shape
carat
color
clarity

Amazing White Sangria...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've become obsessed with White Sangria in the last few months because I love sweet drinks with subtle liquor...I'm not a huge drinker at all so it's rare for me to find something that I find that I really love...
18.gif

When Al and I were in Houston, we went to a restaurant where they had a fab red Sangria but had not heard of white. The waiter said he could 'whip something up' for me...I scoffed and said what about the fruit having to absorb the wine etc, isn't that the mark of a good sangria (or so I have heard!). Well he said he would try something and see if I liked it. I said well okay!

What he created was AWESOME. I don't even know if it could technically be called sangria at the time, since it had a small floating orange and a lone cherry in it, but I imagine you could add some fruit and it'd be even better. Al and I had 5 glasses between us..divine stuff!

On the way out (as I was writing in his tip
31.gif
) I asked him sweetly for the recipe...he wrote it down for me, we thanked him profusely, and we were off. He was amazing....so here's his recipe!

White Wine (he used a Sauvignon Blanc, but he said a Riesling would be fine too)
Splash of natural sugar mixed with water (aka sugar water!)
Splash of Cranberry Juice
Splash of Pineapple Juice
Splash of Brandy
Splash of OJ
Add fruits!

He told us it was basically 99% wine with a splash of everything else. So good. We are going to try it this weekend at home and also add some fruit to it as well to see what we think and tweak it til we get it right.

If anyone else tries it, please tell me how you liked it! ENJOY!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
BATMAN GOT THE RECIPE!!!!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Mara. I was wondering when you''d post the recipe. Sounds perfect for our neighborhood *ladies'' card night.* I''ll give it a try and let you know.
18.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
BATMAN always gets the recipe!!
31.gif

Lil...sorry for the delay...I had to fish it out of my bulging purse and that didn't happen til last nite. Esp since I was thinking about making it this weekend...I had some motivation to enter the purse war zone...hehe!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Batman, this sounds yummy!!!!!
18.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so here is the update ...

We made the sangria last nite and it was divine. But I had to tweak it alot to get it to where I wanted it to be. Mind you I like super sweet stuff and the first few tries were too tart for my taste. Even Greg mentioned it. So we kept adding more of the ingredients til we liked it. We made it with Sutter Home Sauv Blanc, only the classy stuff for us, LOL! We used a magnum of it which Greg says is like 2 regular bottles. So the 'splash' ended up being alot more like a 1/2 cup of each item or more. To taste.

For fruits we used green apples, white nectarines, pineapple slices (canned and used the juice as well), and orange slices.

We let it chill about 1.5 hours and it was really good...as the night wore on we started eating the fruit which was SOOO sweet.

We drank about 1/2 the mix, so I guess one bottle of wine which isn't too bad, kind of like out at dinner! The rest chilled in the fridge for drinking today.
31.gif

Opened up the fridge this morning and the potent smell of the marinated fruit hit me...OH IT SMELLED SO GOOD I had to try it. Yes before noon, just a tiny taste.
5.gif
Oh and I ate a slice of apple too.

So after the experiment, here's my revised recipe. If you like really sweet wines, I'd use a Moscato, we used one previously in a white sangria experiment and it got rave reviews from friends and it was *gone* at the end of the evening. Sutter Home also does a magnum of Moscato that was surprsingly good for this.

Magnum of White Wine: Sauv Blanc for a tart taste; Riesling for slightly sweeter; or Moscato for very sweet fruity taste
~1/2c Sugar Water (sugar dissolved in water)
~1/2c Cranberry Juice
~3/4c Pineapple Juice
~1/4c Brandy
~1/2c OJ
Add fruits to taste....let sit for 1-2 hours if possible to get the fruit saturated...overnight is best!
18.gif

--Figures it serves about 4 depending on what you serve it with....

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
sounds delicious! Only problem is...me + alcohol =
24.gif

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Yippee!
Thanks Mara!
mmm mmm mmm mmm mmm
18.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Sounds great!!
18.gif
Will definitely have to try this!

BlingBlingMommy

Rough_Rock
Yay! I was hoping you''d post the recipe....and the revised version sounds even yummier!
18.gif

Thanks!!!

jennyann2

Shiny_Rock
yum sounds delicious!

how much sugar did you dissolve in the water for the sugar water?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm I would estimate if you do 1/2c sugar water then I'd do 1/2 sugar and 1/2 water, but I like things sweet! So possibly a bit of experimenting on the sugar water to your taste.
2.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
I made this last night with:

One bottle of 750ml brown brothers riesling
sugar syrup from canned lychees
1/4 cup of cranberry juice
1/4 cup of mandarin juice
1/2 cup of tropical juice
splash of brandy

Fruits:

mango slices (i used half a ''cheek'')
half a tangelo
a can of lychees
5 strawberries, sliced.
2 small slices of rock melon
1 granny smith apple

We''re going to have it with dinner tonight
9.gif

Will update this tmr!

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Hello!

We had the white sangria with dinner last night!

It is a little too sweet for me, but the ''marinated'' fruits were yummy!

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
also really yummyis the PEACH sangria from Olive Garden. You have to try it sometime. I swear I go there just for that drink.. I have looked up several recipes, but its basically white white, plus peach schnapps. I haven''t gotten around to making it, but the Peach Canei is a good substitute, and today I just bought the arbor mist peach chardonnay, I don''t have high hopes for it, since Chardonnay is usually far too dry for me. Currently FI and I are working on a GIANT bottle of Lambrusco that he made me buy. He always has to get the value size. :)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
YUM Jade that sounds right up my alley, I LOVE SUPER SWEET drinks!!

If you want it less sweet next time I'd cut back on the lychee syrup which can be very sweet and also use a Sauv Blanc instead of a Riesling. See how that helps? YUM.

Melissa, peach sounds divine. Hmmm. Ideas.
31.gif

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/28/2005 2:30:14 AM
Author: Mara
YUM Jade that sounds right up my alley, I LOVE SUPER SWEET drinks!!

If you want it less sweet next time I''d cut back on the lychee syrup which can be very sweet and also use a Sauv Blanc instead of a Riesling. See how that helps? YUM.

Melissa, peach sounds divine. Hmmm. Ideas.
31.gif
I love me some sangria- the best that I ever had was at this little Tappas resturant in Chicago......It was the dark kind though.

Mara, we are going to make your sangria this weekend- Blake is really dying to try it.....

:) I will keep you updated!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results