shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I Missing Something?? (Kinda off topic...)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Anyone watch the tv show Joey??

A couple weeks ago there was an episode with another sister of Joey and her engagement ring. I wasn''t paying very much attention to it, but I''m pretty sure that the characters were playing around with a blacklight and found that the engagement did not "glow" while some other jewelry did. One of the characters exclaimed that the ring was a fake because "real gems glow!" The entire show was then around this "fake" diamond, etc...

Am I missing something from this episode or did these writers totally screw this one up??

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Thats exactly what happened, I thought it was interesting too. I was explaining to the FI that a real diamond shouldnt glow... unless it had flourecence.

ETA: In this thread, Richard Sherwood comments that CZs usually glow yellow or orangey-yellow in black light.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Thanks NJC, at least I''m not going crazy!

Yeah, I remember that comment about CZ glowing that color, which just makes the episode even more incorrect! Sad how these silly things on tv bother me
2.gif
LOL

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Though being the nosy person that I am, I just took my blacklight and a couple pairs of my CZ earrings, and none of them had any fluorescence at all....

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Huh... i wonder what that means? Quartz or something like that?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I remember that and I was laughing to my DH about how all across America these women would be accusing their poor fiances or husbands of getting them fake rings!
9.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/18/2005 10:45:37 AM
Author: njc
Huh... i wonder what that means? Quartz or something like that?
Nope. Only some CZ have any fluorescence, just like only some diamonds have. Fluorescence is not a useful ID at all.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results