shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I crazy? Proposal in orthadonist office?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nkyguy

Rough_Rock
Here is the background. GF and I have been dating for over 3 1/2 years. We''ve been ring shopping, she picked a setting out... she knows the time is near. I want it to be a total surprise though. She''s insisted to me in the past that she''d like to wait until her braces are off (yes, she''s of age, she''s 28 you guys! Come on!). So I think she thinks it will be shortly AFTER she gets the braces off. I''d like to do it RIGHT after that. Like in the office or outside the office.

Here are a couple of scenarios. What are your thoughts?

1.) Propose in the office right after the last bracket comes off. I''d have to try to co-ordinate with the orthodinist and have him suggest an "assistant" or something needs to look at something once he is done. Then I pop in the room and say "I couldn''t wait a minute longer, your braces are off, will you marry me?". I think it is kinda cute.

2.) I wait outside the office and ask her when she walks out, a more intimiate moment I suppose since it wouldn''t be right after a dentist was ripping things off your teeth.

There is a "rub" however. They aren''t sure if they are taking the upper and lower off at the same time. If they end up taking both off at the same time, I might not know unless I co-ordinate with the orthodonist.

Any thoughts? Is this silly?

Thanks in advance.

LDubs

Shiny_Rock
I''d wait and do it afterwards - I know after I had my braces off - there was a bunch of residue from the glue, and nasty little bits left all over my face as the ortho was pulling them off. The romantic moment may be lost a little if she realizes that everyone''s watching her reaction as she has bits and pieces stuck around her mouth
7.gif

Wait til she''s all cleaned up, outside the dentist''s office and loving her new smile, then do it.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
It''s lovely how you''ve thought about how important her new smile is to her and you want to work that in
36.gif

That said, I have to agree with everything LDubs said about the icky factor with anything dental related! If she''s concerned about having her braces off for the engagement, I doubt she wants to be proposed to in an orthodontist''s studio potentially looking less than glamorous.

Providing both sets of braces definitely come off, I would surprise her right outside the door. Meet her when she comes out and take her somewhere romantic to pop the question. She may be expecting it that evening but she probably won''t expect you to be right there immediately after the appointment!

Hey could you take her for a photoshoot after the appointment, to show off her new smile? And propose with the photographer there to document it?

nkyguy

Rough_Rock
I never had braces so I wasn''t sure what all was involved. Thanks for pointing it out that it may be a less than flattering time to propose!

My only question is, you say to meet her outside and go somewhere to propose, if I show up when she gets them off, she''ll know right away something is up. I think I would have to propose right as she walks out the door. Perhaps I could propose and we could go to a nice place to eat afterwards?

Other ideas were a bike ride (our first date was a bike ride) or on a camping trip since we like to go boat camping in the summer.

IrishBreakfast

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/26/2008 1:38:04 PM
Author: Delster
Hey could you take her for a photoshoot after the appointment, to show off her new smile? And propose with the photographer there to document it?
OMG Delster! I swear you read my mind! I was going to say exactly the same thing!
6.gif
1.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
It doesn''t hurt to have them taken off, does it? Because my first concern would be that she might be in a bit of pain, but I really don''t know since I''ve never had them. I just always associate anything dental with pain.
3.gif

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I personally think you should wait and not do it at the office at all. I understand the meaning behind wanting to do it there, but I just don't think a doctor's office just isn't the best place, IMO.

How about taking her out to dinner that night to celebrate the removal of the braces, and proposing after she eats her first meal without them? It would give you time to find out if they removed all them or not that day also.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
No it doesn't hurt at all to have them taken off. It doesn't hurt having them put on or tightened either. The pain comes from the tension, it's a gradual thing. Braces hurt!

nkyguy I wouldn't drop to one knee on the pavement outside the orthodontists. Doing it in a place or while doing an activity that's special to you both sounds lovely. The bike ride and camping trip are both really nice ideas!

Is it important to you that the proposal is a total surprise? It sounds like maybe you want it to be kind of bam, surprise the heck out of her and propose right away that second? Or am I reading that wrong? I do think that very few of the women on here report having been genuinely socks-knocked-off surprised. They've usually been hoping and suspecting and they can read their men like an open book
2.gif
They might not have realised it would for sure be that day but they generally seem to clock what's happening well before the actual question.

I'm just wondering about that because the bike ride / boat camping might be just as likely to tip her off. Although that wouldn't bother me as I don't think a little suspense ever hurts! And I think it'd be much more romantic to build up to it than to do it on the pavement outside the orthodontist's just for the surprise factor.

I still love the idea of doing it the day the braces come off. She will definitely be so moved you couldn't wait even one day past her braces-off-stipulation!
36.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2008 2:30:49 PM
Author: orbaya
I personally think you should wait and not do it at the office at all. I understand the meaning behind wanting to do it there, but I just don''t think a doctor''s office just isn''t the best place, IMO.

