shape
carat
color
clarity

Alternative remedies for eczema?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Last week I had allergy tests done on both arms (food and environmental) and the top of both of my arms are covered in patches of eczema! The actual tests showed I was negative to everything tested (haven''t been tested for metal- yet) but my allergist has told me to stop wearing my platinum rings as she and my dermatologist suspect it may be that.

Anyway, I stupidly DID wear my rings the other day because I was being thickheaded (I really love my rings and am hating I can''t wear them
15.gif
) and I am now having an eczema attack on both hands and eczema on the top of both of my arms a day or so after I had the tests done.

I''m constantly using a steroid cream (Clobex and a less potent one) and I''m really worried about the long term affects but the eczema is literally wearing me out. I''m going BACK to my derm. (I go about once a month at this point) this week just to confirm that the rashes on the tops of my arms are infact, eczema.

Does anyone have any alternative suggestions to treating eczema?? I already use Cetaphil moisturizer, lotion and cleanser. I also use Eucerin at night. I use Dreft detergent and I don''t use dryer sheets. We even bought hypoallergenic Lands End primaloft comforters, just in case. I don''t know what else I can be doing to try and prevent this stuff!

longtimelurker

Shiny_Rock
Oh, I feel for you. I really, really do. The best thing to do is AVOID the things that make you react. Much easier said than done. It took me YEARS of trial & error & paying attention to my body--I usually have a delayed reation (ie starts up 2-3 days) after I''ve eaten something. And once I''m sensitized, any little thing is even worse. My big trigger (which then makes me sensitive to react to every little thing after) is a class of preservatives in food.

The itching is the absolute worst. What works for me (and I am not in the medical field) is to do the following:

1) take Zyrtec. It keeps everyting else at bay so my body isn''t on hyperalert. Also helps with itching.
2) put the steriod ointment on *sparingly* (more doesn''t help more) a couple of times a day. I use a class 1 ointment
3) one of my children uses Zonalon 5% cream to cut down the itching
4) don''t ever, ever scratch
5) ice packs can numb a location enough so you can fall asleep. Nothing worse than being itchy and tired.

If you have recently changed to dreft, etc, realize it takes multiple washings to wash out your old perfumed detergent, etc. (we use tide free & bounce free).

Don''t be afraid of steriod creams/ointments. The amount you absorb through your skin is minimal (the warnings are scary though). See #2 above. For me, from the time a patch starts to form, until it''s almost gone is at least 5 days, provided I''m not still exposing myself to the trigger.

I almost replied to your other thread about your rings. For me, the secret is to make sure my skin is fully rinsed AND DRIED under my rings. There is a maximum for me in how wide a ring can be to allow that to happen. I NEVER use the soaps in anyone else''s/publc bathrooms. I carry around my own cetaphil in my purse.

not to scare you, but mine was out of control for probably 4 years, and worse in certain seasons. I swear these things run in cycles--and after about 7 years it became very minor & very manageable.

AGSHF

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I just saw your post about eczema. If what you have is atopic dermatitis (which basically means "they don''t know what''s causing it), then you might ask your dermatologist about phototherapy. I have had AD/eczema on and off for years and when an attack is severe, my dermatologist prescribes sessions of UVAB treatments. These have the effect of changing the surface skin cells so that they are not as sensitive and reactive to eczema triggers which, of course, differ from person to person. The UVAB treatments are fairly low radiation but I could see my hands getting "tanned."

I experienced relief from the itching and redness almost immediately and the lesions started healing fairly quickly. Also, the effects of the UVAB treatments lasted for several months. During that time, I made sure that I used my Clobex lotion regularly as soon as I detected any dermatitis on my hands.

I went through 3 dermatologist (and many different ointment and creams) trying to find real relief and was just fortunate that my present derm. prescribed this option.

