shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I being silly?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
My hubby and I are trying to book our holiday for this year. We have found a lovely resort but we can't agree on whether to have a villa with or without a pool.

We are taking four kids with us. Ages are 15, 12, 10 and 3.

I really don't think its a good idea to have a pool where James is. I know I am a good parent and will watch him carefully, but I can't stop worrying that he might make it outside on his own and end up falling into the pool.

My hubby is insisting that he wants a pool.... even though we can use the pool at the hotel which is at the resort too.

He has gone downstairs in a huff. I wish he would see it from my viewpoint. We James' twin was stillborn and I suppose I am over protective over him.

Would you have a swimming pool if you had a 3 year old? If you think I am over reacting just tell me.

Thank you
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think you are being silly Maisie. I wouldn''t want a pool either with a 3 year old..... It''s supposed to be a relaxing vacation, and with a pool right outside your villa, I''d be worried the whole time. Does that help??
2.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes it helps a lot! I honestly think I will be in panic mode the whole time. I definitely won''t be able to relax.

Thank you
1.gif

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I feel your pain, Maisie....My hubby and I have a 3 year old and are in the process of moving to Orlando, Florida. Many of the homes we have looked at have a pool in the backyard, and I won''t consider these homes for that very reason. I too think I''m a good mom, but you can watch them 24/7 and it would worry me sick. I don''t think you are being overprotective, just a good mom
1.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
if the pool outside the villa isn''t gated then I wouldn''t feel comfortable either. We actually went on a family vacation when my girls were 2 and 4 and stayed at a beach house with a private pool. there was a seperate gate for the pool and a latch that there was no way either of them could open it. the house was also alarmed so that any time a door opened a beep went off. I actually loved having the pool right there but also had a house full of adult family to help keep an eye on them. Now, if the pool was right outside the door, no gates, i''d be way more concerned.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I'd be concerned too, Maisie! Maybe you can use the opportunity to teach your boy to swim? Is 3 too young for that? I think that's around when I learned to swim.

Another possibility, in terms of keeping the peace, is to put 'floaties' on him whenever you're outside. You know, those inflatable things that go around a child's arms. That way, if he falls in, no big deal. Unless he wouldn't like that?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you''re right about not wanting easy access to the pool. It wouldn''t be relaxing at all for me either. I wouldn''t let him near any pool without a proper flotation vest on. I was always worried about that with my kids because once when my ILs were looking after them, they took them to the lake. My then 3 year old had never been to the lake before (just pools) and she actually ran straight into the water over her head the moment they put her on the ground!She would have done the same with me there, but I would have expected it, whereas they were shocked. You just never know what a kid is going to do or why.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have kids, but I can understand why you're worried - I've heard far too many horror stories! It just isn't conducive to you having a relaxing vacation.

I know I've seen these bracelets in some sort of catalog...they go around the child's wrist and sound an alarm when they get wet on a remote transmitter (like a baby monitor). The ones I'm remembering looked like a turtle maybe? If you could get something like that for your child, would you be less worried? It could be a good compromise.

ETA: Here it is, I saw it in Skymall
4.gif
http://www.skymall.com/shopping/detail.htm?pid=101810852&c=10530 Kind of pricey, but maybe worth it for peace of mind?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
No Maisie you aren''t being silly at all.

We have a pool in our backyard. Before our grandboys were born we didn''t have a gate around it. As soon as they were born, DH had someone come out and put an iron gate around the whole pool with a big fat pad lock on it.

My biggest worry was that they would eventually try to climb over it. Well they did try, but couldn''t. Our eyes, were never off of those two boys. Learning to swim, we were always out there with them, or their parents. Now they are 6 and 8 years old and avid little swimmers. I felt better having that gate there.

Anyway, I understand how you feel. Little lives are precious. I wouldn''t take any chances.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Just have to agree with everyone else here Maisie, there''s no way you''re being silly about this.
Husband in huff is horrible (mine could win prizes sometimes) but not as bad as spending your whole holiday worrying about your precious wee boy. I think you''re absolutely right to be concerned. Hope you can come to an understanding.

Jen

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/6/2008 5:34:20 PM
Author: Kaleigh
I don''t think you are being silly Maisie. I wouldn''t want a pool either with a 3 year old..... It''s supposed to be a relaxing vacation, and with a pool right outside your villa, I''d be worried the whole time. Does that help??
2.gif
I agree with Kaleigh, I too would be worried all the time with a 3 year old.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think that you''re being silly either. Would it be possible to find a villa with a gated pool or are they all open access?

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
I think you should compromise. Get the pool but take turns watching James. The other kids may think you are being unreasonable by focusing so much on him and not on the vacation and letting them have fun (you know how they can be over dramatic at times.
6.gif
)

When they are outside James stays inside and visa versa. Also, make sure he wears a life vest at all times. That way you can have a little peice of mind when it comes to the pool and his safety.

We have a pool in our backyard although it is covered at all times. If they are in the backyard horsing around near the pool, they wear a lifevest.

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
I think your husband is being silly. A vacation is supposed to be a reprieve from our everyday stresses and strains. Why would your husband want you to be worried your entire vacation? I know he really wouldn''t want that, but that is what will happen. If you had a pool at your home and all the kids knew the rules that would be a different story.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2008 5:55:57 AM
Author: Lorelei

2.gif
And I agree with Lorelei, who agrees with Kaleigh, who agrees with you.
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/7/2008 10:48:13 AM
Author: Ellen

2.gif
2.gif
Looks like we are all in agreement then.
31.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2008 10:50:17 AM

Date: 1/7/2008 10:48:13 AM
Author: Ellen

2.gif
2.gif
Looks like we are all in agreement then.
31.gif
Agreed.
9.gif
25.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its so beautiful that we all agree. No pool then!!!
36.gif

He actually agrees that we are right too - which is lovely!

He is whinging that the villa is pink and girly now!!! I think its very me! Maybe I need a new pink diamond to go with it?
9.gif

67Paraiso122_EXT_1.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you DESERVE a nice pink diamond Maise, I think we can all agree on that!
face20.gif

Lovely villa!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thankyou very much!! I agree of course, I am so worth it!!
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/7/2008 11:49:05 AM
Author: Maisie
Thankyou very much!! I agree of course, I am so worth it!!
36.gif
I am in complete agreement!
11.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results