color
clarity

Alternative unity ideas

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Hi guys!

We are two months away from the wedding! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

I'm picking up my dress tomorrow :)

Random_thought posted something about an alternative unity idea that her friend had but I wanted to know if anyone had any other ideas without threadjacking.

We are having an officiant, and we are getting married outdoors.

Anyone have any unique ideas?

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Sand....you each pour from vases filled with different color sand to form one. Looks quite beautiful when it's done....you can display in your house.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1312403726|2983373 said:
Sand....you each pour from vases filled with different color sand to form one. Looks quite beautiful when it's done....you can display in your house.

Central, thanks for the idea.

I was hoping for something less common though!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
i saw something where a couple had seashells in jars - one on each side of the beginning of the aidle (groom's side- bride's side) and they had the guests prior to the ceremony take a shell and put them in a cute decorated pail. they then tied it into the ceremony- talking about the representation of each shell being a person/memory from their lives- joining together to form new memories...

something to that effect. i think you get where im going with this.... :twirl:

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
AN, we signed a marriage contract during our ceremony in lieu of a Unity Candle/Sand Ceremony/etc.

I based it off a Ketubah and had several Cherry Blossom engagement pictures taken with the final canvas in mind. A friend of mine did all the photoshop work with the language I wanted and then I had it printed by mpix on a 16x24 canvas. It will be the centerpiece of our photocollage wall once I purchase the rest of the frames to complete the wall.

Here are the inspirations:
Modern Ketubah
GeeZees on Etsy

Here is the final product:

marriage contract.jpg

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1312403816|2983375 said:
centralsquare|1312403726|2983373 said:

Central, thanks for the idea.

I was hoping for something less common though!

Oh, sorry...I didn't realize it was common. When I saw it, I thought it was really unique! Ha!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VC -- That is beautiful!

The Offbeat Bride link above has some interesting ideas. I love the super personalized things that some people did (like the welding ceremony or the chemist's take on a water ceremony).

I like the idea of the "wine ceremony" they mentioned -- put a nice bottle of wine (that will age well), stemware, and loveletters into a pretty box to open on your 5th anniversary.

LadyJ77

Rough_Rock
I saw this really cool unity idea the other day -- it was an art canvas with a lovely picture on it with room for the bride and groom to write words of love to each other. Its supposed to be used in the unity ceremony, and then after they are done writing their words of love, they keep it as a wedding keepsake. Such a beautiful idea!

http://www.sophiesfavors.com/PartyDecorationIdeas-wall-ceiling-floor.htm

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
LadyJ77|1313271875|2990268 said:
I saw this really cool unity idea the other day -- it was an art canvas with a lovely picture on it with room for the bride and groom to write words of love to each other. Its supposed to be used in the unity ceremony, and then after they are done writing their words of love, they keep it as a wedding keepsake. Such a beautiful idea!

http://www.sophiesfavors.com/PartyDecorationIdeas-wall-ceiling-floor.htm

I found something and its very similar to that :)

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
AN! I too wanted an alternative to the sand/candle for our outdoor wedding. We rang a "Truce Bell." In the middle of the ceremony, DH and I each took a turn ringing a bell and the whole idea is that whenever you have an argument during you marriage, you ring the bell to call a truce. It's supposed to remind you of the happiest day of your life and bring any disagreements to an end.

I found a vintage Yugoslavian crystal bell on Ebay that worked perfectly. Since I'm 1/4 Yugoslavian, it was extra special.

225.jpg

We are signing a "souvenir" marriage certificate during our ceremony, instead of having a unity candle. Our ceremony will also be outdoors, and fighting wind and potential rain to light a candle didn't seem like a good idea. My grandfather found his parents' (my great grandparents') original marriage certificate. He took it to the county and had them make one just like it for me and my fiance, so we will have a legal one as well as the "souvenir" certificate that my grandpa gave us.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Future Mrs. Sterling|1313680130|2993372 said:
We are signing a "souvenir" marriage certificate during our ceremony, instead of having a unity candle. Our ceremony will also be outdoors, and fighting wind and potential rain to light a candle didn't seem like a good idea. My grandfather found his parents' (my great grandparents') original marriage certificate. He took it to the county and had them make one just like it for me and my fiance, so we will have a legal one as well as the "souvenir" certificate that my grandpa gave us.

That's beautiful, FMS. Speaking of your grandfather, I was thinking about your wedding the other day since we hadn't heard an update and it's coming up...I hope all is well!

Thanks, VC for your inquiry and kind words. I'll check in on the GLISS thread.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results