shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I totally nuts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jjc

Brilliant_Rock
I''d love to see if any of you ladies can relate to this, or if I''m completely overreacting (which is a very real possibility since I''m a hormonal whackjob right now). The search for the ring began in earnest and became actually attainable about a month ago, when my BF started working. Everything was going really great, we found the dream setting that made me swoon, and a lot of different things started falling into place, timing-wise. My BF was always really excited about getting engaged, so everything seemed like it was going to be easy-peasy. However, with the reality of the engagement happening very, very soon, the BF started really stressing out about every little thing: what if he chooses a diamond I don''t love, what if the setting doesn''t turn out how we envision it, insurance, shipping, it has to be a complete surprise...the list goes on. Add to that work stress, and the BF has turned himself into a nervous, anxious wreck. At first I thought it was just ''fun'' nervousness, a part of the process that we would look back on fondly in the future. But it''s gotten out of control - to the point that I have instituted a moratorium on ring talk. It just makes me feel terrible to see him so unbelievably stressed out, and no matter how much I tell him that I will love whatever he picks out - which, at this point, only the diamond itself is left to him - nothing seems to help assuage his fears. I actually seriously pushed for just a plain band, just to make everything easier, but he won''t have it. I really do appreciate how much he wants everything to be perfect, and I know that this is all about how he wants things to go, but I just can''t take it anymore!! The ring is taking over everything and it really shouldn''t be like this! I''m sure it will pass and he will stop freaking out (hopefully!), but I feel like I''m about to lose it because I don''t want him to worry himself into oblivion. Am I crazy and overreacting?? Is refusing to talk about it although he''s carrying on (he has an appointment with the jeweler on Saturday that I was supposed to go to, but don''t want to anymore) just making things worse? Help please!
40.gif

purelily

Shiny_Rock
Hi JJC,

This is kind of tough and I''m not really sure how to answer this, but maybe not discussing it is freaking him out a bit? If he wants it to be perfect, maybe you could help him find your *perfect* diamond and that would set his mind at ease? The proposal can be a complete surprise, but the ring doesnt have to be if it is making him so anxious?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To help him feel less stressed, maybe you can help find the diamond or give him three options after viewing or something, so he at least know that you love all three choices and he can decide from there?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/11/2009 5:39:41 PM
Author: D&T
To help him feel less stressed, maybe you can help find the diamond or give him three options after viewing or something, so he at least know that you love all three choices and he can decide from there?
Love this idea. It''s a win win, the pressure is then off of him...
2.gif

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, I agree with the other posters...you need to go to take some of the stress off him. Have you learned
everything there is to learn from Rockytalk? When he sees that you have it under control then hopefully
he will lighten up.

jjc

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you purelily, D&T, Kaleigh and tyty333 for your replies! Here's the thing - we've talked about the diamond ad nauseum, and we're most likely going with an antique stone, which makes his anxiety more understandable since it's kind of finding a needle in a haystack (boy, I really don't envy the guys in this respect). BUT! BF has Ari from Singlestone searching for him, and we've seen stones and he knows what to look for. And I've offered to look at a few stones that he's narrowed down and say what I like about each and what not - but BF doesn't want that either. Oomph.
14.gif

But we just had a long talk and I kind of tried to 'lay down the law': listen, buddy, if you want everything to be a complete surprise, then you're just going to have to deal with the attendant stresses. And he agrees. He also apparently got 'VERY good news' from Jonathon re: GOG's new OEC's, which I
30.gif
. I hope that makes it easier, since the BF can then rest assured that we will be getting a beautiful stone, and pretty much all he has to do is let Jonathan know size, color, clarity. It just makes me feel horrible for the BF, and it feels plain wrong getting frustrated with the poor guy who is going crazy to make sure I'm 1000000% happy. Yanno? What am I gonna do with this boy...
37.gif

I need to chill out, i.e. I need a beer.
3.gif
2.gif
9.gif

jjc

Brilliant_Rock
HAPPY UPDATE: The BF worked out a plan with Ari today to have me look at some stones while maintaining the surprise in terms of when the ring will actually be done. So the BF is much calmer and not a complete stress case anymore. YAY!!!
9.gif

Thanks again!!
35.gif

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
That''s awesome news!! Does this mean that if Ari''s selection doesn''t wow you, that you''ll be going to look at GOG''s OEC?! Sorry...I
30.gif
GOG''s diamonds!

jjc

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Luckyeshe! You are always so kind
5.gif

I''m not sure what we''ll end up with...but both options are amazing, so I trust that the right stone for us will find us when the time is right!
2.gif
1.gif

purelily

Shiny_Rock
Thats exciting JJC!!! I hope the rest everything works out wonderfully for you :)

jjc

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much purelily!
I already posted in your thread, but I just wanted to send more TONS OF ****DUST**** your way!!!
9.gif

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
hi jjc, i was wondering what happened to you, i guess i should have figured you would be in LIW
3.gif

good luck with your e-ring!
9.gif

jjc

Brilliant_Rock
hello!
1.gif
Word is, you'll be moving on to the Newlyweds section soon - congrats lady!!! Sososo excited for you, can't wait to see all your pictures!
36.gif
9.gif
Have you posted in the show me your wedding dresses thread?? *runs off to check*

PS - the boy narrowed down his crazy ballpark to before May...my guess is March
5.gif
Looking at diamonds soon - Ari told the BF he was nuts to come me out now haha!
4.gif
Of course the BF decides to take Ari's advice
20.gif
I'm just glad BF's not a basketcase anymore
3.gif

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats good news JJC! Although I dont have any
38.gif
, I love old stones! Be sure to show it off over in SMTR!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results