rainbow bridge.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautifully written tribute. The rainbow absolutely sounds like a strong, clear and loving message from your boy. Thank you for sharing Duncan with us.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending lots of hugs.
Your precious Duncan’s spirit is certainly guiding you. He had a wonderful and beautiful life with you and DH and now he is sleeping peacefully.
Take care xxxxx

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results