carat
color
clarity

All inclusive resorts?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
April20|1422733224|3825076 said:
We've done an all inclusive vacation every year since 2007. Here's my take.

You get what you pay for. DO NOT cheap out. If you need to pay 50% more to stay at a "5 star" vs a "3 star" all inclusive, then save your money longer and book the "5 star".

I've found that all 5 star AI resorts are generally the same when it comes to amenities. They're generally adults only, lots of bars with the good liquor and "a la carte" restaurants that don't require reservations at dinner. This is what you want. I would not book a resort that requires reservations for any restaurant at night (other than hibachi) and/or limits the nights you can do restaurants. This means you'd be stuck eating off a buffet at dinner the other nights and it's generally not that great. If you end up needing to take kids, boom a 4 star. That's generally 5 star amenities but not adults only.

As to beaches, I think the beaches in the Dominican Republic are better than in Mexico. Less sea grass. I do think the beaches on the "hotel strip" in Cancun are decent but they're less private due to all,the resorts in a row. The ones more isolated north and south of Cancun proper are nice, but do tend to have a lot of sea grass and can be a bit rocky.

In Cancun/Mayan Riviera we've stayed at Excellence Playa Mujeres twice (hands down fav), the Valentin Imperial Maya (didn't like the grounds. It was too jungle like and you couldn't see the water without trekking down through growth to the water) and Secrets Silver Sands. I would go back to any of them but the Valentin. The Valentin had great food, but I just didn't care for the fact that you couldn't see the water. And I saw snakes there several times. Ummmmm. No.

Our very first year we did an AI we stayed at the Sunset Grande Ocho Rios in Jamaica. It was a 3 star and we knew nothing about AIs. We learned everything about what not to book for a vacation that first year. It wasn't so bad while we were there as we didn't know better but when I researched resorts we passed after we got home I realized how much it sucked!!!!

Oh and a note on airport transfers. If the resort is 15 mins or less from the airport, book shared transfers. You will likely be first off at the resort and last on to go to the airport. Anything other than 15 mins, book private. It will only be you and you will go straight to the resort. It will save you at least two hours because you won't be dropping people at different resorts along the way. The way back to the airport is always shared, but who cares!

I agree with April -- DO NOT CHEAP OUT. We thought Beaches was pretty good until we stayed at Excellence and Secrets, too! :| We have had great luck with All Inclusive Outlet, but I have several friends that use Cheap Caribbean all the time... I totally agree about the beaches, with one exception -- SECRETS MAROMA BEACH. It's more expensive, but the beach is ranked in the top #5 in the whole Caribbean (and I can see why)... The restaurants are the same with each chain. All the Secrets resorts have Bordeaux (French), El Patio (Mexican), Himitsu (Japanese/Hibachi), etc... Same deal with Excellence.

We chose SMB for our "Weddingmoon" because of the GORGEOUS BEACHES (umm, hello?? photo opps!!). We were told by countless Secrets "aficionados" and travel agents that it was the best Secrets resort. There is no seaweed whatsoever, and the beaches are pristine -- super white and clean with the clearest, bluest of blue water! Sorry for the shameless wedding pics -- SMB was just so beautiful and these photos helped capture it! ;))

Here are some (TONS) photos of Secrets Maroma Beach (Riviera Cancun):
smb_2.jpg smb_6.jpg smb_4.jpg smb_3.jpg smb_7.jpg smb_8.jpg smb_10.jpg smb_11.jpg smb_13.jpg smb_14.jpg smb_15.jpg smb_16.jpg smb_17.jpg smb_12.jpg

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
This may sound odd, but an adults-only resort called Secrets :shhh: makes me think of a swingers resort…. :lol: :oops:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1422735489|3825097 said:
Oh gosh you guys, thanks for all the info on Florida and the AI resorts! So helpful!

JD really wants to go during our break from school next year-the kids can stay w/my parents, and I'll have 10 days off work. It will be about mid-March. I'm figuring to spend about 3k w/flights and everything, and be gone about 7 days, if that's doable in the price range.

I don't think it would be hard too impress us..which probably is kinda sad but it makes me laugh--we're pretty simple people to begin w/, and add that to we've never really been anywhere. Rube=us.

That said, I don't want to cheap out on it at all just b/c we don't know any better. I'd rather it be as child-free as possible, and as drunken fool-free as possible. Nice beaches, even tho we won't be glued to them. When we were in Nassau, we were on a little island and the beach was nice, but was pretty rocky.

