shape
carat
color
clarity

All Time Favorite Makeup and Skincare Products

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that retinol and retin A products are key! I started very early because of hormonal acne and don’t regret it now that I’m in my 30s.

I started right after my kids were born at 29. Vitamin A is teratogenic, so I wasn't taking any chances. I always had good skin, so I'm not sure what's just dumb luck and what is Renova. All I do know is that at 58 there is a big difference in skin condition. Some people look great at this age, others not so much.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly I think more than 50% has to do with one’s genetic makeup (haha get it...makeup) and less than 50% with avoiding or protecting oneself from the harmful uv rays, not smoking, not drinking too much alcohol and getting sufficient exercise and sleep.

JMO, but from what I can see if you look at specific families you generally observe daughter and mother and grandmother all looking good for their age or not. It generally fits if you kwim.

That’s not to say there aren’t things one can do to maximize one’s genes but I think there’s obviously a limit and ones genes do play a role. Perhaps a significant role.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
****more to add****

bar soap: provence sante

multi purpose: lavender essential oil, peppermint essential oil, rosemary essential oil, jojoba oil cold pressed unrefined

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting to see what others use!

Skincare: Alkira Aussie botanical skincare line, fair new to market. (Same founders as Sukin). Loving it so far! Also use Natio 50+ Sunscreen which honestly is the best ever.

I wear makeup every day for work as I like to look "polished" so to speak and I can do my entire makeup look in about 10-15 mins so it's not difficult or arduous. :bigsmile:

Makeup:
  • Armani Luminous Silk foundation (very natural skin-like finish but good coverage for rosacea)
  • Tom Ford eye-shadow quads
  • Tom Ford lipsticks
  • Tom Ford blush
  • Mascara, Powder, Eyebrow pencil & Eyeliner - I'm not faithful to any particular brand, just use whatever is on sale at the time generally.
  • Lanolips lip balms - carry these around always :love:

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
DRcocochanel
Thank you for starting this thread ! I really wonder where do people find all these brands they use ?
I use generic brands like Neutrogina , Olay for skin care and Clinique/Estee Lauder for makeup .
I purchased Drunk Elephant retinol cream based on this thread , will see how it works .

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I used to have a much more extensive skincare/makeup routine but I find that I have pared things down quite a bit.

I use a La Roche Posay cleanser and even though it's pricy Sunday Riley Good Genes at night and vitamin C serum when I remember. Retin A maybe 1-2 times a week but my skin is really sensitive. When it's dry I use Caudalie moisturizer (the one in the pink tube) and spray mist.

I moved to a hot, humid climate and spend a fair amount of time outside so sunscreen is very important- I use supergoop for my face and neutrogena dry touch high SPF for body/face every day.

For makeup I feel like I have tried everything, from low to high cost! I have lots of freckles and redness and prefer a more natural look where my freckles show through, nothing too mask-like. For special occasions I love Vincent Longo water canvas. It has a silly name, but my everyday face makeup is Clinique Workout Makeup- it stays put, natural finish and just works for me. I like the loreal double extend mascara- it's a tubing style and stays on even if I have to work 12+ hours or go for a run. Love Lipstick Queen lipstick but haven't worn much lately with masks!

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm not the most knowledgeable about makeup and skincare. Thank you all for sharing what you use.

Skincare:

I have very oily skin and used to have break outs. I started using a regimen from acne.org and it cleared my skin up completely. I still use it a couple of times a week to prevent future break outs. On the other days I use Obage to battle the dark spots from my younger days when I didn't believe in sunscreen. I switch between Clinique's moisture surge and dramatically different moisturizers depending on how oily or dry my skin is. I've been using a retinoid product from Obage since my 30's and I swear by it for oily skin/acne and aging issues. I've tried various eye creams and right now I'm using SkiMedica TNS eye repair followed by Ole Henriksen banana brightener if I have time. I never, ever go outside without sunscreen anymore and if I'm going to be out more than 5 minutes, I wear a hat.

