shape
carat
color
clarity

Alternative women''s health products...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kimberlina13

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone here use a menstrual cup? Sorry to be so graphic. It just kills me to think about all the waste and money that is spent on disposable products (tampons, pads, etc). If anyone here does use them, thoughts? Love it, hate it? Any advice would be great!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think babies'' diapers have much more of an impact than the tampons I use (cardboard, not plastic!) so... yeah, I don''t worry about it too much.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
I tried one as a teen because a free one came in the mail so why not, right?
9.gif

I really have the worst memory (gosh it wasn''t THAT long ago) but I think it worked as it said it would. You put it in and it fills up, and then you tug it out and rinse. I don''t think I had a bad experience with it at all, so I''m not sure why it didn''t stick. I''m sure I was just too lazy.

I think there are disposable ones (which are probably not so great for the environment) and then longer use ones.

One issue I think of as a problem is using them in public restrooms. Nowhere to discreetly rinse.
23.gif
But I also think they lasted a long time (like all day?).

One thing that was cool about it was to see how much blood actually comes out. It seems like a lot more with tampons.

Sorry I can talk about anything, nothing grosses me out!
9.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Thankfully periods are a distant memory for me
9.gif
Yippee!!!

That said, sorry but the environment would just have to suffer before I''d be reduced to rinsing a cup of blood out in a public bathroom
20.gif

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry if this is TMI...

I use a Diva Cup. Changed my life, seriously.

It saves me money, is more comfortable, is more convenient (on my heaviest days, I empty it three times), and there is nothing bloody in the bathroom trash (my fiance especially loves this aspect!).

The 'saving the environment' is not really a concern of mine, just a bonus. My concerns are for my pocketbook and my comfort. And the nil risk of TSS helps too.

I'll never go back!

ETA: It did take me a cycle to get used to it. But now that I have it's wonderful! I'm a figure skater and my legs go up in the air, and I have no worries about leaks. I haven't had a nighttime accident in I can't even remember how long. I'd go on further except one might accuse me of working for the company! (I don't!)

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I''ve used Insteads and I love them also! It''s just hard to find them sometimes.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info, jsm. I''m going to go buy one at our local Whole Foods right now! I''ve been thinking about these for a while, but never tried one because I don''t know anyone who has. (And I was too shy to ask about it here.
12.gif
)

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve used Instead before and they were very comfortable. But they were pretty messy, and I can''t imagine dealing with it in a public restroom, so I ended up going back to regular tampons. I love them in theory, though!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I''ve tried instead cups before and didn''t love them. They leaked for me despite being "locked" into place correctly and I kind of felt like they were pushing on my urethra which made peeing feel weird. I think I might like to try the diva cup after the baby comes though because it seems like it sits in a different place and could work better for me.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
My sister just switched to the Diva Cup and says she totally LUVS it....and she IS a diva so believe me, that says a lot!! I am going to get one. 9 mos of pregnancy and 10 mos of breast feeding gave me a nice break from my period--but it is back --ick. Funny, cuz just today i was thinking about how terrible those plastic applicators are for tampons. The plastic ones were on sale so i bought them--never again.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
here''s the LINKY for the Diva cup

kimberlina13

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for the input! I was really referring to the diva cup, and I didn''t even know about Insteads..decisions, decisions! Thanks, again!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the link-I''m going to check them out. I''ve never known anyone who used them. My periods have been so ghastly since my son came 2 years ago (tho I just started Nuvaring a couple months ago, so I''m hoping the hormones will make it a little more normal) and I''ve had a terrible time avoiding leaks-and it''s especially hard at work!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I picked up a Diva Cup after reading this, and it seems to be working fine...but I wouldn''t exactly call it comfortable. Yet, at least. Maybe I just need more time to get used to it, so I''m going to stick it out for this cycle and next before I really make a decision on it. I have to say, though, I was mildly shocked at how expensive it was, so I really hope I end up liking it!

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
I adore my divacup. It has more than paid for itself in the several years I''ve been using it.

