shape
carat
color
clarity

Am i the only nut that spent more on a diamond than on a car?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
spent $26,500 on a 3+ ct.
spent $24,200 on a truck.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/12/2004 11:23:19 PM vtigger86 wrote:

spent $24,200 on a truck.----------------

Yep, you probably are the ONLY person here who has enough money to buy both of these luxeries and have money left to eat
2.gif
lol We have a mortgage, a second property we plan to build on & are paying on, two little boys to pay expenses on, two car payments, etc., PLUST I don't work, so we do all this on one income, so I doubt I'd ever spend 26K on a diamond unless we won the lottery. Even then, I wouldn't spend THAT MUCH on a singe diamond since then I'd be looking at private schools for the kids and a bigger house!
9.gif

Michelle

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Vtigger, probably not; but you are the only one I know of.
9.gif

Shay

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/13/2004 12:24:46 AM MichelleCarmen wrote:

----------------

Yep, you probably are the ONLY person here who has enough money to buy both of these luxeries and have money left to eat
2.gif
lol We have a mortgage, a second property we plan to build on & are paying on, two little boys to pay expenses on, two car payments, etc., PLUST I don't work, so we do all this on one income, so I doubt I'd ever spend 26K on a diamond unless we won the lottery. Even then, I wouldn't spend THAT MUCH on a singe diamond since then I'd be looking at private schools for the kids and a bigger house!
9.gif

Michelle
----------------

michelle,
i have no choice but to buy a new truck , my old truck was leaking oil so bad that when i go into the gas station i tell the attendent to (fill up the oil and check the gas)and over heating all the time. you're lucky your boys are still young so they are pretty cheap to maintenance. wait until they are teenagers and start driving buy them a car,college tuition... AUTO INSURANCE BILL SHOCK !!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/13/2004 1:46:36 AM vtigger86 wrote:

----------------

----------------

2.gif
9.gif

Michelle
----------------

michelle,
i have no choice but to buy a new truck , my old truck was leaking oil so bad that when i go into the gas station i tell the attendent to (fill up the oil and check the gas)and over heating all the time. you're lucky your boys are still young so they are pretty cheap to maintenance. wait until they are teenagers and start driving buy them a car,college tuition. CAR INSURANCE BILL SHOCK !!! ----------------

I can relate to your new truck needs as my explorer too was being forced to live beyond its lifespan! lol It was literally falling apart!
9.gif

Regarding the kids. . . my plan is to keep on buying newer cars every five years and hopefully the timing works out perfectly to pass one of our older cars onto them and THEN upgrade to a fancy car. After all these roomy automobiles that offer space for double strollers, groceries, and various other items, I'm hoping to downsize to a nice little cute Mercedes convertible that only fits two people. lol! Kids must get a job if they want a car & will have to pay their own insurance. There's no question that they are monsters now and will be then and in the upper bracket for higher premiums and there's no way in h*ll I'm paying for their extra costs resulting from speeding tickets and all that.

I do think it's cool that you and your wife both got new treats
1.gif
Congratulations!

Michelle

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/13/2004 2:11:51 AM MichelleCarmen wrote:

----------------
On 7/13/2004 1:46:36 AM vtigger86 wrote:

----------------

----------------

2.gif
9.gif

Michelle
----------------

michelle,
i have no choice but to buy a new truck , my old truck was leaking oil so bad that when i go into the gas station i tell the attendent to (fill up the oil and check the gas)and over heating all the time. you're lucky your boys are still young so they are pretty cheap to maintenance. wait until they are teenagers and start driving buy them a car,college tuition. CAR INSURANCE BILL SHOCK !!! ----------------

I can relate to your new truck needs as my explorer too was being forced to live beyond its lifespan! lol It was literally falling apart!
9.gif

Regarding the kids. . . my plan is to keep on buying newer cars every five years and hopefully the timing works out perfectly to pass one of our older cars onto them and THEN upgrade to a fancy car. After all these roomy automobiles that offer space for double strollers, groceries, and various other items, I'm hoping to downsize to a nice little cute Mercedes convertible that only fits two people. lol! Kids must get a job if they want a car & will have to pay their own insurance. There's no question that they are monsters now and will be then and in the upper bracket for higher premiums and there's no way in h*ll I'm paying for their extra costs resulting from speeding tickets and all that.