How about taking her out to dinner that night to celebrate the removal of the braces, and proposing after she eats her first meal without them? It would give you time to find out if they removed all them or not that day also.
Ditto. After they have been messing in your mouth for an hour, you definitely won''t feel like it is the right time for a proposal. But if you want to take her out for dinner that night, when she has had a chance to redo her make-up, change clothes, etc., then that would be fine. I just think it would be a letdown to be proposed to in or even outside an orthodontist''s office. Please wait until there is a more romantic setting!!!

nkyguy

Rough_Rock
Well I''m glad I posted on here. My friend thought this was the best idea since scliced bread, and of course being a guy, I know I don''t pick up on details sometimes. So I am re-thinking the immediate question from the dentists office. Personally I thought it would make for a memorable story that would never get old. But it isn''t terribly romantic is it? :)

I just get nervous about taking a ring like I got in a pocket or something on the lake. Plus I think waiting until the sunsets in front of a camp fire would just kill me. But if it would kill me, it probably would be a good way to do it. I just can''t imagine losing something like an E-ring... I''m sure it has happened! I can''t exactly put it on the boat key ring either.
11.gif
Hmm... that just gave me an idea too... She always starts the boat when we go out and backs it into the water. I wonder if she''d notice an E-ring on the keychain...
9.gif

LDubs

Shiny_Rock
boat! water! sunset! Much better than nasty orthodontist offices :)

good luck!

StarWisher

Rough_Rock
I like the idea of proposing outside the office and then taking her somewhere. I think it is sweet. I think she will be so surprised and excited to be getting engaged. I know I personally didn''t care where it happened just that it happened and it had special meaning to the two of us. This sounds like it has special meaning to the two of you! But I definitely agree with waiting until she cleans herself up :)!!!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
As a 28 year old girl with braces I can assure you she will not be in the romantic mood in the chair :).

Can you possibly take her for a picnic to celebrate with her after her appointment and pack all the naughty foods that she loves but couldn''t eat while she had them on and propose sometime there?

I know as soon as these suckers come of I am gonna nab me something sticky and chewy
9.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
deelight you are hilarious! Oh how delicious was that first toffee after five years of braces? The first baguette I didn''t have to eat with a knife and fork?
18.gif
Actually I still eat apples with a knife. Can''t bring myself to bite into one. Old habits die hard
9.gif

nkyguy your ideas are great. It''s obvious you''re putting a lot of thought into this. She''s a lucky girl!
36.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I kinda disagree with the romantic sentiment...

Granted, I was in 8th grade when I got my braces off, but I remember it was a BIG DEAL! They had my name on a board when I came in, and then they popped ''em all off (it''s super easy btw), I think I brushed my teeth afterward, and then I came out to the reception room to show my mom, and there was a mirror so I got to stare at my smile as much as I wanted (I remember my teeth felt SO slimy!) and then they took my picture. It was supreme coolness. I''m a big kid - I gotta be honest, I would think that the proposal on my braces-off day would be ULTRA SUPER COOL. There are some cool ways you could play it - she comes out to the reception room, the recpetionist says "Okay, I''m going to take your picture!" and then you get down on one knee... it could be cute. But remember that there would be a receptionist there, perhaps some screaming children, etc...hmmm.

LOVE the idea of arranging for a photographer to take your photos after as a surprise. There was the cutest park across the street from my orthodontist, that would have been a perfect idea.

To be honest - I don''t like the idea of a boat and sunset, fancy dinner...unless you think she''ll be more delighted in those situations. Not all women are romantics or view the same thing as romance (I was proposed to after eating asiago pasta from the deli at Schnuck''s and hanging out on my campus''s quad - I can''t imagine a more perfect setting or afternoon . It would have felt strange if we would have been at a fancy restaurant or on a boat or something that was out of the ordinary for us). Proposals should be about the couple, and if you know she''s going to be ultra happy about getting her braces off, add to the happy occasion with a proposal!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Is it silly? Yes.

Sweet perhaps. But silly. And not the romantic moment every woman hopes for.

But congratulations on your impending proposal! Whatever you do, have fun with it.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d tell her that you''re going to take her for lunch somewhere nice after she gets her braces off and I''d take her somewhere romantic and propose then. I had braces myself and I wouldn''t have wanted to be proposed to at the orthodontists-I hated that place!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 8:00:17 PM
Author: bee*
I''d tell her that you''re going to take her for lunch somewhere nice after she gets her braces off and I''d take her somewhere romantic and propose then. I had braces myself and I wouldn''t have wanted to be proposed to at the orthodontists-I hated that place!
Ditto, no proposing in the orthdontists office. Plus after having them off all she''ll want to do is run her tongue over her smooth teeth. Leave it for another day, like the day after perhaps. Take her to a romantic spot, and then do it. Her focus will be on you and the ring instead of her teeth.
9.gif

nkyguy

Rough_Rock
She and I boat all the time and love camping. So the camping/boating idea has meaning to us. She got braces shortly after we started dating. I was there for her jaw surgery blending food for her, getting creative with food for her, and trying to understand her plight. Heck her parents stayed at my house with her and I for 2 weeks after the surgery! She is SO ready to be done with the braces and SO excited about getting them off.