Makeup:

I don't wear a lot of makeup. I wear SkinMedica Essential Defense tinted mineral shield sunscreen with a little translucent powder on top as needed. It doubles as foundation.

My under eye area needs a little help with dark shadows and I use Maybelline Instant Age Rewind. I have a ton of different concealers in my makeup kit but so far this is my favorite. Go figure.

I use nudestix eyeshadow in a color that looks like my skin for fancy occasions.

The eye liner I like the most is from Estee Lauder and they don't make it anymore so I use it sparingly on dress-up occasions.

For cheeks I use Daniel Sandler's watercolor blush and also use it in the crease of my eyes.

Lately I've used Loreal Lash Paradise mascara and it's as good as any of the more expensive mascaras I've used. I splurged and bought a Tweezerman 60 degree eyelash curler and it is the ticket for round eyes.

My eyebrows left when I was in my 40's so I use Anastasia Brow Whiz.

Pre-Covid I discovered Charlotte Tilbury pillow talk lipstick and lip cheat lip liner. My lips always feel dry and I apply classic Burt's Bees to them frequently. I also like Clinique's lip balm and lip gloss, but that's a disaster with a mask so I will enjoy those again one of these days.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
What dermaroller and needle length do you use at home? I’ve tried it a handful of times in the past but never saw a huge difference since I was quite conservative with both the needle length and intensity.

I have a gloPRO - not sure what the needle length is- it has separate head attachments for the lip and eye areas. It says to use it 3x/week, but I end up using it about once and I'm pretty gentle. I do it before bed and will look flushed afterwards but all traces are gone by morning. I find that if I do that and then 20 mins of red LED light, my skin looks great the next day. I used to be careful about not using any RetinA the night before or the night after, but now I just avoid it that night and it seems fine.

I've had it done at the dermatologist in the past, and I'm sure it gives better results, but find it's too harsh for me.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I bought some Alumier (MD) EverActive C & E with peptides serum. I am hoping I like it!

cheers--Sharon

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
horse paste from Amazon. This is literally a life changing product for my Type II rosacea. Same active ingredient as the prescription Soolantra (ivermectin, which kills skin mites).

@GlitterInMyHair - Can you elaborate on the horse paste reference? I have rosacea too, and have been reading about the possible link to skin mites. So far I've had some results with Elidel cream (pimecrolimus), but I believe this is an immune response modulator, so I'm curious about the mites theory, which might better address root cause. May I ask which horse paste product you use? I found many on amazon, they seem to be for actual horses (??)

Thank you!

Anne

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
I have rosacea too, and have been reading about the possible link to skin mites...

Anne

@anne_h I just discovered this "system" and ordered a three-piece kit that has the purifying mineral mask, the optimized retinoid serum, and the mineral enriched balm concentrate. I plan to order the Vit. C serum when I finish what I have.

My skin loves everything I've used. The super-mild feeling retinoid serum actually works amazingly on my skin. The first time I used it, the mineral mask greatly reduced a persistent, deep blackhead (that I've never been able to get rid of). I was literally astounded.

The product line is all about supporting the skin microbiome. Here's a snippet from nuvsio.com/science/:

The Skin Microbiome is a diverse self-sustaining ecosystem of millions of microorganisms. These microorganisms play a critical role in the health of our skin, which translates into the way our skin looks, feels and behaves. These symbiotic microorganisms protect us against many skin conditions, diseases, and can even fight against some skin cancers. The microbiome releases skin healthy chemistries that help protect the skin as well as the microbiome, like a miniature health engine it protects both itself and us.

Truly a win-win symbiotic relationship. Our obsession with cleanliness and our use of harsh cosmetics and cleansers has led to dramatically decreased microbial biodiversity and gave rise to more unfavourable skin conditions. This Microbial Imbalance (termed dysbiosis) can result in skin disorders or infections that manifest themselves as inflamed and blemish-prone skin. Scientifically we know that skin with a less diverse skin microbiome compared to healthy skin is far more prone to conditions such as rosacea, eczema, acne, and atopic dermatitis, and more.

