shape
carat
color
clarity

Alprazolam and TTC

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
I need some advice from our very smart PS community. I normally take Alprazolam when I fly because otherwise I''m a basket case. I don''t fly well at all. I just noticed that it had a warning about being pregnant that I forgot about (since I don''t take it often). I''m flying next week a bit and we''re also TTC. My flights will be at 7dpo, 9dpo, and 10dpo. All of the information I found online seems to make it sound like it would be okay for me to take since I don''t take it regularly, but I don''t know. Had I noticed earlier I would have asked my doctor... but now it''s the weekend.

Can anyone put my mind at ease one way or the other on whether it''s safe to take for my flights next week?

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Kunzite, call the pharmacist! They should be able to help you, and we have some here at least that are 24h.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
2nd call a pharmacist. That said, I would think you'd be okay if you take .25 mg or thereabouts (especially if you don't take it regularily and it's just to reduce anxiety!)

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alprazolam is okay to use in the 1st and 2nd trimester when used infrequently. None of the studies ever showed any increase in birth defects etc. The concern is mainly with withdrawal (for the baby, post-delivery) if you take it regularly in the 3rd trimester.

Plus, if you're going to be taking it before/around 10dpo, then there really is no issue. Engraftment doesn't occur until then anyways.

(My education is in neonatal toxicology).

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2010 10:15:48 PM
Author: kama_s
Alprazolam is okay to use in the 1st and 2nd trimester when used infrequently. None of the studies ever showed any increase in birth defects etc. The concern is mainly with withdrawal (for the baby, post-delivery) if you take it regularly in the 3rd trimester.

Plus, if you''re going to be taking it before/around 10dpo, then there really is no issue. Engraftment doesn''t occur until then anyways.

That''s great to know, Kama. Is it ok to take cyclobenzaprine while ttc? I''ve never been able to find any info.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Kama - Thank you so much! That''s what I thought but it feels great to have confirmation!!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/25/2010 12:32:16 AM
Author: LAJennifer

Date: 4/24/2010 10:15:48 PM
Author: kama_s

Plus, if you're going to be taking it before/around 10dpo, then there really is no issue. Engraftment doesn't occur until then anyways.

That's great to know, Kama. Is it ok to take cyclobenzaprine while ttc? I've never been able to find any info.
That's pretty much because there isn't much information on cyclobenzaprine in pregnancy. There are actually no human studies done on it's safety. It is, however, structurally and pharmacologically similar to tricyclic antidepressants...which have not been shown to cause any birth defects, so there doesn't THEORETICALLY seem to be any harm. But if one of my patients asked me personally for my opinion, I would not recommend it's use in pregnancy.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/25/2010 3:10:21 PM
Author: Kunzite
Kama - Thank you so much! That's what I thought but it feels great to have confirmation!!
My pleasure :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results