shape
carat
color
clarity

Aluminum Foil - Who Knew

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alright, am I the only one in the world that didn''t know that there are tabs on the end of the aluminum foil box that you are supposed to push in to keep the freaking roll in the box and off the floor??? I''ve lived mmbph years and I didn''t know this. WHY DIDN''T SOMEONE TELL ME?????!!!
29.gif

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm. I''ll have to check that out. Obviously I''ve never known that either. My biggest pet peeve at the moment is having the giant Costco sized cling wrap where the top of the box got ripped away so that now every time you go to use it you are doubly exposed to the giant serrated edge. Ouch!!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2008 11:28:20 AM
Author:Catmom
Alright, am I the only one in the world that didn''t know that there are tabs on the end of the aluminum foil box that you are supposed to push in to keep the freaking roll in the box and off the floor??? I''ve lived mmbph years and I didn''t know this. WHY DIDN''T SOMEONE TELL ME?????!!!
29.gif

There are tabs??

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Tabs???
scratchhead.gif

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I knew, but I''ve never understood why they don''t just press them in for you in the factory? Would it be so hard?

Delster

Ideal_Rock
OK I went and checked. What tabs???
23.gif

ETA - oh the shame, you can see we've resorted to sellotape
20.gif

okwhattabs.JPG

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m sorry I didn''t tell you. I''m a control freak; I like having secrets; I''m in therapy. How can I make it up to you?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2008 11:47:32 AM
Author: Delster
OK I went and checked. What tabs???
23.gif
yea what brand has tabs?
I need a new hat so need to pick some up
9.gif

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
I had no idea also..Will have to check it out..

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Who knew??

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Well, at least on Reynolds Wrap there are this little perforated, uh, mitre shapes that you fold into the inside of the tube. Keeps the tube in place. Theoretically.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Say wha?

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I feel ever so much better! At least I''m not the only umm uninformed one yeah that''s it. My Jewel brand has them. Matata and Mercoledi, Geez you could have told us!!!!!!!

cmsfoil.jpg

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Awww wouldja you look at thaaat?
4.gif

I want one!
36.gif

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
What can I say? We've been out of foil for months!

(also sometimes found on waxed or parchment paper. just so ya know.)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never knew either. I just went and looked. I have Schnucks brand right now, but, the tabs are right there, in plain view. IF ONLY I KNEW TO LOOK THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE.
blankstare012.gif
Why would we/should we know that?? There should be an insert stating the notsoobvious.

I''m suing.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CLASS ACTION SUIT!!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Well, I know what I''m going to do when I get home now!

thanks for revealing this life-altering secret!

about the foil... my DH asked me if he was supposed to use the shiny side or the dull side. I said "what?" so is there an answer to that mystery?

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Depends what you're using it for sumbride. In some instances you want to think about it because the shiny side will reflect more heat back - so if you're baking something on foil for example, or wrapping something in foil, you may want to consider putting the shiny side towards the food. Or not. Depends on what you want to achieve!

I bet some of the master chefs on here will chime in with more helpful advice than mine!
35.gif

BTW do you say "a-LOO-min-um"? Cos we spell it 'aluminium' and pronounce it "al-yoo-MIN-ee-um"
9.gif

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
From the Reynolds Metals FAQ
Which side of Reynolds Wrap® Aluminum Foil should I use, the shiny or the dull side?
Actually, it makes no difference which side of the aluminum foil you use—both sides do the same fine job of cooking, freezing and storing food. The difference in appearance between dull and shiny is due to the foil manufacturing process. In the final rolling step, two layers of foil are passed through the rolling mill at the same time. The side coming in contact with the mill''s highly polished steel rollers becomes shiny. The other side, not coming in contact with the heavy rollers, comes out with a dull or matte finish.

The exception is when using Reynolds Wrap® Release® Non-Stick Aluminum Foil. The non-stick coating is applied during manufacturing to the dull side of the foil. Always place the non-stick (dull) side toward the food.

Also AlUMMinum.

FYI: Reynolds Metals/Kraft foods was and may still be owned by Philip Morris. Growing up I used to go to their company field days that highlight all the wonderful good from the Reynolds family of products. My favorite combination? Eskimo pies, Trojan condoms and Marlboro''s. Fun for the whole family!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
First I've heard of it.
32.gif
Well, I know what I'm doing when I get home today!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the definitive answer Mercoledi!!!

My BIL works for Kraft. I should ask him for a discount on foil. All he gives us now are Oscar Meyer Wienie Whistles. They''re fabulous! But as much as I blow, the Weinermobile has yet to show up at my house.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2008 1:25:49 PM
Author: mercoledi
From the Reynolds Metals FAQ
Which side of Reynolds Wrap® Aluminum Foil should I use, the shiny or the dull side?
Actually, it makes no difference which side of the aluminum foil you use—both sides do the same fine job of cooking, freezing and storing food. The difference in appearance between dull and shiny is due to the foil manufacturing process. In the final rolling step, two layers of foil are passed through the rolling mill at the same time. The side coming in contact with the mill''s highly polished steel rollers becomes shiny. The other side, not coming in contact with the heavy rollers, comes out with a dull or matte finish.
The exception is when using Reynolds Wrap® Release® Non-Stick Aluminum Foil. The non-stick coating is applied during manufacturing to the dull side of the foil. Always place the non-stick (dull) side toward the food.
Also AlUMMinum.

FYI: Reynolds Metals/Kraft foods was and may still be owned by Philip Morris. Growing up I used to go to their company field days that highlight all the wonderful good from the Reynolds family of products. My favorite combination? Eskimo pies, Trojan condoms and Marlboro''s. Fun for the whole family!
Oh my...hard to stop laughing when you keep reading that line over and over!

I don''t know if it really makes a difference or not. The more I think about it, the less I bet it does. Or if it does, I bet it''s so minuscule that you can''t even tell a difference.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I''m definitely enjoying the picture in my mind of those three products all together... that''s awesome!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
9.gif

breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Throw in a blue grass band a weenie stand for the full effect! I suppose there were some perks to growing up in the south!

Sum- I'm always jealous that you live in B-more in a townhouse. I've always loved that area!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2008 1:44:42 PM
Author: mercoledi
9.gif

Sum- I''m always jealous that you live in B-more in a townhouse. I''ve always loved that area!

Thanks! Most of the time it totally rocks! Couch shopping, snow-storm parking, and crime issues excluded, of course.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
haha i got that email too. i didn''t realized so many people didn''t see the tabs
2.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I always knew, I just never thought to tell you. I''m sorry
7.gif

There are also tabs on waxed paper, parchment paper, and saran. Certain brands only of course.

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
Catmom, did you learn this via e-mail??? If you did, so did I, just the other day, and I was absolutely FLOORED!! Who''da thunk it?? All these years, messing up the foil, yelling at DF for messing it up.... and there was a simple solution right under my nose!!!

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Say what?!
23.gif

LOL Never in my 26 years on this planet have I EVER heard about tabs to keep the roll from falling out. And that''s that I read up on stuff like that all the time...me = research junkie.

Now I have to get home and try it...hmmmmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results