shape
carat
color
clarity

Amazing and touching story

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In 1896 a doctor pioneered the incubator to save premature babies.
But hospitals rejected the idea.
The prevailing idea was, "those babies weren't meant to survive".

For 40 years this saint brought his incubators to amusement parks and world fairs which charged people 25 cents admission to view the tiny babies.
While human "freak shows" are disgusting these shows financed and saved many precious lives before the medical establishment finally pulled its head out of it's butt.

http://www.npr.org/2015/07/10/421239869/babies-on-display-when-a-hospital-couldnt-save-them-a-sideshow-did

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool, glad he was persistent and didn't back down.

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
What a wonderful story. I'm sure there were many families so thankful that he didn't give up. Thank you for sharing that, Kenny.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
As a mom of not one but two preemies aged 32 and 30 today I for one am forever grateful. Thanks for sharing Kenny, didn't know this. I guess it's one of those things that was never stopped to think about and just took for granted that it was there.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just amazing. I love science.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny,

Like many, I had no idea that this is how incubators came to be used for preemies. What an incredible advancement this man pioneered. Thank goodness for his knowledge of science and medicine, his determination to pursue the care for preemies, and his creativity in finding a way to fund his research.

There are special people in this world doing wonderful work.

Dr. Martin Couney was one of those special people.

Thank you for telling us about him!

Cluless,

I'm so happy that you have your preemies!

:wavey:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is just lovely :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results