shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I nuts or what???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

As some of you know, I have been contemplating changing my current e-ring setting, because there is NO WAY any kind of w-band will sit flush, and I know this is going to bother me in the long run. Anyway, I contacted Mark (at ERD, where we purchased the stone from) and he said that he is going to take a look at my setting to see what he can do (e.g. raise the basket), so that a w-band can slip under it. Or, I may change the whole setting- I really love the Ritani micropave ones! The wedding is not till next yr, so I told him there was no rush, but that got me to thinking....

Since the ring is either going to have to be modified or I am going to get a completely different setting, maybe this is my time to UPGRADE MY DIAMOND!!! I have to say (and I would only say it here) that I have always loved my diamond, but it was not the size I ideally wanted (gosh, I feel like such a spoiled brat saying this, because I know I am very lucky to have the stone I have in the size I have it in, and we only got engaged last Nov)!!! My diamond is a 1.7c EC, G/VS1, and its is really pretty. The stone has great proportions, and looks a little bigger than its carat wt in general, but I want a little more size!!! Am I bad or what????

Does any one know how much bigger (ct wise) I would need to go to get a VISUAL size difference??? Just want to find out it this is do-able or not...

Thanks in advance!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
keep in mind that the ritani is super thin so the upgrade may even not be necessary...but hey why not! hehe.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Ha ha Mara...my band right now is super-thin though, I will attach some pics...

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Pic # 1

ecpic2.JPG

dani13

Ideal_Rock
pic 2

ecpicone.JPG

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Sorry the last one is so blurry...

Here is a pic of the pave basket...

pitaeg.JPG

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dani, I say go for it if you can, though your ring sounds stunning. Remember, though, I am probably not the best one to ask, since I went for a 3 stone e/c ring totaling 5 carats to a 9 carat emerald cut with tapered baguettes, so I am not the person to advise you NOT to go bigger!
emwink.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2006 3:38:53 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

I so love the elegance of your ring though.. it just screams class.
Thanks SDL!!!
I really love my ring too- ideally just want a tad bit BIGGER....
I am such a brat!
11.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2006 3:40:09 PM
Author: diamondfan
Dani, I say go for it if you can, though your ring sounds stunning. Remember, though, I am probably not the best one to ask, since I went for a 3 stone e/c ring totaling 5 carats to a 9 carat emerald cut with tapered baguettes, so I am not the person to advise you NOT to go bigger!
emwink.gif
Thanks DF!!!
Yeah, I wouldn''t have needed to ask you... I so already knew what you answer would have been!!!!!!!!!LOL LOL
2.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Does any one know how much bigger I would need to go to make a difference visually?

Grace43537

Rough_Rock
Dani: I don''t know how much bigger you''ll need to go for a difference in appearance, but I know how you feel re: being a spoiled brat! I upgraded my original .46 less than a year after getting married to a .80 and now, less than a year later) I want to upgrade again
11.gif
Hubby and I have the stone on layaway..it''s 1.05 and is beautiful. I always ask my dh if he thinks I''m a spoiled brat, and of course he says I''m not (yeah right)
9.gif
He thinks I''m trying to compete with someone but fails to name any names. Good Luck!
-Grace

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know EC''s well enough to know either but if you''re going to change the setting, now would definitely be a good time to upgrade the stone
11.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol! This place is bad for DSS! Gosh, the sad thing is you are at 1.7, so you''d be looking at over 2 cts. to get any visible size difference. Have you priced them over 2 cts? Probably a big jump up in price.

dani13

Ideal_Rock

Date: 7/11/2006 5:12:38 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Lol! This place is bad for DSS! Gosh, the sad thing is you are at 1.7, so you''d be looking at over 2 cts. to get any visible size difference. Have you priced them over 2 cts? Probably a big jump up in price.

No, I have not priced them yet- but that is what I was thinking. I honestly have not seen a huge visual difference between my stone and a EC at the 2 ct mark. No matter what, I think we are looking at at least a 5K jump. OUCH.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah. There''s room on that finger to go bigger.
2.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dani, I think if you can you should just go in to a jewelry store you like and try on different sizes...get a sense of things on your finger! And it will be fun too!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2006 11:55:11 PM
Dani, I think if you can you should just go in to a jewelry store you like and try on different sizes...get a sense of things on your finger! And it will be fun too!

Hmm. That sounds like a TON of fun. Also sounds like a good way to get into trouble! LOL.
11.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
G, yes, it can lead to some big troubles, but also can be very eye opening!!! (I got my jones from seeing someone''s ring, that started me on the whole second upgrade process!)

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dani, no you''re not nuts. You''re a typical PSer. LOL. If this place didn''t exist I guarantee that at least half of the upgrades here would never have happened! We''re starting to see more and more newly engaged ladies upgrade once or even twice before they''re even married!!! So you''re totally normal....at least, here on PS.
9.gif

I agree that you need to go try some rings on to see when YOU will notice the size difference. 1.7 is already a monster rock so I''m thinking you''d have to go at least 2 carats.
1.gif
Since upgrade mania is a sickness around here, I would recommend that you sink your money into the biggest and best cut stone you can afford, and keeping the setting as simple as possible (Tiff style solitaire?) so if you can''t upgrade the stone again later then at the very least you wouldn''t feel so bad about upgrading your setting.
9.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Diamondfan- I would LOVE to go try on different size stones, but I am thinking Gypsy is right, that might be dangerous....
11.gif

KristyDarling- Getting all of the extra $$ together to upgrade to a stone that would really make a visual difference (e.g. over 2 cts) may not be feasible right now, since we have a wedding to pay for...sigh...
8.gif
I just may have to wait...as for the setting, I am going to have to either change it or get my jeweler to modify the setting so that a w-band will sit flush....

I think I am thinking about this now because the stone that I get married with is the stone that I think I will feel the most sentimental about...like I may not want to give up the diamond I have now once we are married because I will be too attached to it- does that make sense? Because I am positive I want to upgrade at some point, definitely. Maybe I am just thinking about this way too much!!!
2.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2006 11:59:37 PM
G, yes, it can lead to some big troubles, but also can be very eye opening!!! (I got my jones from seeing someone's ring, that started me on the whole second upgrade process!)
Oh yeah. I can imagine. I'm worried about visiting GOG on the 25th. If they have that amazing 2.26 asscher I'm gonna have to try that puppy on in one of their temp settings.
11.gif

Dani. I have trouble committing to my diamond as well. I totally understand. Once I'm married. This thing is permanent. Oy.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2006 1:25:45 AM
Author: Gypsy

Date: 7/11/2006 11:59:37 PM
G, yes, it can lead to some big troubles, but also can be very eye opening!!! (I got my jones from seeing someone''s ring, that started me on the whole second upgrade process!)
Oh yeah. I can imagine. I''m worried about visiting GOG on the 25th. If they have that amazing 2.26 asscher I''m gonna have to try that puppy on in one of their temp settings.
11.gif

Dani. I have trouble committing to my diamond as well. I totally understand. Once I''m married. This thing is permanent. Oy.
Oh my, I hope you get to try it on Gypsy. I am in love with that stone. I have never been to GOG but it''s definitely on my to do list. Have fun!!!!!
1.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, which stone is this? I see in your avatar a stunning blue stone, but need to be in the loop here! I hope you love this one at GOG, what fun! (I love emerald cuts, but boy asschers are a close second!)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you bad?
emembarrassed.gif
NO!
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results