When I was looking at some of the sites, like Secrets/Excellence and it has the asterisk by some things, like yoga or spa treatments, to show it's an extra cost...is it like a crazy amount extra?

I'll check out that Cheap Caribbean site too.

JD said he would like to do some parasailing or zip lining.

Adults only is the way to go!! Excellence and Secrets have AMAZING spas! They do cost extra, but the services aren't ridiculously expensive. If you think you may be into that, I would book "Preferred Club" (Secrets), which gives you unlimited hydrotherapy at the spa, among other things like a really nice view from your room and a private clubhouse, blah blah blah... Honestly though, the resorts are so nice and have so much going on (or not, if that's what you choose), it may be a better deal to just pay for an hour massage and be done with it. :halo: We only did the "Preferred" because it was our wedding and all... I will say the massages were wonderful!! Secrets also has an amazing entertainment staff that lead beach and pool activities all day long, so you won't get bored if that's your thing -- me, I'm lazy and would rather lay in the sun by the pool and drink frozen drinks all day. :shifty: :bigsmile:

Here's a spa photo from SMB:
smb_18.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1422739009|3825128 said:
This may sound odd, but an adults-only resort called Secrets :shhh: makes me think of a swingers resort…. :lol: :oops:

Nope, that would be Hedonism (I, II, and III) -- but we won't go into that... :lol: :lol: :lol: (and, no, I haven't been...) :halo:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^Well, there are others besides Hedonism - there's even a discussion on Tripadvisor as to whether or not Secrets is for swingers…. We used to have some friends who engaged in the swinging lifestyle in their late 40's and they used to plan vacations (mostly in adults-only resorts in Cancun) around groups of swingers. They would even bring the kids and grandma as a baby-sitter so that they could participate in the, um, events :shock:
I suppose, though, that swingers can be found anywhere - just joking about how the resort name (Secrets) sounds a bit interesting =)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will be about mid-March. I'm figuring to spend about 3k w/flights and everything, and be gone about 7 days, if that's doable in the price range.

packrat, that is totally doable -- March is prime season (best weather) in the Caribbean/Mexico, so it will be top dollar -- however, if you can jump on it and book way in advance, you can get a great deal! I just booked a trip for my sister and her husband to Secrets Playa Mujeres for 6 days, 5 nights in September for $2200 TOTAL!! So, it can be done. If you'd like, I can look up some deals that are available and post them for you. Any specific dates? Also, what airport would you be flying out of? (sorry if that's a bit intrusive -- I just love it!) 8)

Also, parasailing is done over the beach in the Hotel Zone, so that will be an excursion. Zip lining is done in the jungle, so same deal. When you get to the resort, there will be an activities desk that can arrange those things for you. They have different packages with all types of excursions and prices.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1422739995|3825138 said:
^Well, there are others besides Hedonism - there's even a discussion on Tripadvisor as to whether or not Secrets is for swingers…. We used to have some friends who engaged in the swinging lifestyle in their late 40's and they used to plan vacations (mostly in adults-only resorts in Cancun) around groups of swingers. They would even bring the kids and grandma as a baby-sitter so that they could participate in the, um, events :shock:

I supposed any place could be "for swingers" if you swing, no? But, seriously, Secrets is NOT for swingers. Not. Even. Close. Mostly couples on honeymoon or anniversary. We did meet some great friends from Ireland while at SMB, but not those kind of friends. :lol:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1422735682|3825099 said:
Momhappy, that's what I think of too, norovirus. I can't imagine being stuck on a ship and being sick like that for days. JD brought up an Alaskan Celebrity cruise next summer and I vetoed it. I'd rather take the kids and do whale watching tours and enjoy the outdoors.

I'm not one for cruises either, but every single person that's been on an Alaskan cruise has said it was "the best vacation" -- who knows? norovirus... no thanks.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is March a must as far as dates? For 6 or 7 nights, you're probably looking at $4K to start. If you cut it back to 5 nights or travel in November, you could do 5-6 nights for $3K, I believe. (maybe not at Maroma, but at Secrets Silversands, Excellence PM, etc...)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have stayed several times at the Rendez Vous in St. Lucia, which is also adults only. Utterly beautiful, amazing Spa, beautiful beach, complete 5-Star service with a smile. Now that we have children, it's a blissful & distant memory of calm, peace & tranquility. I say book it.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's so funny to be talking about this right now--we're under a winter storm advisory until tomorrow noon and it's snowing so beautifully outside!

