shape
carat
color
clarity

and I was so excited for my dress to arrive...

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Echidna|1302178126|2889999 said:
Sillyberry, just get the 12 and be done with it! You can always take it in but there is NO way you want to be in the "too small" situation twice. The lovely people at Watters are clearly crackers :roll: but two inches is too big a difference for a gamble IMHO.

Ditto. I would just make sure you have a good seamstress lined up and ready to go. I had my dress taken in at least 2 sizes, maybe more (bought a sample) and it turned out beautifully, so as long as you have a good seamstress I wouldn't worry about it.

What a PITA...fingers crossed everything else goes off without a hitch!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
thing2of2|1302207231|2890424 said:
Sillyberry, just get the 12 and be done with it! You can always take it in but there is NO way you want to be in the "too small" situation twice. The lovely people at Watters are clearly crackers :roll: but two inches is too big a difference for a gamble IMHO.

Ditto. I would just make sure you have a good seamstress lined up and ready to go. I had my dress taken in at least 2 sizes, maybe more (bought a sample) and it turned out beautifully, so as long as you have a good seamstress I wouldn't worry about it.

Yep, this is what I went ahead and did. Better to be feeling skinny taking it in than crying over my dress that STILL doesn't fit! :lol:

I'll update you all later this month! I really do appreciate all your positive comments!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
So glad that they are sending you a new gown (and presumably not making you pay for it). Fingers crossed that it will get to you sooner than you think!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1302209978|2890470 said:
thing2of2|1302207231|2890424 said:

Yep, this is what I went ahead and did. Better to be feeling skinny taking it in than crying over my dress that STILL doesn't fit! :lol:

I'll update you all later this month! I really do appreciate all your positive comments!

Le sigh. At least you will have a dress! And your seamstress will do wonderful things with it! And it will fit! And you will look STUNNING!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Just try to schedule your first fitting between the two trips. Hopefully your dress will come sooner than they are predicting. I imagine it's already completed, so they just need to account for shipping. Shipping can take anywhere from 5 days to 3 weeks, I'm hoping yours is on the quick end!

Smart choice to go with the 12. :) It will all work out and you'll look fabulous on your wedding day.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Hope everything works out Sillyberry! Keep us updated!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Clairitek|1302215338|2890560 said:
So glad that they are sending you a new gown (and presumably not making you pay for it). Fingers crossed that it will get to you sooner than you think!

Ditto-my fingers are still crossed!

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Sillyberry - I just saw this. I feel your stress! My dress came in well over a month later than initally promised. I was very stressed. I'm glad you were able to order a new one. The difference in the size in terms of a seamstress taking it in isn't much. You will be happy with the result of having to have it taken in vs being too small. Keep us posted on the outcome!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Well, the good news is that my dress arrived last Thursday and I took it in to the seamstress today and it zips up. It does (understandably) seem big in strange ways that the sample dresses never did, particularly in the area under the bust. I'm a chesty girl, and right now the dress is not laying flat against my rib cage, making me look a lot bigger than I am. That very fitted look was why I picked the dress in the first place, since it was incredibly flattering.

However, this is why seamstresses exist! She's going to take in the cups (for lack of a better work - it's a sweetheart neckline) to stop the major gapping and pull in the area under the boobs to flatten it out. Hopefully this will make it lay better along the body. Then she's shortening it and adding a 3-point French bustle and (fingers crossed) I'll be good to go with days to spare!

So...a qualified yeah!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
oh good. i hope she can fix it and it is perfect for your wedding day!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I took my dress home today from the seamstress and I have to admit - I'm profoundly disappointed.

The dress I ended up with just doesn't look the same on me as the sample dresses that fit so perfectly. We've altered and altered and it still does not lay flat against my stomach the way the sample dress did. Additionally, it seems the size 12 has an inch longer bodice than the 10. That doesn't seem like a huge amount, but it's the difference between hitting me at my natural waist or not, which makes a big visual difference. There is also a band of material on the underskirt that can be seen through the outer layer of chiffon that I don't remember seeing any of the times I tried the dress on.

I honestly feel like I got a bum dress from Watters after this whole debacle.

