shape
carat
color
clarity

All Time Favorite Makeup and Skincare Products

MsCocoChanel

Rough_Rock
As a self professed makeup and skincare addict, I thought it would be fun for PSers to post their all time favorite, “can’t live without” makeup and skincare products. As someone who literally has tried everything at least once, from drugstore lines to high end cosmetics, I love finding quality products at reasonable or low price points. That said everyone’s budget and skincare needs are different but I have listed some of my all time faves that I have curated over the years - I keep repurchasing them as nothing else can compete!

Lancôme Teint Idole Ultra Wear Foundation: One of the longest wearing, most natural looking foundations I have ever used. Super lightweight yet amazing coverage and blends beautifully. Non-comedogenic for my acne prone friends.

Drug Store Dupe: Maybelline Super Stay Foundation. Slightly thicker application but amazing staying power and coverage. Great for those who hate using primer to conceal pores or uneven skin texture, myself included.

YSL The Curler Mascara: The best lengthening and curling product for my stick straight, barely there lashes. No clumping, looks natural and no flaking even though the formula isn’t waterproof. Holds curl all day.

Guerlain Maxilash Volumizing and Curling Mascara: A close second for its ability to curl super straight lashes.

Maybelline Super Stay Matte Ink Liquid Lipstick: Amazing price point and the only lipstick that lasts as long as it claims. A tad on the dry side with limited shade selections but this stuff is amazing. My favorite shades are Dreamer and Lover. Beats every expensive matte lipstick I have ever tried. I suspect they will expand the collection as it seems to be a cult favorite.

Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask + L’Oreal Pure Sugar Scrub: My lips tend to get dry and flaky from wearing heavy lipsticks, especially in the winter. I love using the L’oreal scrub which is a cheap version of more expensive lip scrubs with the lip sleeping mask which is very hydrating.

Skincare

Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Moisturizer with Accelerated Retinol SA in Day (SPF) and Night Formulations: Definitely my favorite drugstore retinol line. Gentle enough for every day use doesn’t dry out or irritate my skin. Can be layered under makeup. Definitely see sustained improvements in skin texture and brightness with time.

Neutrogena Triple Age Repair Night Moisturizer with Hexinol: I like using this moisturizer when I feel my skin drying out or need a break from my retinol regimen. It’s a super smooth gel that literally soothes my skin when I apply it. I have used this during the daytime as well and it layers beautifully under makeup.

Alastin Skincare Restorative Eye Treatment: This product is a splurge for me but definitely worth every penny. I started using the Alastin line when my Dermatologist recommended it. I definitely aged the most under my eyes with fine lines and this has made a huge difference. I found I could not tolerate retinol based eye products like ROC as they just dry out the skin under my eyes more and make concealer application a nightmare.

Drunk Elephant TLC Sukari Baby Facial: I caved to peer pressure when all the reviews came out for this product but it hands down is one of the best at home facial treatments I have ever used. It’s super strong so those with sensitive skin beware - it literally is like taking a sandblaster to your face. I have had professional peels and microneedling and this yields similar results in terms of instant exfoliation and baby soft skin with improved texture.

Peter Thomas Roth Peptide 21 Amino Acid Peeling Pads: These are great for a quick swipe and go exfoliation after washing your face.

Nails

Essie Gel Couture 2 Step Long Wear Nail Polish: Pre-COVID I was a loyal salon client getting OPI gel manicures and pedicures every 2 weeks. During the lockdown, I was able to grow out my gel color but got bored and picked up this polish at CVS. They have a nice range of shades and I have been really impressed with the staying power of the polish. It lasts at least a week before chipping and doesn’t damage my nails like gel polish did. It applies really easily, drys quickly and is very easy to remove. I’m not the best with DIY manicures but this polish goes on smoothly and beautifully every time.

Sally Hansen Manicure Pen No More Mistakes: I really like this pen for removing polish when I make mistakes or polish bleeds into my cuticles. I used to take a q tip dipped in acetone but this is much more precise.