The district doesn't have the calendar figured out for 2015-2016 yet--Iowa lawmakers are still trying to decide for sure if they're going to make us wait to start the school year until after Labor day. So whether or not we actually have a break in March is technically up in the air right now. I would bet if they manage to push it thru, there won't be a break or we'll end up going to school till late June. So we won't be able to book anything until the new calendar is released..and lawmakers have clear up until like..August 1st or so, to decide if we have to start late or not. It's pretty ridiculous. So it could end up that we can't go anywhere until school is done for the summer.

msop what beautiful pictures! Your wedding must've been amazing!!!

I'll tell JD we would need to plan extra $$ for zip lining. I don't know that I could do parasailing. I'd dribble pee all over the ocean and probably cry if I saw a shark.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1422743004|3825177 said:
It's so funny to be talking about this right now--we're under a winter storm advisory until tomorrow noon and it's snowing so beautifully outside!

The district doesn't have the calendar figured out for 2015-2016 yet--Iowa lawmakers are still trying to decide for sure if they're going to make us wait to start the school year until after Labor day. So whether or not we actually have a break in March is technically up in the air right now. I would bet if they manage to push it thru, there won't be a break or we'll end up going to school till late June. So we won't be able to book anything until the new calendar is released..and lawmakers have clear up until like..August 1st or so, to decide if we have to start late or not. It's pretty ridiculous. So it could end up that we can't go anywhere until school is done for the summer.

I'll tell JD we would need to plan extra $$ for zip lining. I don't know that I could do parasailing. I'd dribble pee all over the ocean and probably cry if I saw a shark.

You wouldn't be the first one, packrat... LOL :lol:

(...and thank you! It really was amazing!)

April20

Ideal_Rock
msop04|1422739319|3825131 said:
Oh gosh you guys, thanks for all the info on Florida and the AI resorts! So helpful!

JD really wants to go during our break from school next year-the kids can stay w/my parents, and I'll have 10 days off work. It will be about mid-March. I'm figuring to spend about 3k w/flights and everything, and be gone about 7 days, if that's doable in the price range.

I don't think it would be hard too impress us..which probably is kinda sad but it makes me laugh--we're pretty simple people to begin w/, and add that to we've never really been anywhere. Rube=us.

That said, I don't want to cheap out on it at all just b/c we don't know any better. I'd rather it be as child-free as possible, and as drunken fool-free as possible. Nice beaches, even tho we won't be glued to them. When we were in Nassau, we were on a little island and the beach was nice, but was pretty rocky.

When I was looking at some of the sites, like Secrets/Excellence and it has the asterisk by some things, like yoga or spa treatments, to show it's an extra cost...is it like a crazy amount extra?

I'll check out that Cheap Caribbean site too.

Adults only is the way to go!! Excellence and Secrets have AMAZING spas! They do cost extra, but the services aren't ridiculously expensive. If you think you may be into that, I would book "Preferred Club" (Secrets), which gives you unlimited hydrotherapy at the spa, among other things like a really nice view from your room and a private clubhouse, blah blah blah... Honestly though, the resorts are so nice and have so much going on (or not, if that's what you choose), it may be a better deal to just pay for an hour massage and be done with it. :halo: We only did the "Preferred" because it was our wedding and all... I will say the massages were wonderful!! Secrets also has an amazing entertainment staff that lead beach and pool activities all day long, so you won't get bored if that's your thing -- me, I'm lazy and would rather lay in the sun by the pool and drink frozen drinks all day. :shifty: :bigsmile:

]----------------------------------------------------------------------

We always did massages at the spa every year until this year. It's not cheap, but not ridiculous either. That is usually. We generally go for the 80 min couples massage and it's usually about $200 after tip for both us, which isn't bad at all. We usually like to pay no more than $1.50 per minute. The spa at Breathless Punta Cana was $3.50/minute for a massage. Hands down the highest I have ever seen. We refused to pay that. It's the first time we saw prices out of line from everywhere else. They're usually very comparable.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, so we've been oooh-ing and aaaah-ing over Alaska, Florida and the Caribbean non stop, and we've got it narrowed down to Secrets or Excellence, and now we just need to figure out which/where specifically. If we don't get spring break next March, will June still be an ok time to go? And if we need to up our budget of 3k that I totally just pulled out of the air earlier, we will.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I wouldn't go parasailing either - No way, no how!!!! Parasailing accidents usually result in either serious injury or death :knockout: and there are no current federal regulations or guidelines for the inspection of parasailing equipment (many accidents are a result of faulty equipment). A zip line could be fun, although I wouldn't do anything too high up off the ground.
Keep us posted on your plans!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1422746278|3825206 said:
Ok, so we've been oooh-ing and aaaah-ing over Alaska, Florida and the Caribbean non stop, and we've got it narrowed down to Secrets or Excellence, and now we just need to figure out which/where specifically. If we don't get spring break next March, will June still be an ok time to go? And if we need to up our budget of 3k that I totally just pulled out of the air earlier, we will.

