shape
carat
color
clarity

Alexandrite

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No, it should havw had a lab report with origin. Not to mention pictures on a white background. Without that it is a bit difficult to comment, beyond saying that russian alexandrite from the ural mountains carries a premium (I thought it wqs mined out well before 1930?), so the price wouls have been expected to be sky high for a strong colour change stone. If you are trying to learn then maybe find some pictures of alexandrites in mixed light (this is how they actually will look most of the time, and part of the challenge of buying one is making sure you like it in mixed light conditions)?

Last edited:

Anne111

Shiny_Rock

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@Anne111 You are very kind and generous with your time to share those links--it is greatly appreciated!

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Alexandrite is still a byproduct from emerald mining in Maleysheva. Specimen and some cut stones from rough collected from the mine dump are sometimes available in europe mineral shows in small quantities and often low quality.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Maleysheva being in the Urals for those who slept through geology classes in school, like me. How stupid in hindsight, those days I got bad grades and now I learn it fir fun.

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
I'm by no means an expert, if anything, but spending so much without having a certificate telling you it's a Russian alexandrite is either crazy or I'm-rich-I-don't-care-where-it's-from-it's-pretty kind of carelessness if you'd say, but again maybe I got scammed as well in the alexandrite section due to my inexperience.:nono:
The stone looks lovely though

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From the website it looks like the company has been around for over 20 years and has a lifetime return period for "authenticity." So maybe the buyer felt comfortable with this alone? I am kind of the "trust but verify" girl myself so I would have wanted a lab report before purchasing. I do the love the color of the Alexandrite in the photos.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@IcePhoenix Agreed, I didn't buy it and I'm definitely not the money-bags sort of buyer who could afford to be cavalier with my purchases hehe. Was just curious if it is a true Alexandrite, if the price was appropriate.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@LisaRN thanks for weighing in! I love looking at their items but have never purchased from them. Their pieces are often quite eye catching IMHO. Perhaps if I win the lottery or stumble upon a small fortune, I'd like to have a shopping spree there

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
Is it possible that an IGI certified alexandrite bought on catawiki that displays typical color change (green/purplish red) is a fake or something else? A user here suggested I take to another lab, but honestly I'm a little tight on money so Idk, I mean it already has a certificate which I verified on the site

Any opinions?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It could be a synthetic or simulant.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My understanding is that it is difficult to get a lab to determine and confirm “Russian origin”. And I certainly wouldn’t have bought that ring based solely on those photos.
But yes, an Alex over 1 carat is hard to find and one with a good colour change, harder still.
It’s dimensions makes it quite bottom heavy, which is unfortunate in that you are paying for carat weight that does show “face up”.
You really have to see an Alex in person. While I find I can quite accurately get the purple incandescent colour in a photo, the blue/ green daylight colour is different not only to my eye vs the photo, but even taking 10 photos, none are the same!
And of course you have to wonder if the vendors photos will accurately be reflected by what you see when you get the Alexandrite. Definitely need to have a “no problem” return policy from the vendor clarified prior to purchase.

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
It could be a synthetic or simulant.
The IGI cert says otherwise but right now I'm very worried, it's a small gem but still a bit expensive to have it tested, jewelers around me are not very knowledgeable regarding alexandrite sadly

FinewaterGems

Rough_Rock
Trade
GIA just announced that it now offers origin reports for alexandrite (as it already does with ruby, sapphire, emerald, Paraiba tourmaline and red spinel).