Last edited:
P

Petalouda

Oooo love this and thank you for the suggestions!

I always had the hardest time finding an eyeliner that didn’t run. The only one I found that truly doesn’t run on me is Chanel’s Stylo Yeux Waterproof long lasting eyeliner.

I love Trish McEvoy’s mascara. Doesn’t flake and love how easy it is to wash off.

I also love her weekly peels. They are a bit pricey but I love the results.

I use Skinceuticals vitamin E serum often and alternate with p50 lotion.

I recently discovered a new BB cream and always get compliments on my skin when I wear it! Lune + Aster’s protect + go.

I have had the hardest time finding an eyecream that blows me away and will definitely try the Alastin!

Before the pandemic I would get my face dermaplaned a few times a year and always loved the exfoliation and hair removal.

MsCocoChanel

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Kenny for the laugh. This would be my husband’s reply as well!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My make up consists of Maybelline mascara and Berts Bees tinted chapstick. If I'm going somewhere nice at night, I might add powder and a smidge of lip liner. We're talking maybe once every few months here. I tint my own eye lashes, so even the mascara is a rarity.

However, my skin care routine is a whole different story....

I'm a fan of Kerstin Florian, and I use their day serum, night moisturizer and day moisturizer. I match this with True Botanicals, Renew line - night serum, moisturizing oil and misting antioxidant spray. I use Dermalogica on my eyes - 2 different creams, and I put Neutrogena SPF lip balm on my lips a zillion times a day. I use Deborah Lippmann SPF 50 Rich Girl on my hands and arms every day and I combine this with the True Botanicals oil as well. I twice-daily moisturize from my hair line down to my ribs and from my finger tips up to my shoulders. I do my own manicures and pedicures and, while I don't moisturize my feet and legs a lot, I do get to them a couple of times a week. I don't use nail polish on either my fingers or toes, but I do a weekly buff to keep them shiny.

And I've stayed out of the sun since I was 22 years old, and that stands me in better stead than anything else, I think. I also drink a lot of water, very little wine, no caffeine and I eat a low carb diet - which cuts anti inflammatories.

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Skincare:

Tatcha Camelia Oil cleanser
Biologique Recherche P50
Acwell 5.5 Balancing Toner
Amore Pacific Vintage Single Extract Essence
Pestle & Mortar Hydrate cream
Biologique Recherche Creme Masque Vernix
Jordan Samuel Retinol Oil
Make Prem SPF50 (daytime)

When I’m having really bad flare ups, I take BR products and retinol oil out of my regimen and use other products listed above. Otherwise, I use all of the above as part of my skin regimen. I use way more than listed but the above are my absolute “can‘t live without” products. Yes, I know I’m high maintenance - lol - but I treat skincare application as sort of a ritual. I find it very therapeutic.

Makeup:
Westman Atelier foundation
Surratt eyeshadows
Suqqu eyeshadows
Charlotte Tilbury lipsticks

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I am not really into makeup. I tried to be at one point.

I like the Fresh Sugar brand lip balms. I know there are dupes for these, but they are waxy to me. I used to really like Clinique Black Honey almost lipstick. I probably still would.

I like Laura Gellar for foundation/powder. I like the mineral powder. I rarely use blush, but if I do, it's hers.

That's really all I use for makeup. Honestly. Powder and a tinted balm.

For skin care, I have very sensitive skin. I can't tolerate retinol or strong products. I like Emminence and there is a small brand from North Carolina I like that's all natural, organic, etc. I just ordered a moisturizer from a company called Alpyn, that has natural alternatives to retinol, so I'll try that out.