I would choose Secrets, for the simple fact that between myself, friends and family, we've been to 5 or six of them -- and have always had a very positive experience. Excellence is great, I just can't speak for any of the resorts except PM... The new Secrets Playa Mujeres opens this November, so it will be new and super nice... been to Silversands three times and love it (esp for the price)... Maroma is the ultimate (and the most expensive I've been to). If you are okay with the natural beach, my vote would be Silversands -- best bang for the buck, IMO! :bigsmile:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1422747643|3825214 said:

I wouldn't go parasailing either - No way, no how!!!! Parasailing accidents usually result in either serious injury or death :knockout: and there are no current federal regulations or guidelines for the inspection of parasailing equipment (many accidents are a result of faulty equipment). A zip line could be fun, although I wouldn't do anything too high up off the ground.
Keep us posted on your plans!

I tend to agree with momhappy on this one... and it's kind of underwhelming. I mean, if you've been on a ferris wheel, then you've been parasailing (only it's over the ocean). Ziplining is fun though!! Also, if you can go tubing in the underground rivers (cenotes), that is BADA$$!! <--- just make sure you're doing the real deal and not some janky natural spring --- you want "UNDERGROUND RIVERS" (we learned the hard way)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We probably won't be able to do all of it, so I'd rather do something we both would do, which would be the ziplining, and we'll do a massage. A lot of them list Euro Bungee as an activity so we googled that and it looks like a blast! Will make a note about the underground river tubing-that sounds fun!

Will go on suggestions here for Secrets and focus on those resorts. Ha, by the time we can get something set up we'll probably have the website memorized.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I absolutely hated the idea of cruising on large ships until I went on my first Celebrity cruise and have since done another. Luxury, boutique ships are for the very rich (think 10K per person & up). If you shop through CruCon or TravelZoo deals - you can find very nice, very clean & fun cruises on (mid-high mid) brands like Celebrity. Those ships aren't full of young partiers like Carnival or Royal C. ... or families like Disney ... If anything, they veer toward retirees and middle-aged folks. Cruise Critic has forums like here that can be a great resource for planning and advice from people who have taken the exact cruises you're considering. With inside knowledge of the excursions and what excursions to buy from the cruise line or schedule independently or book in person once you get to port. LOTS of scoop. BTW ... neither my husband nor I got stomach sick at all on two 12+ day cruises - but during one cruise I threw my back out, and the medical help on board was very responsive and helpful. There are hand sanitizer stations EVERYWHERE. If you stick to better brand boats I doubt you'll have a problem. (And it doesn't have to be "boutique!" :))

Had wonderful all-inclusive experiences at St. James Club in Antiqua & Le Sport in St. Lucia. St. Lucia being a bit more lush/tropical/rainforest/volcano kind of place ... Antiqua more flat & typical beachy.

DID NOT LIKE my two trips to Mexican Riviera and have sworn to never visit Mexico again. I thought the people were incredibly rude and shiestery. And BOTH times my credit card # was skimmed at some point. Also, if you rent a car, the local cops pull you over and try to shake you down for cash. AVOID!!!!!!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1422764420|3825334 said:
I absolutely hated the idea of cruising on large ships until I went on my first Celebrity cruise and have since done another. Luxury, boutique ships are for the very rich (think 10K per person & up). If you shop through CruCon or TravelZoo deals - you can find very nice, very clean & fun cruises on (mid-high mid) brands like Celebrity. Those ships aren't full of young partiers like Carnival or Royal C. ... or families like Disney ... If anything, they veer toward retirees and middle-aged folks. Cruise Critic has forums like here that can be a great resource for planning and advice from people who have taken the exact cruises you're considering. With inside knowledge of the excursions and what excursions to buy from the cruise line or schedule independently or book in person once you get to port. LOTS of scoop. BTW ... neither my husband nor I got stomach sick at all on two 12+ day cruises - but during one cruise I threw my back out, and the medical help on board was very responsive and helpful. There are hand sanitizer stations EVERYWHERE. If you stick to better brand boats I doubt you'll have a problem. (And it doesn't have to be "boutique!" :))

Had wonderful all-inclusive experiences at St. James Club in Antiqua & Le Sport in St. Lucia. St. Lucia being a bit more lush/tropical/rainforest/volcano kind of place ... Antiqua more flat & typical beachy.