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The IGI cert says otherwise but right now I'm very worried, it's a small gem but still a bit expensive to have it tested, jewelers around me are not very knowledgeable regarding alexandrite sadly
Personally, given the vendor, I would feel confident it is genuine Alexandrite (not synthetic) however I would wonder if the colours shown are accurate in “real life”.
The cost of getting an AGL lab report (mounted) is between $80 and $180 to confirm natural origin and identify enhancements (if any) and that is a very modest amount to pay if you’re paying $17,000 for an Alexandrite ring.
A lab report confirming origin will be more expensive and may require the gem to be removed from the setting for testing but if you are paying a significant premium for a “Russian Alexandrite” this would be worthwhile.
Two other points
1. you can’t 100% rely on an gem being “Russian” or “antique” just because the ring setting is hallmarked Russian and antique, people can simply and easily switch or replace gems.
2. You can’t take a gem to a “jeweller” for identification / confirmation of origin. There are specific education / training requirements to be a gemologist and specialized equipment required for testing. Even if GIA trained it would be unlikely they are up to date on each and every “new trick” out there being used to mislead consumers and they may have never have seen an Alexandrite in person.
When I did a graduate gemologist course 4 of the 5 lecturers (here in Australia) had never seen a Russian Alexandrite in real life!
So my advice would be if buying a $17,000 Russian Alexandrite definitely only buy from a reputable vendor and insist on (or acquire your own) an appropriate and recognized current (within the last year) lab report.

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
Personally, given the vendor, I would feel confident it is genuine Alexandrite (not synthetic) however I would wonder if the colours shown are accurate in “real life”.
The cost of getting an AGL lab report (mounted) is between $80 and $180 to confirm natural origin and identify enhancements (if any) and that is a very modest amount to pay if you’re paying $17,000 for an Alexandrite ring.
A lab report confirming origin will be more expensive and may require the gem to be removed from the setting for testing but if you are paying a significant premium for a “Russian Alexandrite” this would be worthwhile.
Two other points
1. you can’t 100% rely on an gem being “Russian” or “antique” just because the ring setting is hallmarked Russian and antique, people can simply and easily switch or replace gems.
2. You can’t take a gem to a “jeweller” for identification / confirmation of origin. There are specific education / training requirements to be a gemologist and specialized equipment required for testing. Even if GIA trained it would be unlikely they are up to date on each and every “new trick” out there being used to mislead consumers and they may have never have seen an Alexandrite in person.
When I did a graduate gemologist course 4 of the 5 lecturers (here in Australia) had never seen a Russian Alexandrite in real life!
So my advice would be if buying a $17,000 Russian Alexandrite definitely only buy from a reputable vendor and insist on (or acquire your own) an appropriate and recognized current (within the last year) lab report.
Man, I wish I was the one pondering the buying of a 17k $ ring, my alexandrite is far smaller, a mere .59 carats bought from data catawiki

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Man, I wish I was the one pondering the buying of a 17k $ ring, my alexandrite is far smaller, a mere .59 carats bought from data catawiki

Perhaps you could make a separate thread and share some photos? I think folks are getting a little confused with which stone is which now due to your thread hijack.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@Bron357 thanks for the advice, as always! I am in the market for an alexandrite but a bit afraid to pull the trigger given how little laypeople seem to know about it in general. I was eyeing the $17k alexandrite before it got purchased by someone else, but could not bring myself to spend that much without some reassurance that I was getting the real deal.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alexandrite is difficult to buy.
There’s not a huge quantity available, there are some good looking synthetics out there, there are other natural colour change gems (garnet) that can look very similar to Alexandrite and some vendors are happy to promote that any colour change Chrysoberyl is Alexandrite!
Then there’s the clarity (it’s a type 2 gem like emerald so inclusions are to be expected) and to top it off % colour change evident,
Even a tiny Alexandrite with good colour change will cost an arm and a leg, as for one over 2 carats - “wow, there’s a unicorn”!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@Bron357 thanks Bron! Just saw your other post with the cluster setting for your Alexandrite. Any reputable vendors for Alexandrites you would personally recommend?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2606566E-AD44-4554-892E-C4BD044DF27C.jpeg
@Bron357 thanks Bron! Just saw your other post with the cluster setting for your Alexandrite. Any reputable vendors for Alexandrites you would personally recommend?
There seems to be very little about. I did find this on eBay. It has a GIA report and the seller appears reputable.
It shows good strong and “expected” colour change and is over 2 carats AND cheaper than the other ring (already sold). It’s a much bigger face up gem too, not bottom heavy like the other “sold” one. It’s $14,000 and you can make an offer. I’d offer $12,500 and see what they counter offer.
The “holy grail” Alexandrite is of course Russian and that’s mainly because they can show strongly the ideal green/blue to purple/ red colour. Current loose gem stock seems to be mostly from Brazil and the % colour change is often weak and more often the incandescent colour is poor. Indian Alexandrite is often better and stronger in colour and change.
The item number is 173791924457. The seller offers a 14 day return period (return shipping is also at your cost) so you can return it if not as expected.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@Bron357 thank you, I'm very grateful for your generosity in helping me look, I'll keep you posted!