I like oils when I'm not being lazy. I will use straight rosehip seed oil on my face. I have been lax about a routine lately though.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Skincare
Moisturizer: The Face Shop toner, lotion, and cream. Cica cream every other day
Sunscreen: Dr. G green mild up sun
Face wash: The Face Shop Jeju volcano lava
Various masks depending on my skin

Makeup in order of application
Primer: Mac prep+prime fix+
Foundation: La Mer the soft fluid long wear foundation OR Giorgio Armani power fabric
Pressed powder: Hourglass
Eyebrows: Anastasia dip brow, Anastasia contour kit to clean up brows
Eye shadow: Nars suede palette
Eye liner: Bobbi Brown gel liner
Mascara: Diorshow Iconic overcurl
Under eye concealer: Tarte shape tape
Contour: Laura Mercier bronzer
Blush: Hourglass
Highlighter: Mac extra dimension skinfinish
Makeup setting spray: Urban Decay all nighter

Brushes: Artis for foundation, Anastasia for brows, Bobbi Brown for eyes and powder.

The only thing I am still looking for is eye cream. I have tried La Mer, Kiel’s, Bobbi Brown, Origins, Chanel and many more. All of these eye creams are too strong and cause me to develop milia. I am planning on trying Sunday Riley next. I’ve heard great things.

inne

Shiny_Rock
Skincare Favourites

- The Ordinary Squalane Cleanser: simple, works, very affordable. I like Cliniques Take the Day Off cleansing balm better, but I got a weird reaction to it once so no more of that for me :(
- La Roche-Posay Physiological Cleasing Micellar Foaming Water: can be used without an oil-based cleanser and still gets everything off! Not drying at all.
- The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors: I've tried Avene, La Roche-Posay, NeoStrata, etc., but this is the nicest. The most basic moisturizer ever, but it works really well, never feels too heavy or too light, and is never irritating
- The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 30% in Silicone: can be intense, but it really does brighten. I have to mix this with my moisturizer and only use it a few times a week
- Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence SPF50+: Not drying, not oily, not irritating. I have tried what seems like everything super high PPD sunscreen out there and this is the only one that looks and feels great, even under make-up, for me
- Retin-A: I've been using this since I was 13, it works and I love it. If anyone is starting it for the first time, please please go slow! It can be so tempting to fast forward things by overdoing it in terms of strength, frequency, or amount used, but it's not worth it!

If you like relatively strong AHAs, Neostrata's Smoothing Lotion is amazing. But aside from Retin-A and sunscreen, I decided to not use any wrinkle-reducing products and just get Botox. For me, Botox looks great and then it looks like too much for a few weeks, but as it softens it looks amazing. I get it about once a year.

Cosmetics Favourites

- Laura Mercier mineral powder foundation: I think this is discontinued and I'm very upset because it is so nice. Super natural, doesn't seem to degrade during the day.
- Estee Lauder Double Wear liquid foundation: tried and true. The only liquid foundation that doesn't look like I have melted foundation on after a full day of wear. I rarely wear it, but it's amazing for fuller coverage.
- Estee Lauder Sumptuous Knockout Defining Lift and Fan Mascara: makes me look like I have eyelashes without looking like I have spiders glued to my face
- Lancome Effacernes concealer: I rarely use this, but it works well and a little goes a long way
- Charlotte Tilbury Brow Lift: I find that brow products for people with blonde hair often look off, even just a little bit. This is ones of the only ones that doesn't and its design makes it very easy to apply for a natural look.
- MAC eyeshadows: I rarely wear eyeshadow either, but MAC has been a favourite forever. Beautiful colours, great pigment.
- Fenty powder highlighter - I had a short phase of wearing highlighter. I don't anymore, but if you like highlighter, this one is great.

Aside from that, none of the cosmetics I use are real standouts - I could take them or leave them. I rare wear full make-up so I'm not an expert. I'm very curious to try the YSL The Curler Mascara now.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Avene Thermal Spray.

La Roche Posay Ultra Toleriane moisturizer.

La Roche Posay dermo cleanser.

Cotz untinted sunblock for the face.