It is so interesting to see everyone''s thoughts though.

I''ve thought of ways I could propose on that day AND be a little mischievous in the process...
11.gif

Meet her right after the braces come off and take her out to eat for lunch. Then plan a romantic dinner and have something in my pocket that looks like a ring box... But in the meantime have the house all setup for the proposal later. That way maybe she is anticipating it at all the wrong times... And just when she thinks it WON''T happen that day, it does... Candles, petals, etc...

And I thought picking out the ring was difficult!
38.gif
3.gif

Date: 5/28/2008 2:23:19 PM
Author: Elmorton
Okay, I kinda disagree with the romantic sentiment...

Granted, I was in 8th grade when I got my braces off, but I remember it was a BIG DEAL! They had my name on a board when I came in, and then they popped ''em all off (it''s super easy btw), I think I brushed my teeth afterward, and then I came out to the reception room to show my mom, and there was a mirror so I got to stare at my smile as much as I wanted (I remember my teeth felt SO slimy!) and then they took my picture. It was supreme coolness. I''m a big kid - I gotta be honest, I would think that the proposal on my braces-off day would be ULTRA SUPER COOL. There are some cool ways you could play it - she comes out to the reception room, the recpetionist says ''Okay, I''m going to take your picture!'' and then you get down on one knee... it could be cute. But remember that there would be a receptionist there, perhaps some screaming children, etc...hmmm.

LOVE the idea of arranging for a photographer to take your photos after as a surprise. There was the cutest park across the street from my orthodontist, that would have been a perfect idea.

To be honest - I don''t like the idea of a boat and sunset, fancy dinner...unless you think she''ll be more delighted in those situations. Not all women are romantics or view the same thing as romance (I was proposed to after eating asiago pasta from the deli at Schnuck''s and hanging out on my campus''s quad - I can''t imagine a more perfect setting or afternoon . It would have felt strange if we would have been at a fancy restaurant or on a boat or something that was out of the ordinary for us). Proposals should be about the couple, and if you know she''s going to be ultra happy about getting her braces off, add to the happy occasion with a proposal!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get that it is cute based on what she said, and not knowing her she might appreciate that.

However, may not be a great moment.

I would do it SOON after, and say something like, Well, you have been smiling a lot since you got the braces off. Here is something else that I hope is going to keep you smiling too...(then launch into the I love you and want to marry you part!!!)

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 6:58:56 AM
deelight you are hilarious! Oh how delicious was that first toffee after five years of braces? The first baguette I didn't have to eat with a knife and fork?
18.gif
Actually I still eat apples with a knife. Can't bring myself to bite into one. Old habits die hard
9.gif

I can't wait to actually be able to bite into things period ahhhh how I miss my powerful jaw only 1 yr and 7 months to go hopefully
6.gif
. LOL I eat apples with a knife as well I am always scared of accidentally finding a wormy or worse half a wormy
23.gif

Date: 5/28/2008 6:58:56 AM
nkyguy your ideas are great. It's obvious you're putting a lot of thought into this. She's a lucky girl!
36.gif

I agree I think no matter what you plan she will be stoked :)

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I had braces, so here is my suggestion. I craved foods I couldn''t eat, as did most of my friends with braces; in my case, a carmel apple.
If it were me in her place, here is how I think it should be handled. My Fi would take me afterwards to get me apple at a candy store which is in a beautiful old victorian square. After he bought it, we go outside and after I get the first bit I have been craving for a year and a half, he goes down on one knee.

This would work because you could suprise with a food she has missed where the store is in a nice place, maybe on a pier, and then bring out the ring.

heather318

Shiny_Rock
Maybe as she is finishing her appointment, the orthodontist or the receptionist could hand her an envelope that you have given them that tells her of a place to go.. Maybe somewhere thats special to the two of you.. Then you could be waiting and propose..

bella_vita

Rough_Rock
NKYguy -- i assume from your handle that you live in northery ky -- i do too.. actually your post is what brought me out of my year long lurkdom on this site so i really hope i can help you a little!!

last weekend i went to the butterfly show at krohn''s conservatory in eden park -- it was amazing and beautiful and so picturesque with hundreds of flowers and butterflies everywhere! i thought to myself that it would be a wonderful place to get engaged, so you might consider that. the eden park overlook is also really beautiful!! good luck and congratulations!! your future fiancee is such a lucky girl that you''re putting so much time and thought into making this such a perfect experience for her!!

CaféHummingbird

Rough_Rock
I''ve read this twice and thought about it. I had braces as an adult and after I got out of the chair I was too thrilled with staring at my teeth in the mirror.

We have a place here that does caramel/candied apples. They wrap them in plastic and tie them up with a ribbon at the counter. Would it be possible for you to get a caramel/candied apple, slip the ring on the stick and present it that way? Or you could get a kit from the grocer and have a make your own.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results