I''ve never had to empty mine in a public restroom, I generally only empty twice a day. I can not say enough good things about it, although I did have to explain to my BF what it was when he figured out I never bought tampons...

niccia

Shiny_Rock
For those who have it, do you use size 1 or 2 ? They say to use 2 if you are 30+, but I have the Keeper and the before childbirth size is huge. I have never used it because of that, and also because I was afraid of becoming allegic to the rubber. (ETA I am pretty small-framed)

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
omg I am the BIGGEST instead fanatic! I have introduced all my friends to it!! haha!

I''ve never heard of the diva cup... to be honest (and if this is TMI, I''m sorry, but, I mean, this is a thread about period stuff...so if it offends you I''m not sure why you''re in this thread at all, haha), the primary reason I use instead over tampons is because you can have sex with it...it doesn''t look like that''s possible with the diva cup, right? Also, how is the diva cup safe bacteria-wise? I am prone to infections and would be very scared to use something like that over and over again...no matter how much I washed it...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 1:18:36 AM
Author: purrfectpear
That said, sorry but the environment would just have to suffer before I'd be reduced to rinsing a cup of blood out in a public bathroom
20.gif
Yuck, yeah, I wouldn't use one because I'd be afraid of it leaking. I've cut back on other packaging and products, plus recycle, so a few tampons here and there won't impact the earth, especially if everyone else is using their cups!
2.gif

Oh, and this thread doesn't offend me, but I would be utterly GROSSED OUT if someone rinsed a cup right in front of me in a public restroom.
14.gif

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/17/2009 4:51:21 PM
Author: alli_esq
omg I am the BIGGEST instead fanatic! I have introduced all my friends to it!! haha!

I''ve never heard of the diva cup... to be honest (and if this is TMI, I''m sorry, but, I mean, this is a thread about period stuff...so if it offends you I''m not sure why you''re in this thread at all, haha), the primary reason I use instead over tampons is because you can have sex with it...it doesn''t look like that''s possible with the diva cup, right? Also, how is the diva cup safe bacteria-wise? I am prone to infections and would be very scared to use something like that over and over again...no matter how much I washed it...

You''re right, you can''t use the divacup during sex. Bacteria-wise, I wash mine with antibacterial soap once a day, and boil it between cycles (I have a dedicated pan I use for this).

White Orchid

Shiny_Rock
I find the idea of menstrual cups very unappealing. I''m not sure that''s something I could get used to. I did make the switch to cloth pads several years ago. They''re so much more comfortable and absorbent!

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 7:13:03 PM
Author: Octavia
I picked up a Diva Cup after reading this, and it seems to be working fine...but I wouldn''t exactly call it comfortable. Yet, at least. Maybe I just need more time to get used to it, so I''m going to stick it out for this cycle and next before I really make a decision on it. I have to say, though, I was mildly shocked at how expensive it was, so I really hope I end up liking it!

Hey there,

I hear a lot of people trim the ''stem'' at the bottom of the cup to help with comfort issues. Also, it helps to keep in mind that it sits much lower than a tampon. It does take some getting used to, but that said, I''ll never go back!

In fact, I think just last night I convinced my sister to try it!

I know it''s pricey, but it easily pays for itself soon.
1.gif
Good luck!

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
They''ve been mentioned multiple times already, but I LOOOOOOOVE the Instead cups. I can''t ever imagine going back to something absorbent. I''ve thought about trying one of the non-disposable cups, but never looked into it seriously. The Instead cups fit me well, never ever leak except (perhaps TMI...) when I WANT them to when I''m on the toilet, AND you can have sex while wearing one (comfortably, I might add). I once read a horrible review where the woman complained because she decide to try "bearing down" with one in while on an airplane. Short story is she had a big mess to deal with - only bear down if you, erm, want to empty it. Knowing this trick can be handy on crazy heavy days when you''re in public restrooms.

Honestly, using a cup just requires that you be comfortable with your body. I find the pros completely and utterly justify the very few cons. As a bonus, using Instead made me familiar with the location/shape of my cervix which turned out to be useful when I started using the fertility awareness method (there''s a thread on FAM that should come up if you search for it).

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
It''s nice the Diva Cup comes in 2 sizes!

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Love instead. Being a swimmer, well, tampons were necessary. But finding the cups made a huge difference. No leakage issues for me and I had been concerned about it staying in place while flipturning. Now if only there was a way to get rid of bloating...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results