shape
carat
color
clarity

AMANDA KNOX IS FREE!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
So happy! I cannot imagine the nightmare she has lived through.

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
I feel very sad for Meredith Kercher's family. The way the Italian police processed the evidence means that nobody will ever be convicted of their daughter's murder.

The case was totally flawed and denied them any justice. Amanda Knox's behaviour at the time was unusual, but that does not mean she was innocent or guilty. We will never know the truth and nor will Meredith's parents.

Everybody talks about Knox, never about Kercher.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
SapphireLover|1317672152|3032262 said:
I feel very sad for Meredith Kercher's family. The way the Italian police processed the evidence means that nobody will ever be convicted of their daughter's murder.

The case was totally flawed and denied them any justice. Amanda Knox's behaviour at the time was unusual, but that does not mean she was innocent or guilty. We will never know the truth and nor will Meredith's parents.

Could not have put it better myself.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad she's free because I never really believed she did it. However, I do have niggling doubt that she might have and hasn't been punished for it...

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I

This is a perfect statement, however, Meredith's family has always rubbed me the wrong way.

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock

Really? I thought Rudy Guede was convicted of their daughter's murder?

http://www.injusticeinperugia.org/Rudy.html

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad she is free. I didnt feel like she could have done it and the evidence didnt seem like it was there either.
Thanks to all the botched work there will never be justice for Meredith.

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
The likelihood is though that Guede will get to appeal and have his conviction overturned based on the flaws in the forensic collection.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
SapphireLover|1317673574|3032287 said:
The likelihood is though that Guede will get to appeal and have his conviction overturned based on the flaws in the forensic collection.
He has appealed twice and lost both times.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for posting this update on the Knox case. The prosecuter, IMO, did not have the evidence to sustain a conviction. Now he can prepare for his own trial. He had best hope he doesn't have a prosecuter like himself :nono:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just heard about it now when I turned on CNN. I'm glad Amanda's free and hopefully the Italian justice system will look closely at how they do things and make some improvements. I feel for Meredith's family, too, of course. I hope they'll get answers soon and a sense of closure.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad Amanda is finally free. What a horrible 4 years for her and her family. I do feel for Meredith's family. Hopefully the Italian justice system can be improved. I hope that prosecutor goes to jail. He is as crooked as they come. :nono:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1317679574|3032367 said:
I am glad Amanda is finally free. What a horrible 4 years for her and her family. I do feel for Meredith's family. Hopefully the Italian justice system can be improved. I hope that prosecutor goes to jail. He is as crooked as they come. :nono:

Agreed! I read a lengthy article about the murder and original trial in Rolling Stone: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/the-neverending-nightmare-of-amanda-knox-20110627, and the way the prosecutor, police, EVERYONE handled everything was unbelievably awful.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had the luck of getting to read both the British press and US press on-and-off during the trial. The media seemed to present the women very differently in both countries. It made me a bit uneasy about the entire case.

I wish it were a bit more clear cut. I have a feeling that the trio knew way more than they ever let on to anyone else.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I think the right guy is in jail. Unfortunately they only gave him 16 years. The prosecutor is a nut job. Thank God she's finally free. Can't say I have much respect for the Italian justice system.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am glad that Amanda has been set free.

Sad thing is- the truth will likely never be found- and justice will probably not be served. The evidence and trial was so tainted no one will ever know what really happened. Truly, all we really can go on is how we "feel" about the case and whether or not we "think" Amanda did or or what not- but there will never be a fair accurate trial unfortunately...

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
They found Guede's handprint in Kercher's blood. That should back up any conviction.

There is NO evidence A. Knox or her bf had anything to do with this. None. The prosecutor was convicted & sentenced to 16 months in prison for overstepping prosecutorial powers a few yrs ago. He has also accused something like 15 others of doing Satanic rites -- that was his first explanation for this crime. Until his superiors told him he was making an ass of himself & he changed it to a drug-fueled orgy. No evidence of any orgy.

After he had committed himself to his ridiculous theory, they found Guede & the handprint. To save face & not admit he was wrong, he charged Guede as an accomplice -- got only 16 yrs. This was a vile nasty murder. It's pretty clear Guede broke in -- the window was broken from the outside: why would Amanda do that when she had a key? -- and raped & killed Kercher, then searched for stuff to steal.

I'm very glad to see the court do the right thing finally. Heard this a.m. there is an outcry in Italy to investigate the handling of this case -- I only hope the prosecutor goes down in flames.