Zero makeup. That is my routine and my skin care.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to live testing and trying out new skincare and makeup, but since I feel I've found my hg routine I don't want to change anything anymore:

A. M. :

Shower

NIOD Superoxide Dismutase Saccharide Mist
Serum according to skin needs
-either the ordinary buffet, niacin amide & zinc, azelaic acid or EuK 134

NIOD hydration vaccine
Erborian cc cream
Isehan sun killer spf

makeup:
Gel eyeliner & mascara by Bobbi brown, sometimes Charlotte Tilbury highlighter

Pm:
Cleansing: pschitt magique by Garancia

NIOD Superoxide Dismutase Saccharide Mist
Serum according to skin needs

-either the ordinary niacinamide & zinc, azelaic acid or vitamin C

Pai organic rosehip seed oil.
Can't rave about it enough. I got this a s a gift and when I wanted to repurchase it was out if stock. Bought several others (the ordinary and some others I don't recall). All organic all cold pressed. None were even close to the pai. They didn't sink in, stayed on top if the skin, were much runnier, didn't hydrate as much.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skinceuticals C E Ferulic
HA - any brand but I swim in it!
Dr. Jart+ Cicapair
Blinc tubing mascara
Diorshow Brow styler
Dior Lip Glow

I use a lot of stuff but I can't live without these products!

xsouzie

Shiny_Rock
Skincare:
Fresh Creme Ancienne, Thayers rose petal and witch hazel toner, Caudalie Vino Perfect essence, Private Doctor Minus serum, Eminence hibiscus instant line filler, Caudalie glycolic peel mask, Tatcha Violet-C radiance mask

Makeup:
Tatcha The Silk Canvas primer, Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk foundation, Milk Makeup Flex concealer, Becca BFF bronze and Glow palette, Anastasia lip palette, Tarte filtered light setting powder

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to do a lot of makeup. But now that I'm older, not so much.
I have used makeup for 40 years, and figure that I know a little by now.

I switch foundations and powders around, but these two items are my "must haves"----

1. Basic Oil of Olay face lotion. It's still the best, and affordable, too.
2. L'oreal Voluminous mascara. I have tried so many over the years, but keep going back to this one.

For cleansing, I'm very basic! I use Kirk's Castile bar soap.
It is not specifically for the face, but I use it anyway. It sweeps away the eye makeup, and I love that.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
all time favorite beauty products (that ive repurchased countless times):

hand cream: la prairie cellular
(can't seem to find a "cleaner" alternative to this hand cream. it's so effective and elegant in texture)

lip balm: sisley nutritive
(also cannot find a "cleaner" alternative to this lip balm)

facial spf: kypris heliotropic pot of shade

shampoo: rahua classic

cleansing water: garnier micellar

brow gel: tom ford

lip color: bite beauty

all purpose: avene thermal spray, hada labo goku-jyun

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Retin A. I've been using it for decades now.

Best eye cream: Genaissance de La Mer. Moronically expensive but it's really good.

Serums: Skinceuticals HA Intensifier, CE Ferulic, La Mer Concentrate

Moisturizers: Eucerin Q10, La Mer moisturizing soft creme, Dermalogica super-rich repair

Wash: Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant, La Mer Cleansing gel, Ceravé dry skin

Sunscreen: Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch

I'm not much of a makeup person, I don't wear it that often. I let my skin speak for itself.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I only wear makeup when I go to work--but am faithful to certain products.

Foundation: Armani. Maestro. Light but full coverage.
Concealer/corrector: Cle de Peau corrector. Magic in a stick.
Pressed powder: Estee Lauder Perfecting pressed powder. Fine fine fine like silk.
Eyebrow: Chanel Perfect Brow
Cheek: Nars
Bronzer: Too faced
Lips: Nars or Dior pencils for matte appearance. Clinique, Chanel, Lise Watier, Guerlain for lipstick depending on shade; and Nars for gloss.
Eye shadow: Chanel, Lancome, Estee Lauder or Urban Decay.
Mascara: I have every shade of L'Oreal Voluminous colored mascara.

Skincare

I often wash my face with L'Occitane shea butter bar soap.
Exfoliator--St. Ives.
Serum: Skinceuticals or L'Occtaine or Neostrata Vit C or Korres. I am a sucker for "rose" products.
Creme: L'Occtaine 25% shea butter
Makeup remover: Vichy Purete thermale
Sunscreen: Either La Roche Posay or Vichy
Lip balm: L'Occtaine or Vaseline.

