shape
carat
color
clarity

Almost In-Laws

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
~CRICKETS CHIRPING~ ;-)

How do you get along with your SO's family?

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
M's family loves me. My family adores him. My sister said to him "Even if my sister doesn't keep you, I will!" Her hubs just laughed.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
We get along just fine considering I've only seen them twice in the 7 years we've been together (married for 4.5!!!) I met them once after we got engaged and once a few months ago for his brother's wedding. They are on the east coast and we are on the west.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I haven't met them yet and I'm so nervous about it! He wants us to spend Christmas with his family this year, so that will be the first time I meet them (and the whole extended family will be there!). Just thinking about it makes me want to hide in a cave somewhere until Christmas is over.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I love his family and my family absolutely adores him! The only issue I had with MIL was the 2 weeks leading up to the wedding...that lady went a little batsh*t crazy for a minute there! Other than that, she's fabulous!

Princesss, how long have you been with your SO? DH met my mom on our first date (it wasn't planned, but it also wasn't awkward...love my family!). I met his family (Mom, Dad, Bro, Sis, Bro in law and the ENTIRE extended family..aunts, uncles, cousins...no joke, like 100 people at once) about a month after we started dating. It was a little crazy and he kept asking me if I was good. I told him 'this isn't my first rodeo' and just enjoyed everyone and the crazy experience! It was also around Christmas time, so everyone should be happy and having a great time. I got to hear a TON of good stories about DH from his family and I genuinely liked everyone and was welcomed in with open arms.

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
Good question, Pandabee!

I absolutely adore his mom. She is the warmest, most welcoming person I think I have ever met. Too bad she lives 4 hours away. The other day she sent me a text telling me she was thinking about me and was checking to see how I was. :bigsmile: She has been totally accepting of my daughter and I and has treated me like one of her own from day one.

His Dad is also very sweet but I don’t quite feel as close to him. He is coming up in a couple months to go fishing with SO, my dad, and I so I hope to get to know him better.

My family adores him. My daughter called him ‘her Prince’ the other day. Tears. :love:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love em. They love me. There's always compromising in relationships, even with in laws, so of course there are bumps expected to need smoothing.

PS, I'm graduating June 14, and my FILs are going to meet my family for the first time! Eek! Über nervous!!!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
FPS - we've been together for a year and a half now, it'll have been 2 years when I meet them. He probably won't even meet my parents until next summer (so approaching 3 years together) unless they decide to take a few days at the beginning/end of Christmas break to visit. Oh, the joys of international relationships.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1367499278|3438688 said:
Love em. They love me. There's always compromising in relationships, even with in laws, so of course there are bumps expected to need smoothing.

PS, I'm graduating June 14, and my FILs are going to meet my family for the first time! Eek! Über nervous!!!

So exciting! I hope they love each other.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Princesss, meeting during the holidays is actually pretty great though! Everyone should be in a happy mood :)

princesss

Ideal_Rock
FancyPantsSparkles|1367503728|3438712 said:
Princesss, meeting during the holidays is actually pretty great though! Everyone should be in a happy mood :)

I hope! Boxing Day tradition is for him to take his dad to a rugby game, and since his mum is the one he's worried won't like me, he promised he'd take me instead of leaving me at home with her all day. So that'll be fun. And they go for a walk on the beach on Christmas Day so that will be nice.

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
Swimmingly.

They're my other parents. I adore them. I've lovingly called FMIL 'mom2' since the beginning.

<3

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
We must be a lovely bunch! :naughty: How about siblings and extended family?

princesss - That sounds like fun! You'll have a great time. Walking on the beach on Christmas Day and Boxing Day rugby - are you sure you aren't coming to NZ? He he.

I get along with my in-law family very well. His parents are like a second set for me, especially since I met them as an 18 year old! I am close with SO's siblings and sibling in-laws, we are all in our twenties now and we like to spend time together. I talk to one of the SIL's every day. I was very happy when his brothers added more ladies to the mix! I also love his extended family. I feel incredibly lucky.

Vice versa?

My parents would gladly adopt SO as their own. My sister loves him, as do the rest of my family! The kids make a beeline for him and ignore me, ha ha. He feels as lucky as I do!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
I get along well with everyone in my SO's family and vice versa. I think his parents won't really really love me until we get married though and they're stuck with me. :)

Ms_Lovely

Rough_Rock
I get along great with his family. It hasn't always been that way, though. The first year or two we were together his brothers were horrible and his parents didn't like me because we basically have been living together since our first date :lickout: hahaha! I'm not sure I'd move so fast if I had it to do over again--not for our sake, though--his parents really had a hard time separating. Now, I get a long great with everyone. We've both met each other's entire family. His family is fantastic! Everyone wants us to get married so it'll be awesome when we finally get engaged :appl:

jennredsox

Rough_Rock
I've only met his parents, brother and sis twice---we're in Sydney and they're in Brisbane so have spent 2 Christmas's with his family. Very sweet people! SO has met my dad and sis twice as they're in Boston. Dad and sis came out to visit---My partner is SO much like dad its scary---but its great b/c they get on well. I brought my boyfriend home to meet my extended family in Boston and although he was a bit overwhelmed, he got on with everyone. And all my relatives fell in love with his Aussie accent! :love:

katrinab

Rough_Rock
I actually met my future MIL before I met my FI! She was one of my teachers at high school. I actually met FI through her! He's a volunteer firefighter and he came home the evening she had our class over for dinner, smelling of smoke because he'd just been to a reasonably big shop fire, and the rest is history! It's never quite the same with your in-laws as your blood family but mine are great. They've welcomed me into their family with open arms and love me like a daughter/sister.

My family LOVES my fiance!!! In fact, one of my brothers has told him that even if he and I don't work out he'll still be family! Another of my brothers will be one of his groomsmen, and my parents love him, both for who he is as a person, and also for how he looks after me and treats me.

My sister on the other hand.... Her MIL is psycho! She's very controlling and needs to know exactly what is going on in their lives pretty much 24/7! Thank goodness mine isn't like that! And my brother's MIL was so upset that he has more say in her daughter's decisions than she does that she's cut them both off almost completely! So all-in-all I'm very lucky!

wsucheerleader

Rough_Rock
I get along my with SO family great. At first I think they were unsure of me as i'm not catholic and i'm so "young" compared to my SO. I think they started to realize that religion isn't that important to my SO so why should they be concerned with what religion I am. And they realized that despite my age, i'm motivated and am doing my own thing. I am not a sugarbaby and my SO would never be with someone who lacks ambition. How many 23 year olds can say they have their Masters and are working on their PhD. not many.

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
I love BF's family!! I am very close with his sister and we talk almost every day. I also love his stepmom, dad and all relatives on his dad's side. His mom and her side are a different story. But, he doesn't get along with them either and hasn't actually had contact with them for a couple years.

Our parents have met as well. Though they are very different, my family is more traditional/conservative and BF's is more modern/liberal, they like each other. My dad and BF's dad have actually gone to a football game together.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results