shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I about to get ripped off, is this a good diamond?

Rmglenn

Rough_Rock
Hello. I am new to diamonds and just received this gia report. Can you help determine if this is a good diamond and approximate cost? Also, why is the report missing a cut grade? GIA report is below. Thank you for Any assistance.

14705750393431491479374.jpg

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It lacks a cut grade because of the sort of GIA report the seller ordered. GIA would give it a cut grade of "poor." They didn't want you to see that, obviously.

If this is an antique stone it may have been cut to a different aesthetic than a modern stone, and may look quite nice if different from what you expect from a modern stone. But it doesn't really appear to be an antique style based on the limited info in the report.

In any case you absolutely cannot evaluate a one of a kind off kilter cut from the information you have. Don't buy it.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It actually lacks a cut grade due to the modified shape. GIA only grades cut for 57-58 facet round brilliants.

More detail: The standard round brilliant has 33 facets on the crown and 24 on the pavilion. This one has horizontally split mains on the crown, resulting in 41 facets, and 4 facets splitting the traditional pavilion configuration at lower-half compass points. 69 facets total. I've seen the crown configuration before but if I know the name for this proprietary cut it's not coming to mind.

You may also wish to know that it spreads 5.88 mm, side to side. The report gives weight as 1.00 carat but much of that is in the depth (72.3%). That means, should the wearer compare, it will appear the same as as well-cut 0.75 carat round brilliants. Given the physics of light reflection/refraction that depth is not a good performance indicator for a round - although the split mains could change that. We'd need to see an ideal-scope or ASET image.

From a cutter's standpoint the indented naturals are a clear indication they wanted to plan this rough in some configuration that would yield a full carat, instead of shooting for a 0.70-0.75 carat standard round. If the aesthetic is appealing, no worries. But in terms of pricing do be aware it will face-up like others' 0.75 carats.

Link to report:
http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?rep...ryptedString=9767163E5741CE9EAC7F05B2E0CAE833

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the correction John. I was trying to convince myself it was an old cut out of RB parameters, but it's not--it's just incredibly deep. I also thought it might be an extremely old report, but it's May 2014.

Same advice though--it's non-standard, may or may not be what the OP thinks when they hear "diamond," and cannot be evaluated without videos, scopes, etc. But it doesn't look promising, even as a non-standard cut.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just say no.

Come here, post a thread with what you are looking for and a budget, and people will post excellent stones for you. This is the deepest round stone I have seen here, as far as I can recall.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results