Hair: TOO MANY to name!!!!:lol-2:

cheers--Sharon

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
Fun to see what everyone else uses.

Skincare:

night:
Eve Lom cleanser cream cleaned off with hot water and a muslin cloth
Skinmedica TNS Essential Serum
Noble Panacea moisturiser- I alternate between The Brilliant and The Absolute
Retin A: twice a week Tretinoin and twice a week Differin cream
Dr Dennis Gross Professional Grade Resurfacing Liquid Peel once a week
occasional products: Biologique Recherche Lotion P50, Vintners Daughter Botanical face oil, Dr Barbara Sturm hyaluronic serum
Also try to do a light home derma rolling 1x/week and LED light mask 2x/week

I have Rosacea--flushing, not bumps--but with this regimen haven't had a flare up in probably 18 months

The Noble Panacea is so expensive I decided to try it once, hoping I'd hate it. Unfortunately, I didn't.

morning: plain water rinse
Skinceuticals CE Ferulic
Noble Panacea The Brilliant serum
Elta MD UV Daily Broad Spectrum clear sunblock

Fairly minimal makeup person. I usually mix a bit of either Clea de Peau foundation or Victoria Beckham by Augustinus Bader tinted primer into my sunblock for very sheer coverage
Nars eye pencil
Perricone MD No Eyeshadow Eyeshadow
Benefit Roller Lash mascara

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, I'm breaking this up into AM/PM

AM: rinse face with warm water and a konjac sponge.

Vitamin C serum (right now 111 skin but I use several in rotation/depending on the season) and some kind of wrinkle prevention (pregnant=no retinol) so right now Juice Beauty stem cellular anti wrinkle booster.

Lotion right now is Peter Thomas Roth peptide 21 moisturizer.

Eye cream is biossance squalene and peptide eye gel (I always do a gel in the morning since they absorb quickly and don't pill)

My "makeup" is sunscreen, dr. Dennis gross DRx dark spot sun defense (is white but not filmy) and I mix it with drunk elephant d-bronzi sunshine drops since it's summer and I need some color.

Day to day I don't wear any "makeup". If I do want more coverage instead of the Dr. Dennis Gross sunscreen I'll use supergoop daily correct CC sunscreen.

Then I'll set with Givenchy prisme libre in satin blanc

Brow gel is benefit gimme brow
Mascara is benefit bad girl bang
For eyeshadow I prefer Laura mercier xavier eye sticks
Lipstick I have several chanel or Tom Ford. Favorite glosses are from hourglass or fenty.

PM: IF I'm removing makeup I use drunk elephant slaii or farmacy green clean first.

Then (or just this if no makeup) I usually use drunk elephant peekee bar with the konjac sponge. If I want some texture I'll add Paula's choice unscrub too it.

After that it's exfoliate time. I have several and go by how my skin feels/looks. Drunk elephant tlc framboos, dr. Dennis gross universal or max wipes, BR lotion P50W, and others are all in rotation. I also use the drunk elephant baby facial once a week or two weeks if I need it.

If it's a mask night I use clinique moisture surge with a steamer or barbara sturm face mask.

Night serums also rotate depending on my skin but right now it's the juice beauty from the day plus PTR peptide serum.

Then skinfix barrier +

Then eye cream (right now dr. Dennis gross stress SOS).

Phew! It seems like a lot but I do nothing with my hair so it's my self care ritual!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bought Charlotte Tilbury pillow talk mascara yesterday. Pretty impressed: nice length, separation, curve.

Some slight smudging on upper lid after 8 hrs, but I get that with every Mascara... )The lashes hit the skin and there's a bit of black colour smudging.)

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
Murad vit c night cream and spf lotion
clarin’s hand cream is a must, only lotion that helps my hands
Armani luminous silk foundation
NARS concealer

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
I am a skincare minimalist (because of rosacea) and makeup junkie.