DID NOT LIKE my two trips to Mexican Riviera and have sworn to never visit Mexico again. I thought the people were incredibly rude and shiestery. And BOTH times my credit card # was skimmed at some point. Also, if you rent a car, the local cops pull you over and try to shake you down for cash. AVOID!!!!!!!

OOHHHH NOOOOO!!! decodelighted, where the heck did you stay (or not stay may be more appropriate)?? :errrr: When vacationing in Mexico, you are better off staying in a 5 star resort AND NOT LEAVING IT, unless it's a resort-sponsored excursion. Period. OMG, I'm sorry you had a bad time, but renting cars and dealing with local cops??!! What in the world where ya'll doing off the resort?? Yikes!! :-o However, your experiences are the polar opposite of everyone I've ever known to go there. :confused: ...but, in all fairness, none of them tried to navigate Mexico "freestyle" either. Before my first trip, our travel advisor was very serious about that, and she kept reminding us not to do such things. It's really not fair to say "avoid Mexico" because ya'll wandered out on your own, KWIM? (but, in all seriousness, I do NOT recommend being "adventurous" like that in Mexico -- it can be dangerous -- please stay on the resort). I wish you would give it another shot and do it the right way before judging so harshly. :)) Secrets Maroma, maybe?? ;))

Anyway, the boutique cruises sound wonderful, and St Lucia sounds amazing (according to my sisters/friends who've been)... Thanks for the tips -- certainly something different to look into for future vacays! :)) :))

Have any PS members gone on any of the European/Norwegian or Mediterranean cruises?? I've always dreamed of riding along the ancient trade routes and touring the ruins in the ports! ...of course, I've also dreamed of winning the lottery -- which may be necessary in order to make that type of trip happen! HA! :lol: ::)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...I also wanted to comment on the rudeness you experienced, deco. Clearly, that was off the resort. I will agree with you on that. We did a jungle tour, and although not "rude" per se, the tour guides were certainly not as sweet as all those on the resort. Honestly, the Mexicans working at the resorts were the most polite, genuinely nice, most accommodating that we've encountered during our stays. Jamaicans were the rudest -- hands down -- even at the resort, they weren't what we'd been accustomed to as far as positive, pleasant attitudes. The Turks were really nice, but maybe not as warm as the Mexicans. The Bahamians (in general) were "pleasant" -- not as accommodating as we would have liked. Overall, we just love the happy spirit of those on the Mexican resorts. Of course, it could be the resorts that we've stayed in are superior in that aspect -- some of the ones working at the crappier AI's I stayed in during my college years were nice, but I really don't remember a lot... for some reason. :whistle: ;)) :halo:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are there any 4 star resorts (either in Mexico or DR) that allow children that any of you would recommend?

I'm kind of bummed hearing that if you go on one of these resorts, you are pretty much "trapped" in the resort. for example if I went to Mexico I was hoping to see ruins (chitzen ntza), a real cenote or other rainforest. Probably asking too much.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1422803839|3825455 said:
Are there any 4 star resorts (either in Mexico or DR) that allow children that any of you would recommend?

I'm kind of bummed hearing that if you go on one of these resorts, you are pretty much "trapped" in the resort. for example if I went to Mexico I was hoping to see ruins (chitzen ntza), a real cenote or other rainforest. Probably asking too much.

pg, I'm not sure about the 4 star resorts, but any good resort shouldn't make you feel "trapped" -- there's sooo much to do! If you're not big on luxury or 5-star dining, then Beaches may be for you. Also, Secrets has a line of family resorts (I'm not sure what they're called)... The level of luxury obviously is different when it's not adults only, but that doesn't mean it can be fun or nice. Beaches in Turks & Caicos was very nice -- but more expensive than the other Beaches resorts as well. Any resort will have a concierge who can set you up with the activities/excursions director for those types of trips. The pyramids are an all-day trip, and the others are varied. Just check with them on packages, and you'll be set! Sorry, I couldn't be of more help to you. ::)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...and as long as the excursion is done through the resort and is guided, it's okay -- just PLEASE don't venture out on your own.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yikes Deco! What a crappy experience for you! Yeaaaah we'll not be venturing out by ourselves for anything. When we had our Stupid Honeymoon (and yes that's how we think of it!) we were on our own for everything and we vowed not to deal w/that again. (unless it's like taking the kids to Mt. Rushmore or something next year-we can manage that ourselves haha) We'll do excursions to see things that are done thru the resort, and probably guided by them but no way will we be wandering out on our own to mingle w/the locals.

