shape
carat
color
clarity

An Intro From a New LIW!

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
Hi LadiesI I have been lurking for a few months but I think I am ready to introduce myself and be added to the list!
My boyfriend and I have been together for a year and a half (on Monday! 8/20) and we have been living together for about 6 months. He is everything I have ever hoped for in a partner- he’s funny, caring, and so kind. He is also wonderful with my 4 year old daughter and treats her like a Princess. We actually met at work (GASP! ;)) ) and knew each other for several years before dating. Like most of you at some point or another, I had totally given up on guys!
When we moved in together, we began talking about the future and the possibility of getting married and having a child. We are both on the same page which I was a little worried about since he has been a bachelor for a while now. :tongue: We actually discussed this one night in particular and he told me he wanted to marry me and considered my daughter his own (melted my heart!). In fact, I was so emotional, I couldn’t say much…Obviously he knows I want to marry him... Fast forward to April, my grandmother gave me her diamond engagement ring about a week before she passed away. It is gorgeous and I am absolutely in love with it! We have spent the last couple months sizing, polishing, and appraising it. On Monday it will be ready to be picked up at the jewelers and tucked away in a safe spot until that time comes. While we have discussed that this will be my e-ring, I have not officially handed it over to him to keep until the time is right. I want to make it special in some way… but I am not quite sure how. I was thinking about writing him a letter with it or something… Since that day will also be the year and a half mark in our relationship it just feels right.
Any suggestions?
It’s been fun getting to know all of you through your posts. Nice to meet you! :twirl:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Welcome!! That is so sweet what he said about your daughter and I'm happy you have found such a great man. Are you going to give him the ring next Monday along with the letter? Or just the letter? I think either way that would be very sweet and meaningful. Hope your stay here is short!!

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
I am going to give him the ring Monday... I haven't decided on the letter. Ahhh! I cant imagine what guys go through trying to propose! :shock:

I feel sad that I am not going to be able to stare at the ring anymore, I am hoping cell phone pictures might tide me over for a while ...

BeautyQueen

Rough_Rock
Awe welcome to the LIW forum , i am assuming the ring in your avitar is the ring ... its beautiful :love: .

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome! I can't imagine how you feel, having to hand your ring over. Ack.... I don't think I could do it! lol :???: I hope your stay is short and sweet!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: Welcome! :) That's amazing that you found such a sweet man! I think the card and the ring would be a nice gift to give him on Monday. Maybe put it in a pretty gift bag with a couple of little knick knacks for him, and have the ring in a box on the bottom of it all? That way he still has some things that are "his" presents.

Let us know how it turns out!!

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
BeautyQueen- It is! Thank you! :)

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
MBKRH- I know, I am so sad to be handing it over... but how can he propose when he doesn't have the e-ring? Lol!

I did pick it up one day early... and I took dozens of pictures so that I can try and stay sane. hehehe. :saint:

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
Madelise- I love the idea of a cute bag. I think I am going to make a nice dinner and give it to him. I will let you all know how it goes! :)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alrighty, girlfriend, it's now Wednesday! Where's our update! :naughty:

I hope you two enjoyed your anniversary! Let us in on the deets!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Welcome! I hope your stay is short and sweet! Lots of us around here have opted for antique stones. You fit right in! :)

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
I know... I have been so bad about updating. BF and I got a bad cold and have not been feeling well. I actually didnt give it to him on Monday. It just didn't feel right. We did have a nice dinner (as nice as possible- we felt so yucky!) We did talk about it last night. He is feeling odd about giving me a ring that he didnt buy... I didnt know what to tell him. I am not sure what to tell him. This is THEE ring I want. My grandma (who loved him!) wanted me to have this to use. I think it stems from the whole macho guy thing. :confused:

Anyway, we are headed out of town today and I am planning on a sunrise canoe trip Sunday am. No, the ring will not be coming along in the canoe but I am going to spill my guts to him and talk to him more about the ring. I promise to keep you girls updated.

In the meantime, any advice on getting him over this macho guy thing?

Thanks ladies! :wavey:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi!! I'm so sorry you two aren't feeling well :(
As for the macho guy thing.. Some guys feel emasculated if they can't be the "provider".. And if he feels a guy should propose with a ring he provided, he might feel less-than if he used anything other than what he put effort into saving up for. Sorry if my English is getting funky here :X

Can you do a compromise when you guys talk this weekend? Tell him how much your grandmother means to you, and how much you would love to be proposed to with her ring, and how you want to be married with it.. But he can pick out a WB? Or he can make a second, more modern looking e-ring, so that you can have 2?

The second option might seem excess, but if you're trying to preserve your grandma's ring, you may not want to wear it 24/7.. And this way, he has a ring that HE gave you, too?

I really really love my grandmother, and am super close with her. Using her WB would mean the world to me, but the filigree designs on it are already wearing out. I would never be able to wear it daily... But I still want it because it belonged to her. So I totally get your sentiment! But maybe that's a thought for a compromise?? Unless you really do want to wear that one daily..

Just some thoughts!

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1346442366|3260517 said:
Hi!! I'm so sorry you two aren't feeling well :(
As for the macho guy thing.. Some guys feel emasculated if they can't be the "provider".. And if he feels a guy should propose with a ring he provided, he might feel less-than if he used anything other than what he put effort into saving up for. Sorry if my English is getting funky here :X

Can you do a compromise when you guys talk this weekend? Tell him how much your grandmother means to you, and how much you would love to be proposed to with her ring, and how you want to be married with it.. But he can pick out a WB? Or he can make a second, more modern looking e-ring, so that you can have 2?

The second option might seem excess, but if you're trying to preserve your grandma's ring, you may not want to wear it 24/7.. And this way, he has a ring that HE gave you, too?

I really really love my grandmother, and am super close with her. Using her WB would mean the world to me, but the filigree designs on it are already wearing out. I would never be able to wear it daily... But I still want it because it belonged to her. So I totally get your sentiment! But maybe that's a thought for a compromise?? Unless you really do want to wear that one daily..

Just some thoughts!
Ditto. This varies guy to guy, but a lot of guys want to have that role. I think you have to start with just explaining how much her ring means to you and go from there. Most guys want you to be happy more than being that macho guy, he'll probably come around if you give him some time to get used to the idea.

BubblesnFun

Rough_Rock
The part about your BF and daughter really is heart melting. How wonderful that you have sound such a great man :) I also just have to say that your ring in your avatar is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! I can't wait to see more photos of it when the engagement happens!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results