Skincare:
horse paste from Amazon. This is literally a life changing product for my Type II rosacea. Same active ingredient as the prescription Soolantra (ivermectin, which kills skin mites).

Drunk Elephant A-Passioni retinol cream. It's one of the strongest OTC retinol cream. I originally intended to use it to build up my tolerance and transition to prescription retin-A. But it has been working so well for me that I'm sticking with it.

Dr. Ceuracle propolis ampoule. Just a very soothing, anti-inflammatory, moisturizing serum that's great for rosacea.

As for makeup, I have so much stuff it's hard to say what I can't live without, lol.

But my current favorite lipstick is Lisa Eldridge Velvet Muse. It's the perfect matte formula, perfect warm rosewood color. And the heavy, magnetized case feels so luxurious in hand.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
For those who have used the Tata Harper line of skincare, what are your thoughts on how well it works for you?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

A few Skinceuticals fans here!

cheers--Sharon

MsCocoChanel

Rough_Rock
Oooo love this and thank you for the suggestions!

I always had the hardest time finding an eyeliner that didn’t run. The only one I found that truly doesn’t run on me is Chanel’s Stylo Yeux Waterproof long lasting eyeliner.

I love Trish McEvoy’s mascara. Doesn’t flake and love how easy it is to wash off.

I also love her weekly peels. They are a bit pricey but I love the results.

I use Skinceuticals vitamin E serum often and alternate with p50 lotion.

I recently discovered a new BB cream and always get compliments on my skin when I wear it! Lune + Aster’s protect + go.

I have had the hardest time finding an eyecream that blows me away and will definitely try the Alastin!

Before the pandemic I would get my face dermaplaned a few times a year and always loved the exfoliation and hair removal.

Yes, Alastin is definitely worth it in my experience after trial and error with many under eye products. As an added bonus, my lower lashes seem to be much longer as well although I have no idea why!

MsCocoChanel

Rough_Rock
Fun to see what everyone else uses.

Skincare:

night:
Eve Lom cleanser cream cleaned off with hot water and a muslin cloth
Skinmedica TNS Essential Serum
Noble Panacea moisturiser- I alternate between The Brilliant and The Absolute
Retin A: twice a week Tretinoin and twice a week Differin cream
Dr Dennis Gross Professional Grade Resurfacing Liquid Peel once a week
occasional products: Biologique Recherche Lotion P50, Vintners Daughter Botanical face oil, Dr Barbara Sturm hyaluronic serum
Also try to do a light home derma rolling 1x/week and LED light mask 2x/week

I have Rosacea--flushing, not bumps--but with this regimen haven't had a flare up in probably 18 months

The Noble Panacea is so expensive I decided to try it once, hoping I'd hate it. Unfortunately, I didn't.

morning: plain water rinse
Skinceuticals CE Ferulic
Noble Panacea The Brilliant serum
Elta MD UV Daily Broad Spectrum clear sunblock

Fairly minimal makeup person. I usually mix a bit of either Clea de Peau foundation or Victoria Beckham by Augustinus Bader tinted primer into my sunblock for very sheer coverage
Nars eye pencil
Perricone MD No Eyeshadow Eyeshadow
Benefit Roller Lash mascara

What dermaroller and needle length do you use at home? I’ve tried it a handful of times in the past but never saw a huge difference since I was quite conservative with both the needle length and intensity.

MsCocoChanel

Rough_Rock
Retin A. I've been using it for decades now.

Best eye cream: Genaissance de La Mer. Moronically expensive but it's really good.

Serums: Skinceuticals HA Intensifier, CE Ferulic, La Mer Concentrate

Moisturizers: Eucerin Q10, La Mer moisturizing soft creme, Dermalogica super-rich repair

Wash: Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant, La Mer Cleansing gel, Ceravé dry skin

Sunscreen: Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch

I'm not much of a makeup person, I don't wear it that often. I let my skin speak for itself.

I agree that retinol and retin A products are key! I started very early because of hormonal acne and don’t regret it now that I’m in my 30s.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results