I do think it's cool that you and your wife both got new treats
1.gif
Congratulations!

Michelle----------------

Michelle,
Forget about your mercedes ,buy your kids a couple of BMW convertibles LOL...my 17 yr old daughter is driving a honda civic and the insurance is killing me $2400 a year.

GLudlow

Rough_Rock
Oh come now, you can't justify spending $24k on a new truck just because your old one was leaking oil. A VERY nice used truck would only cost $10k, and then you could have purchased a $40k diamond. Imagine that!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
perhaps you could have saved by getting a vvs6 instead of a vvs8 engine...
naughty.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/13/2004 8:53:58 AM GLudlow wrote:

Oh come now, you can't justify spending $24k on a new truck just because your old one was leaking oil. A VERY nice used truck would only cost $10k, and then you could have purchased a $40k diamond. Imagine that!----------------

Gludlow
I would of love to buy a nice used truck,but this was 2001 and is the first year toyota tacoma come with 4 doors,so a used one wasn't available.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/13/2004 9:34:22 AM moremoremore wrote:

perhaps you could have saved by getting a vvs6 instead of a vvs8 engine...
naughty.gif
----------------

MMM
I did buy a vvs6 ,i wish there was a vvs8 engine available sure could use the extra power.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Heck VT, I bought a house for 8k and another for 16. just think, you could have had two houses for less than you spent on your diamond.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/13/2004 3:01:24 PM Wink wrote:

Heck VT, I bought a house for 8k and another for 16. just think, you could have had two houses for less than you spent on your diamond.

----------------

Wink
Wow!!!
eek.gif
24k for 2 houses that tells me either you are a very old man LOL !!! you purchase the homes 40 yrs ago or houses are very cheap in idaho so which is it ?
9.gif

foundnemo

Shiny_Rock
I think many of us here spent more than a car, just a different car compared to yours (Echo...Civic...)
5.gif

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
I wish my husband had your mindset
1.gif
He doesn't believe in diamonds bigger than 1ct so he spent $6,000 on the engagement ring then went out and paid $38,000 for a corvette. I got the short end of the stick but I still love him LOL.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It was only ten or fifteen years ago and the market was in the toilet here. They were trashed out fixer uppers. Sold the 8k for 40 and the 16k for 28. Hmm, what's wrong with that picture?

Sold them both too cheap too, that's what REALLY reeks. If I had not tried to be the realtor as well as the fixer upper, I would have made some REAL money, and oh, yes, I am a geezer. Be 58 in December.

Wink

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
WOW!!! $26K here is not even a decent downpayment on any real estate here...and we're talking about apartments and not even houses WITH land!

Market's a bit high, but on average, We're looking at not even 1Brs for under $275K...Man I wish I could buy a home for $8K, fixer-uper or NOT!
cry.gif

http://www.hobokenhomes.com/

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/13/2004 5:13:44 PM marriahlyn wrote:

1.gif
He doesn't believe in diamonds bigger than 1ct so he spent $6,000 on the engagement ring then went out and paid $38,000 for a corvette. I got the short end of the stick but I still love him LOL.----------------

Wish mine had that mindset also. He spent major bucks on a 35 foot power boat and still has no use for jewelry!!!!! I do have some influence though, the boat's name is "WHITE DIAMOND"!!! (It's a REALLY long story!)