It is what it is -- I can't get another dress now -- and I'm sure it looks fine, but it definitely doesn't feel like the dress I fell in love with.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
oh no! I don't really know what to say but **hugs** and I'm sure you look beautiful in the dress.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry to hear about your dress. I know it's not what you were hoping for and it bothers you, but I'm betting that you'll look gorgeous and no one will have any idea.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry your not happy with the dress SB, that sucks.

Can you go to the shop and throw a wobbly and make them swap you for the sample dress and just dry-clean it? Long shot but....

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
4ever|1305788290|2925518 said:
I'm sorry your not happy with the dress SB, that sucks.

Can you go to the shop and throw a wobbly and make them swap you for the sample dress and just dry-clean it? Long shot but....

FutureGirl, that phrase made me LOL.

SB, I just don't know what to say except I'm heartbroken for you. I had really hoped this new dress would work out for you and everything would be perfect and spectacular. I know that you don't feel like this dress fits the same way as the sample, but I guarantee you still look amazing. You have chosen a beautiful gown, and YOU are beautiful, inside and out. And you will be positively glowingly happy on your wedding day. But I'm sending you TONS of hugs upon hugs. Please drive safely this week!!!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Oh dear.

I'm so sorry SB that sucks.

Seriously, you will still look more beautiful than I ever will in a White Dress. That's a promise.

I know the sample fit better, but no one else will know this and I'm sure that no one realise you look anything less than perfect.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone. 4ever, I would love to "throw a wobbly" (I'm so going to start using phrase that ALL THE TIME), but I bought the dress essentially online (from Pearl's Place, a shop in Louisiana that I have always heard and read good reviews for) so there isn't really a store to throw a wobbly in! I know lots and lots of brides have had no problems with PP, but now I wish I had just spent the extra money and bought the dress from the local bridal salon. I really shot myself in the foot over this one. Live and learn. Hopefully only to pass that advice on, not because I ever need to buy another wedding dress!!!

My mom says it looks nice (even though she still sees what I see) and several strangers in the shop said I looked lovely (but would you say anything else to someone in a wedding dress?!?), so it is probably true no one else but me will notice that it doesn't fit as properly as it could. I'm trying to just get over it - it's just not a big deal in the bigger scheme of things, even though right now it feels really fresh and upsetting.

and rosetta -- be nice to yourself!!!

xoxo to all

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aw man...I was hoping for a happy ending! Is it too late to take it to another seamstress to try to get the bodice shortened and refitted so you'll be 100% happy? If not, I am quite sure you look stunning in the dress and no one will notice what you noticed.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
In more news, I took my dress in to get pressed today, and the bridal consultant and seamstress there wanted to make a few alterations to improve the appearance of the wonky bodice. They're also going to minimize the white band down at the bottom. To be delivered to the hotel on Saturday.

It probably will never be 100% there, but it'll be closer. And I'm sure I'll look pretty and be happy and married and I'm focusing on that!!!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1306297821|2929687 said:
In more news, I took my dress in to get pressed today, and the bridal consultant and seamstress there wanted to make a few alterations to improve the appearance of the wonky bodice. They're also going to minimize the white band down at the bottom. To be delivered to the hotel on Saturday.

It probably will never be 100% there, but it'll be closer. And I'm sure I'll look pretty and be happy and married and I'm focusing on that!!!

That's GREAT news, SB! So while it may never be 100%, 95% is pretty damn good...and since everything else will be 110% amazing, it'll all balance out, right?

BTW...I'm sure your photog can do some amazing things with the editing on your favorite pics to help any dress imperfections disappear in your forever-record of the day!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
vc10um|1306328626|2929823 said:
sillyberry|1306297821|2929687 said:

That's GREAT news, SB! So while it may never be 100%, 95% is pretty damn good...and since everything else will be 110% amazing, it'll all balance out, right?

BTW...I'm sure your photog can do some amazing things with the editing on your favorite pics to help any dress imperfections disappear in your forever-record of the day!

I'm so glad they're making a few more changes! I hope it's everything you want it to be once you get it!

And ditto vc10um-your day will be amazing no matter what, and that is a great point she makes about the photog!

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
SB, I'm sure it'll look beautiful and that the happiness of the day will quickly make you forget any reservations you had! That's a great idea to ask your photog to edit out anything you don't like in the photos.

Good luck! I can't wait to see some pictures!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results