shape
carat
color
clarity

an eye clean SI2

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

swl

Shiny_Rock
There is a SI2 diamond that I like a lot from looking at its numbers, and the jeweler said it's eye-clean (it's a needle inclusion right under the table). I just want to know in general, how reliable is the term "eye-clean" from a jeweler (like 50% of the times it's eye clean and 50% of a chance it's not really eye clean?) ? would most jeweler be honest with their answers about clarity? I can't see the stone in person, no photos are available
7.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on the jeweler....

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 4:19:50 PM
Author:swl
There is a SI2 diamond that I like a lot from looking at its numbers, and the jeweler said it''s eye-clean (it''s a needle inclusion right under the table). I just want to know in general, how reliable is the term ''eye-clean'' from a jeweler (like 50% of the times it''s eye clean and 50% of a chance it''s not really eye clean?) ? would most jeweler be honest with their answers about clarity? I can''t see the stone in person, no photos are available
7.gif

If you can''t see the stone in person and no photos are available I would walk away.

swl

Shiny_Rock
is SI2 that obvious? like people can really tell it''s SI2?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
It really depends on the stone.

ETA: I have an SI2 and the inclusion is similar to the one yours has. I can only see it through a loupe when the stone is clean. However, when the stone is dirty, I can see it with my naked eye from about 3-4 inches away. I would not have purchased the stone without seeing it in person or at least seeing a picture of it. what's the vendor's return policy like?

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 4:26:39 PM
Author: swl
is SI2 that obvious? like people can really tell it's SI2?
No, I don't think they're obvious. I called in an SI2 that looked eye clean to me but after I looked at it through the loupe to see where the inclusions were I saw a big black carbon almost smack in the middle of the table. After I knew where the inclusion was I could sometimes see a tiny black spec but only when I was LOOKING for it. This same stone also had a needle that I could only see with the loupe and never could see or find with the naked eye :)

swl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 4:32:04 PM
Author: vgirl17

No, I don't think they're obvious. I called in an SI2 that looked eye clean to me but after I looked at it through the loupe to see where the inclusions were I saw a big black carbon almost smack in the middle of the table. After I knew where the inclusion was I could sometimes see a tiny black spec but only when I was LOOKING for it. This same stone also had a needle that I could only see with the loupe and never could see or find with the naked eye :)

Thanks for sharing your experience! i don't plan to cross my eyes to look for flaws, as long as it's not like "look at me" kind of mark, then I am ok with it. afterall no one else besides the owner would take such close look at the diamond.

so I guess needles are not that obvious to see as some other kinds of inclusion...

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 5:46:22 PM

Date: 4/14/2009 4:32:04 PM
Author: vgirl17

Thanks for sharing your experience! i don't plan to cross my eyes to look for flaws, as long as it's not like 'look at me' kind of mark, then I am ok with it. afterall no one else besides the owner would take such close look at the diamond.

so I guess needles are not that obvious to see as some other kinds of inclusion...
Funny you say that! I actually did cross my eyes a couple time trying to find it!!!
19.gif
LOL! Needles are definately better than black carbons! I couldn't believe how big it was when I saw it in the loupe. It was just too ugly close up (through the loupe) for it to be mind clean for me. I don't think I'd worry too much about a needle. They're usually clear anyway so it makes it even harder to see them. I looked at another SI2 that had a big crystal in it (and you couldn't see it with the naked eye because it looked like a clear bubble through the loupe) and we almost bought until we found my stone (it had a better cut). I would buy an SI2 in a heartbeat. Anyone looking that close at your diamond ring is looking to find something wrong with it... (haters) :)

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Many SI2 stones are eye clean or very close to it. However, it's one of those things that really depends on the definition of eye clean from your jeweler and your jeweler's eyes. There is a good chance it is eye clean, but in the end you'll just have to see for yourself. You may want to ask your jeweler from how far away from his face and from which angles the stone was eye clean as well.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my SI2 is pretty eye clean, you cant see anything just looking at it from a normal angle, I know where the inclusion is so I can see it but only if I really look for it
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results