I'll never see the day that he will spend even 1/10th of what was spent on the boat on a diamond. BUT, I sure do enjoy cruising though!!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/13/2004 5:42:00 PM icelady wrote:

----------------
On 7/13/2004 5:13:44 PM marriahlyn wrote:

1.gif
He doesn't believe in diamonds bigger than 1ct so he spent $6,000 on the engagement ring then went out and paid $38,000 for a corvette. I got the short end of the stick but I still love him LOL.----------------

Wish mine had that mindset also. He spent major bucks on a 35 foot power boat and still has no use for jewelry!!!!! I do have some influence though, the boat's name is 'WHITE DIAMOND'!!! (It's a REALLY long story!)

I'll never see the day that he will spend even 1/10th of what was spent on the boat on a diamond. BUT, I sure do enjoy cruising though!!!----------------

icelady
wow!!! 35 foot boat i wish i had that kind of $$$,O.K. all P.S. members are invited to a sunset cruise on icelady's yacht.

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
HMMMM! Sunset cruise, sounds good to me!! We have beautiful sunsets too!!
10.gif
Wait til ya hear those turbos wind up!

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Hey that's great .... don't forget to bring the beer Rhino!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/13/2004 9:13:27 PM icelady wrote:

HMMMM! Sunset cruise, sounds good to me!! We have beautiful sunsets too!!
10.gif
Wait til ya hear those turbos wind up!----------------

icelady,
you had me worry for awhile, i thought you ask leonid to delete this post. because the sunset cruise was off. don't be a party pooper.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 7/13/2004 5:42:00 PM icelady wrote:

boat's name is 'WHITE DIAMOND'!!!

----------------

Oh Say it isn't so!!!
cry.gif
Bad memories, bad memories!!
9.gif

starfire

Shiny_Rock
You people in the States are lucky that your car prices are so low. If you live in Singapore, like me, you will find car prices here astronomical.

For example, a Volvo XC90 2.5 AWD costs US$116,000 here (I picked mine up last week)... Even a Camry 2.4 will set you back over US$60,000.

And this price includes a Certificate of Entitlement, which is pretty much a "permit" to own a car, which costs about US$17,000 (it varies based on engine capacity)! We ration the number of cars allowed on the road in Singapore, because we are a tiny country (640 sq km, or that tiny speck on the world map).

On top of the high car prices, our petrol costs about US$0.80+ per liter. And our road taxes are designed to tax big engine users more money.

And let's not get started on housing costs...

Strangely though, Mercedes Benz sold as many cars in Singapore as Toyota did a few years back.

In comparison to us in Singapore, you guys are lucky you could spend less on a car and a diamond than for us to even buy a car.

Cheers!
Stephen Tan
Charlotte Atelier
Singapore

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Vtigger,

I wasn't sure what happened, but my last post teasing Rhino about not bringing the beer 1.4 years late never got reloaded! I thought it was something I said!! No party pooper here!!!

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Mara,

That name was on the back of our boat before the "infamous" WD of PS fame!
14.gif

I did think about that when I wrote that response. We haven't heard much from ol' WD (thankfully). I can assure you that we didn't name the boat after her!!!

So far, we only have good memories being created with our "White Diamond"! (Notice cap lock wasn't used this time
11.gif
11.gif
)!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/15/2004 7:23:36 AM icelady wrote:

Mara,

That name was on the back of our boat before the 'infamous' WD of PS fame!
14.gif

So far, we only have good memories being created with our 'White Diamond'! (Notice cap lock wasn't used this time
11.gif
11.gif
)!----------------

Could be foreshadowing!
6.gif
cry.gif
Tell me your boats name isn't written in all caps?
wink2.gif

Cool name for a boat though.
9.gif

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
F&I,

Nope, at least there is a difference between the W and the D from the size of the rest of the letters!!!
9.gif

My husband doesn't wear jewelry, so his White Diamond is our boat!!
twirl.gif

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Nicrez
1.gif
you just wait til you buy a little condo in boken & find out how much they tax those lil boxes...
6.gif
suddenly ~$8K for a ring doesn't sound bad when you consider that's how much you pay in NJ RE state tax each yr
cry.gif
- on top of half a mil for a decent 2 bdrm condo.
14.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results