--- Laurie

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
To be honest, up until a few weeks ago I thought she was guilty. Her inability to give details about the night was just very suspicious to me. That said, it doesn't seem that she was interrogated correctly. But, I was a bit perplexed at how there was stronger forensic evidence against the 3rd guy and I never an attempt to connect Knox and her BF to the third guy. Seemed like they were pursuing two different theories of the case and could convict on both. Interesting legal system.

I'm glad she's free, but -- to me -- she needs to explain where she was that night for me to 100% think of her as innocent. She shouldn't be in jail given the prosecutor's misconduct, but I still -- for some inexplicable reason -- can't think of her as innocent.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am thrilled she was set free. It was an atrocious miscarriage of justice.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1317687606|3032494 said:
They found Guede's handprint in Kercher's blood. That should back up any conviction.

There is NO evidence A. Knox or her bf had anything to do with this. None. The prosecutor was convicted & sentenced to 16 months in prison for overstepping prosecutorial powers a few yrs ago. He has also accused something like 15 others of doing Satanic rites -- that was his first explanation for this crime. Until his superiors told him he was making an a$$ of himself & he changed it to a drug-fueled orgy. No evidence of any orgy.

After he had committed himself to his ridiculous theory, they found Guede & the handprint. To save face & not admit he was wrong, he charged Guede as an accomplice -- got only 16 yrs. This was a vile nasty murder. It's pretty clear Guede broke in -- the window was broken from the outside: why would Amanda do that when she had a key? -- and raped & killed Kercher, then searched for stuff to steal.

I'm very glad to see the court do the right thing finally. Heard this a.m. there is an outcry in Italy to investigate the handling of this case -- I only hope the prosecutor goes down in flames.

--- Laurie
Very well said. I was going to make the same points myself. Sadly, Amanda will always have a black cloud hanging over her head bc of this. Just reading the few responses in this thread confirms it. The killer IS in jail and justice was served for the victim. Heck, the prosecuter could come out and admit his faults in the case and people will still believe Amanda got away with murder. Sad.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Addy|1317682852|3032421 said:
I had the luck of getting to read both the British press and US press on-and-off during the trial. The media seemed to present the women very differently in both countries. It made me a bit uneasy about the entire case.

I wish it were a bit more clear cut. I have a feeling that the trio knew way more than they ever let on to anyone else.

You make a fair point, Addy. As I'm based in the UK, I had no idea regarding how Amanda had been portrayed in US media. Over here, papers seemed to suggest she was some kind of enchantress who could have possibly committed murder; the media also don't seem to emphasise flaws in the interrogation procedure, etc. After reading the comments on this thread, with the overwhelming support for her, I went and read from US sources and discovered that over there she seems to be portrayed as completely innocent and as the victim of a clear-cut miscarriage of justice.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
mayerling|1317716193|3032742 said:
Addy|1317682852|3032421 said:

You make a fair point, Addy. As I'm based in the UK, I had no idea regarding how Amanda had been portrayed in US media. Over here, papers seemed to suggest she was some kind of enchantress who could have possibly committed murder; the media also don't seem to emphasise flaws in the interrogation procedure, etc. After reading the comments on this thread, with the overwhelming support for her, I went and read from US sources and discovered that over there she seems to be portrayed as completely innocent and as the victim of a clear-cut miscarriage of justice.

Interesting. She wasn't portrayed as innocent through the media here in AU either.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I am so, so happy!

I've followed this case in detail for the last few years and I am 150% certain that Amanda had nothing to do with it at all.

Rudy Guede is another matter - his DNA was found on and inside Meredith Kercher and all over the room. There was no evidence whatsoever to put Raffaele or Amanda at the scene.

The Italian justice system needs to learn some big lessons here - and I hope the first prosecutor with his obsession with satanic rites and devil women gets struck off.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I, too, am very happy that her conviction was overturned. I will be relieved for her once she is back in the US. I hope she is able to eventually move on from this. I can't imagine what the last 4 years has been like for her.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
She wasn't portrayed as innocent in the U.S. media. At first they wrote about her as if she were guilty. It wasn't until the bizarre stuff came out in the 2nd trial that reports began to change -- and as of last night, most commentators I heard said she must know something about what happened. None of them, however, seemed to have their facts straight, repeating things proved false in court or getting earlier events incorrect. The automatic assumption that "if she was arrested, she must be guilty."

I honestly think the prosecutor is off his rocker, obsessed with devil worship & sex. Why he still has a job is a mystery, but so are the workings of the Italian justice system (think Berlusconi over the decades). And I LOVE Italy!!