I am not affiliated to the company in any way. I just love how my skin feels/looks using the products! :razz:

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
@GlitterInMyHair - Can you elaborate on the horse paste reference? I have rosacea too, and have been reading about the possible link to skin mites. So far I've had some results with Elidel cream (pimecrolimus), but I believe this is an immune response modulator, so I'm curious about the mites theory, which might better address root cause. May I ask which horse paste product you use? I found many on amazon, they seem to be for actual horses (??)

Thank you!

Anne

Yes, the horse paste is the oral de-wormer given to horses. The active ingredient is 1.87% ivermectin. (Soolantra contains 1% ivermectin).

I decided to try the horse paste when I found out my insurance wouldn't cover Soolantra. I use the brand Horse Health, which has a running lotion-y texture.

To start, I used it every night on my face for the recommended 4 months. Now I use it once a week for maintenance.

For me, it completely stopped the tiny acne-like breakouts. Once that stopped, my face became significantly less red and less prone to flushing.

If you have type II rosacea, it's definitely worth looking into.

You should check out the rosacea sub-reddit. It has a wealth of information. And the users are so supportive of each other.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

Girlfriday17

Shiny_Rock
MORNING
Drunk Elephant - Beste No 9 Jelly Cleanser (with Clarisonic)
Alternate mornings
Paula’s Choice (PC) - 8% AHA Gel Exfoliant
Paula’s Choice - C15 Superbooster (mixed with PC Ultra Light Super Antioxidant Serum)
Opposite Day
PC - 2% BHA Lotion Exfoliant
PC - 10% Niacinamide Booster (mixed with the same Antioxidant Serum)
Finish everyday with Josie Maran Argan Daily Moisturizer SPF47
(in the winter I switch the light antioxidant serum to PC resist Super Antioxidant as it’s more hydrating).
NIGHT
Cleanse PC Optimal Results Hydrating Cleanser, but I’m considering switching to The Ordinary Squalene Cleanser
PC Clinical 1% Retinol Treatment (every other night)
Opposite night The Ordinary Buffet
Drunk Elephant Lala Retro Whipped Cream

I also like to use Drunk Elephant’s Shaba Complex Eye Serum which I like to apply after makeup or during the day as it hydrates so quickly and brightens around my eyes.

MAKEUP
(much simpler and a lot less since we haven’t been going out much these days)
Nars Sheer Glow Foundation (I used to love Laura Mercier but they changed the formulation it’s never been the same)
Charlotte Tilbury Cream Blush (now discontinued)
YSL Touché Eclat Mascara or Dior Show Masca
Charlotte Tilbury Bond Girl matte lipstick
(I will use Anastasia Dipbrow Tinted gel on eyebrows but usually only when my bangs are short and you see my brows).

Yikes. I feel high maintenance, but prefer self-maintaining. It’s taken me many years and many reactions or dislikes to find what works. But I’m still open to dropping things or adding new stuff.

@DrCocoChanel you are so right about the DE Babyfacial. I have to wait to go to the US to get it though because they won’t ship it to Canada. The Ordinary has similar one as well but there are some regulations with it in Canada as well (which is ironic since it’s a Canadian company).

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This thread is very interesting and VERY overwhelming!

I use SkinMedica BHA Cleanser, TNS, retinol, HA5, and eye repair.

Revision Nectifirm, and I just started their Vitamin C.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I trust things that are by prescription only or were at one time, because they've been proven to work in clinical trials. Otherwise, I usually just use soap and maybe some coconut oil or whatever if my skin is dry.

- Latisse (or the generic). My eyelashes seem to have disappeared with age and this brought them back hugely.

- Minoxidil for hair thinning. It also definitely works for me. (I also use it on my eyebrows).

- Retin-A (or the generic). This peeled off skin and took a lot of age spots with it. It also plumped up the collagen underneath a bit and reduced some fine wrinkles.

Nonprescription things I've found to work well are Biore nose strips for blackheads and Seche Vite top coat for nails, because it makes them dry right away rather than take hours to completely harden as mine to otherwise (which is why I wake up with blanket markings on my nails).

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results