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I recommend Dr. Karl Schmetzer book „Russian Alexandrite“.

Brazilian alexandrite comes from different sources.
Best imo is Hematita - pegmatite hosted with high clarity and in top qualities strong and dramatic CC ( Multicolor ).

My experience with indian alexandrite - the best daylight color ( higher Vanadium content) but only a small percentage with a strong change.

Tanzania produces Alexandrite too - the Lake Manyara material is close to russian material course both are mica shist hosted.

Other comes from aluvial sources like Tunduru/Songea - maybe pegmatite orign and often weaker CC.

To separate Russian Alexandrite from other sources is not very difficult if the lab is allowed to use LA-ICP-MS ( Laser Ablation In
ductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry).

Amount and ratio of elements like Sn, B, Fe, Ga, Ge, Cr, V and Ta and microscopic examination will help to say which orign.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
I recommend Dr. Karl Schmetzer book „Russian Alexandrite“.

Brazilian alexandrite comes from different sources.
Best imo is Hematita - pegmatite hosted with high clarity and in top qualities strong and dramatic CC ( Multicolor ).

My experience with indian alexandrite - the best daylight color ( higher Vanadium content) but only a small percentage with a strong change.

Tanzania produces Alexandrite too - the Lake Manyara material is close to russian material course both are mica shist hosted.

Other comes from aluvial sources like Tunduru/Songea - maybe pegmatite orign and often weaker CC.

To separate Russian Alexandrite from other sources is not very difficult if the lab is allowed to use LA-ICP-MS ( Laser Ablation In
ductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry).

Amount and ratio of elements like Sn, B, Fe, Ga, Ge, Cr, V and Ta and microscopic examination will help to say which orign.

Thank you for all the info!

Roozea

Rough_Rock
Hello, I'm new in this forum so sorry than I'm not post to a right topic. Can you help me with my gemstone? It is very unusual, I love it very mutch and it have got a shine material in 1/3 and when the two material meet it is faint sometimes blue and sometimes white. What is this other material? Alexandrite is beautiful stone. Sorry in the picutre sometimes have a little dirt, but the 2/3 is the stone is very very clean.Thank you, Reka
20190519_155407.jpg 20190519_203225.jpg 20190518_141546.jpg 20190518_100733.jpg 20190518_012502.jpg 20190519_202300.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an Alexandrite with a very similar feather inclusion. It could be an Alex.

Roozea

Rough_Rock
It is like silk or like what make chatoyancy in cat's eye I think. Very beautiful I think 20190521_003715.jpg PSX_20190521_104749.jpg 20190521_003458.jpg 20190521_003542.jpg

Attachments

• PSX_20190521_104749.jpg
    PSX_20190521_104749.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 9

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
It is like silk or like what make chatoyancy in cat's eye I think. Very beautiful I think 20190521_003715.jpg PSX_20190521_104749.jpg 20190521_003458.jpg 20190521_003542.jpg

If you have questions regarding your stone or ring I would create another seperate thread in the Colored Gemstones forum so as to not threadjack the OP! Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results