Part Gypsy, when I was on the Secrets website, there is a link up top to look at the other chains they are part of. This is one that does families
http://www.nowresorts.com/?__utma=158141039.506070981.1422806601.1422806601.1422806601.1&__utmb=158141039.0.10.1422806601&__utmc=158141039&__utmx=-&__utmz=158141039.1422806601.1.1.utmcsr=breathlessresorts.com|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/&__utmv=-&__utmk=71418707

and this one http://www.dreamsresorts.com/?__utma=97534848.576247789.1422806667.1422806667.1422806667.1&__utmb=97534848.0.10.1422806667&__utmc=97534848&__utmx=-&__utmz=97534848.1422806667.1.1.utmcsr=dreamsresorts.com%7cutmccn=(referral)%7cutmcmd=referral%7cutmcct=/&__utmv=-&__utmk=7656954

Ohhh and this one looks super kid oriented http://www.sunscaperesorts.com/?__utma=158141039.322953858.1422806699.1422806699.1422806699.1&__utmb=158141039.0.10.1422806699&__utmc=158141039&__utmx=-&__utmz=158141039.1422806699.1.1.utmcsr=nowresorts.com|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/&__utmv=-&__utmk=95995868

Just based on our research thus far, I would be more apt to take the kids to one of these as opposed to Beaches or Sandals..these seem more um...I don't even know what word I'm looking for. On the Sunscape one it says "programs are supervised by Red Cross CPR certified staff members and run by experienced entertainment teams." I like that.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1422806970|3825486 said:
Yikes Deco! What a crappy experience for you! Yeaaaah we'll not be venturing out by ourselves for anything. When we had our Stupid Honeymoon (and yes that's how we think of it!) we were on our own for everything and we vowed not to deal w/that again. (unless it's like taking the kids to Mt. Rushmore or something next year-we can manage that ourselves haha) We'll do excursions to see things that are done thru the resort, and probably guided by them but no way will we be wandering out on our own to mingle w/the locals.

Part Gypsy, when I was on the Secrets website, there is a link up top to look at the other chains they are part of. This is one that does families
http://www.nowresorts.com/?__utma=158141039.506070981.1422806601.1422806601.1422806601.1&__utmb=158141039.0.10.1422806601&__utmc=158141039&__utmx=-&__utmz=158141039.1422806601.1.1.utmcsr=breathlessresorts.com|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/&__utmv=-&__utmk=71418707

and this one http://www.dreamsresorts.com/?__utma=97534848.576247789.1422806667.1422806667.1422806667.1&__utmb=97534848.0.10.1422806667&__utmc=97534848&__utmx=-&__utmz=97534848.1422806667.1.1.utmcsr=dreamsresorts.com%7cutmccn=(referral)%7cutmcmd=referral%7cutmcct=/&__utmv=-&__utmk=7656954

Ohhh and this one looks super kid oriented http://www.sunscaperesorts.com/?__utma=158141039.322953858.1422806699.1422806699.1422806699.1&__utmb=158141039.0.10.1422806699&__utmc=158141039&__utmx=-&__utmz=158141039.1422806699.1.1.utmcsr=nowresorts.com|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/&__utmv=-&__utmk=95995868

Just based on our research thus far, I would be more apt to take the kids to one of these as opposed to Beaches or Sandals..these seem more um...I don't even know what word I'm looking for. On the Sunscape one it says "programs are supervised by Red Cross CPR certified staff members and run by experienced entertainment teams." I like that.

A couple of our guests (my single girlfriends) stayed at Now Jade and said it was "okay" for the money -- so there ya go! :)) My little sister honeymooned at Sandals Grand St. Lucia, and although she said it was nice then, she swears it's "kinda campy" now and will only go to Secrets! HA! I don't know anything about the Dreams Resorts, but this is the "hierarchy," if you will, of all the AM Resorts as far as luxury: Secrets, Zoetry, Breathless, Dreams, Now, Sunscapers. The first three are adults only and the last 3 are for families.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
oooo that looks like a nice one!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1422810797|3825530 said:
oooo that looks like a nice one!

I'll bet they'll have early booking specials!! I'd look into it! Call All-Inclusive Outlet or Cheap Caribbean and see what they can do for you! (I'm soooo jealous!) 8)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results