shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I jumping the gun?

delta_loves_alpha

Rough_Rock
So I KNOW the proposal is coming. Our situation is complicated with having to keep our relationship a secret at work, but we've been pretty open about everything. I've shown the BF rings I like, he's actively seeking my feedback on them, and even went so far as to print out all of the examples I'd sent him (I found them on the printer the other day - eek!). We've already "decided" on a date for next October, which is sentimental to me since it's my parent's and great-grandparents anniversary as well. When he asked how long I need to plan the wedding, I told him about 6 months (its going to be SUPER small...parents/grandparents and a couple close friends).

I've had my eye on a particular photographer for a while now. He's in fairly high demand in my area, and I'm SO AFRAID that if I wait until we're officially engaged (which could be as close to six months out, or it could be next month, I really have no idea) he'll be booked for my date. I've got my heart set on both the photographer and the planned date...so should I reserve him now? Is it crazy to do that without a ring on my finger?

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like a topic worthy of discussion with your boyfriend. Might even spur things along with the proposal. Others PSers have planned parts of their wedding before being engaged due to concerns of preferred venues or vendors being booked if they waited, so it's probably not that unusual.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
Just bring it up with your BF and make sure you're on the same page before you make any major decisions. If he's okay with booking the photographer before the official engagement, and you're absolutely set on your date, then I don't see a problem with it.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
You should really ask your boyf if you should go ahead and book. I would hate for your to rely on advice from relative strangers.. 8)

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that you should def ask you boyfriend how he feels about it. But I completely understand where you are coming from. Having a good photographer is really important to capture the memories of your special day. My boyfriend has our ring but hasnt officially proposed yet and I have already started getting pricing info from venues since we want to have a December wedding. And ofcourse I am getting shocked why is planning a wedding sooo expensive !!! ???

delta_loves_alpha

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! We've sort of talked about it, I showed him the site and he likes the photographer as well, I guess I just need to be more direct with him about it and not wait for him to suggest that we go ahead and book. Despite being wonderful and sensitive, he is still a man and pretty oblivious to gentle hinting :bigsmile:

SERIOUSLY Hospatogi!I don't know where you live, but I was reading the other day that my location is, of course, on the list of "10 most expensive areas to have a wedding." Sigh. I'm letting photography be my big splurge, and everything else I'm hoping to do on the cheap. We'll see...good luck to you!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck delta. I live in an expensive area (my metro area) and it all adds up quickly!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Email the photographer and make sure he's still available for that date. Then talk to your boyfriend. He seems like he'd be fine with that conversation.

If it makes you feel better, my fiance and I booked and put a deposit down on our venue before we were engaged.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
delta_loves_alpha|1308308306|2948236 said:
Thanks everyone! We've sort of talked about it, I showed him the site and he likes the photographer as well, I guess I just need to be more direct with him about it and not wait for him to suggest that we go ahead and book. Despite being wonderful and sensitive, he is still a man and pretty oblivious to gentle hinting :bigsmile:

SERIOUSLY Hospatogi!I don't know where you live, but I was reading the other day that my location is, of course, on the list of "10 most expensive areas to have a wedding." Sigh. I'm letting photography be my big splurge, and everything else I'm hoping to do on the cheap. We'll see...good luck to you!
We are trying to have it out in california where my boyfriend lives and I cant believe what some of those places charge for weddings..I told my boyfriend we should just go to Vegas and elope and I was only half kidding !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results