--- Laurie

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I agree that the media are still getting things wrong - printing stuff that was proved to be totally false. Like the ridiculous thing about her buying bleach early the next morning and having the receipt - the owner of the shop didn't remember this until months afterwards and the girl who was working there that day says she never saw Amanda.

With the so called 'confession', she wasn't told she was being considered as a suspect - she thought she was saying things as a witness, she had no legal representation, nor were the interviews recorded. She was also doing everything in Italian - which she didn't speak that well at that time. The confession was her being asked to suggest a few possibilities about scenarios that could have taken place. She was a bit of a naive idiot at times (the other girls all got lawyers asap or left the country) but then she was only 20 and not very streetwise.

In fact she was at Solliceto's flat all night - how the Italian forensics managed to destroy the hard-drive and thus be unable to check the activity on it that night I do not know.

I started out thinking she was probably guilty and then went to great lengths to get the actual reports in Italian to totally understand what happened and I was convinced the other way.

I think the press in the UK is behaving rather badly today. This isn't a Casey Anthony case - there is no motive, no forensic evidence and no circumstantial evidence.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This article talks a bit about the media differences: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15043002

I hadn't really thought about how much the media must influence public perception before this trial. So many of us, myself included, get our information from 2 minute segments on tv and headlines from newspaper articles. I could see how she's thought of differently depending on where the reader or watcher is based.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1317695966|3032607 said:
To be honest, up until a few weeks ago I thought she was guilty. Her inability to give details about the night was just very suspicious to me. That said, it doesn't seem that she was interrogated correctly. But, I was a bit perplexed at how there was stronger forensic evidence against the 3rd guy and I never an attempt to connect Knox and her BF to the third guy. Seemed like they were pursuing two different theories of the case and could convict on both. Interesting legal system.

I'm glad she's free, but -- to me -- she needs to explain where she was that night for me to 100% think of her as innocent. She shouldn't be in jail given the prosecutor's misconduct, but I still -- for some inexplicable reason -- can't think of her as innocent.

I'm in a different position in that she's from the same state as me (Washington State) and the university she went is near to where I live, so the papers here have always been in support of her. I'm very glad she is free and it was heartbreaking to watch her visably shaking while hearing the outcome of her appeal yesterday knowing she'd been locked up for 4 years.

One thing to note though is she did make up some stuff like initially accusing her employer of the murder and was sentenced to time...considered served. I don't think that makes her guilty of being more than a scared person (a 20 year old - barely an adult) who probably wasn't entirely paying attention to what she was doing that evening (do most of us actually LOOK at the clock on a friday night while hanging out w/a new boyfriend tracking every event all night?) and not having a firm grasp of the Italian language, so she panicked. ???

The whole thing is a sad situation. Hopefully Amanda can eventually go back to leading a normal life. I can't see that happening any time soon. After being in a cell for four years! It will take YEARS to recover from that.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
They "questioned" (browbeat) that kid for 56 hours straight -- no sleep, no translator, no atty. I would stake my mortgage on the police's having fed her the details at the end of this marathon & then asked, "Could this have happened?" Can imagine her shrugging in exhaustion & saying yes, maybe. They had their "accusation." Anybody who has operated in a language they don't speak like a native knows how mentally paralyzed you become after a certain time.

Yesterday I saw an interview with an American writer who did a book about a murder in Florence. Mignini, this prosecutor, had that case too & apparently did not like the portrayal of his work. He called the author in & threatened, shouted at & bullied him for hours, saying he'd charge HIM with murder unless he confessed. He had no involvement in the crime at all, was merely writing about it. When he steadily refused to "confess," Mignini told him he'd better leave Italy immediately if he wanted to stay out of the dock.

Hearing that & having worked in French, Italian, Spanish & Dutch, I find it only too easy to put myself in Amanda Knox's shoes, especially remembering how un-assertive I was at 20. And in a foreign country? A kid doesn't stand a chance.

I don't go for compassion for killers but this one didn't make sense to me the 1st time I read about it. Satanic murder rituals? Cartwheels in the police station? Pazzissimo.

--- Laurie

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Oh yes - the cartwheels in the police station... turns out she was doing a few stretches after being sat there for over 5 hours.

Problem is that there are loads of little bits and pieces that all got put together without being checked out and it all looks very dodgy.

I noticed that the newspapers were still saying that Amanda's blood was found in the house. Not true, what was found was DNA in her footprints going from her own bedroom to the bathroom, there was no blood at all. The media should be very, very ashamed at the part they have played in this.

The prosecutor is bonkers - the Mostro di Firenze case was equally buggered up by him. He's a very nasty piece of work.

Even the staff and other inmates at the prison didn't believe Amanda was guilty.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results