Hope this help. Good luck getting some relief.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
my big trigger used in food, hair products, soap, you name it: EDTA.

i read the labels on everything, including mayo...yes, its in some brands, and i have minimal problems however, we eat out periodically and i can''t control what people spray in their homes and/or businesses, the foods they cook with, and their laundry detergent. but if i watch everything else, i usually now only have a problem every 1-2 years. my scalp immediately begins to burn/itch if i go some place and their product has EDTA in it: and yes ''good'' products, even aveda, have it.

changed my life and that''s why i''ve gone mostly natural.

i was having to use generic valium periodically because one of its side effects is that it dulls itchiness and you quit scratching and can get some rest....however, the other side effects of not being able to wake up and being unable to add 2 and 2 for several days was annoying to say the least.

i do believe it goes in cyles and once you''re past the first years and really adhere to a program of avoiding your triggers, you''ll do better. however, you really do have to avoid the triggers. aren''t platinum rings still mixed with an alloy? your reaction could be to that. i hope its not your rings but if so perhaps you can coat them on the inside.....not wearing them 24/7 might also help later. but right now you''ve got to do what your doctor says or she''s not going to be able to help you.

i also tested positive for formaldyhyde which outgases from veneer furniture, plywood, and other things not to mention it can be or used to be anyway in some nail polishes. pretty much everytime i walk through ikea i end up itching.........not to mention that it is used in making sheets wrinkle free permanent press.

sorry you''re going through this. its not fun and its not pretty.

movie zombie

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Not a natural remedy (because "natural" doesn''t necessarily mean "good for you" - poison ivy, carbon monoxide, and hot boiling lava are all natural, but I wouldn''t recommend you use them), but an anecdote.

My sister (mentioned her in your metal allergy thread) had excema around her eyes - eyelids all puffy, red, itchy, horrible. She completely stopped wearing all makeup in case that was it, no result. She''s been using the same cleansers for years, so it wasn''t likely that. Turns out it was her NAIL POLISH getting in her eyes when she kept itching and rubbing them. You know those little metal balls in nail polish containers that help everything get mixed up? Who knows what those are made out of and the allergist suspects it was bits of metal getting mixed up into her old nail polishes and coming off in little bits around her eyes. So she stopped wearing nail polish for a while and the excema went away! Now she''s super careful about touching her eyes and face with nail polish on.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
My son suffered with this for years on his arms and legs. He finally had good luck with the prescription drug Elidel and it is not as harsh on the skin as some of the other treatments.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
I have eczema as well as a nickle allergy (and boy does that make life fun). The nickle allergy is a pain (especially when it comes to finding a razor to shave with!) The eczema is mild, and acts up mostly in the winter (dryness and cold= bad), so the warm months are fabulous for me. And it is mostly contained to very specific areas. Anyway, lots of products, as others have mentioned, can cause problems.

I have specific products that I use to help prevent outbreaks.

For laundry I use Cheer Free (Tide Free or any other Free can be good too). I use dryer sheets. They don''t seem to bother me.
For soap I like Dove unscented body wash. Anything unscented and gentle is great.
And For lotion, I too am a cetaphil addict. It actually does such a good job moisturizing that I feel it helps prevent outbreaks.
I use Cetaphil face wash as well. It is fab.
For make up you might try avoiding products containing lanalin (sp?) Cliique typically does not contain it.
I personally RARELY paint my nails--just in case.
Certain materials such as wool and angora are bad on me. Wool pants I can handle, but shirts---not so much, sadly since lots of winter clothes contain some percentage of wool. You may try avoiding those materials

I have heard Elidel works very well, and I am actually considering asking about it at my next appointment, since I don''t care for the steroid cream

I HOPE it''s not your jewlery, but if it IS, you could always try having it swapped from PLatimun to Paladium. I have heard it is great for people with metal allergies.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
My sis used Elidel for a while, and I may be mistaken, but I think that it is also a steroid cream.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
could be--maybe elidel is not the one I am thinking of them-- it''s something that starts with a vowel though. I will find out in a few weeks.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
The Elidel website says that it is steroid free. It was VERY effective for my son.

pspaniac

Rough_Rock
Elidel is not a steroid. Be sure to check out the "black box" warning given by the FDA for this drug along with it''s sister drug Protopic. The drug has been linked to cancer in children. It worked wonders for my son, but I threw it all out (upon the advice of my dermatologist) when the warning came out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results