shape
carat
color
clarity

An Unusual Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snailmyra

Rough_Rock
We met in the last year of High School. Dated for almost 4 years. Dated through first jobs. He ended up working for a newspaper, and I for a telecom company. We'd talked about the future and marriage but it was just not ever the right time. We weren't making enough money, we couldnt' find a place to live, etc. We'd even gone so far as to look at rings but couldnt' find anything we liked. We were 19 years old.

In the spring of the 4th year, he planned a picnic, I cooked the chicken, made salad and dessert. We went to the local park and picked a spot near the playground. We threw the frisbee around, me being totally oblivious to his anxious manner. We ate the picnic food, and sat talking. He then said he had a gift for me, and brought out a photo album. I opened it, and it was full of 'LOVE IS....' cartoons. He (which I didnt' know at the time) had cut out the cartoon each day for almost a year, framed them in decorative tape, and grouped them into meaninful pages. On the last page, he had placed the cartoon that said: "LOVE IS..... TOGETHERNESS", and cut a slot in the top of the page, into which he'd placed a ring. As I turned the page, he went down on one knee, and asked; Will you marry me?

The ring is a Marquise shape 1/4 carat white diamond, with a heart shaped jade on each side set in 18K white gold. It was and is gorgeous. He told me later, he had searched for and found a jeweler who would make the design he had in his mind. At the time, no one would put a semi-precious stone with a precious one. He told me that many jewelers refused to take the commission.

This was 32 years ago, and each time I relate the story, I still get chills. Nothing could have made me feel more cherished or loved than the effort he put into our proposal.

He has given me 'sparklys' in the intervening years, but none will ever create the joy I feel when I see this ring on my finger.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Pretty darn impressive!

schatzyqt

Rough_Rock
Absolutely gorgeous story. It made me teary eyed. I can only hope that my boyfriend will come up with a proposal that is so unique, touching, and personal.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Snailmyra -- what a beautiful story! Your husband is a keeper all right. (ya think? after only 30+some odd years? hehe) I''d love to see a photo of your ring, it sounds like a beauty! And certainly one-of-a-kind!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, how nice to hear something so lovely when sometimes all we hear is the negative stuff. What a great proposal and how great that you still get chills! Do you have the book still? (silly question I know!)

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love the story, and the beautiful sentiment! I''d also love to see a pic of this one of a kind ring!!

Sujuann

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful proposal!!! Thank you for sharing it with us!!

snailmyra

Rough_Rock
All,

Attached is a picture of the ring. I still have the book and keep it handy to show anyone who shows interest. I tease my husband that he was ahead of his time with scrapbooking ! I kept scrapbooks of all our engagement cards, and wedding cards. The Trilogy kept building with our 2 children, and now that they are getting settled, we are keeping the ending open for grandchildren.

The jades have been replaced a few times in the intervening years, and middle prongs added for security and protection. They are no longer heart shaped and the original jades were shades lighter too. The guard ring was also designed by my husband, and served as the wedding band. Originally, it was a brushed finish and set off the shine of the engagement ring.

Thank you for your interest and compliments.
36.gif

UnusualPropsalRing.JPG

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Oh Wow, I really really like your ring, Snail!!

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~Your ring is beautiful!!!!!!!!!
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results