shape
carat
color
clarity

Alaska Plane door

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No lie, what are the chances? It has been found in a yard behind my sons house.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thank goodness it wasn't found through your son's roof into the living room or bedroom

Especially because he has a brand new house that they just moved into and a one-year-old.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, I think the chances were pretty high it would be found.
Why?
Math, and science.

BTW, what fell was a plug, not a door.
Boeing make one fuselage and if the ordering airline wants seat-configurations for over around 200 seats regulations require an exit door goes there.
But United and Alaska Airlines order it with only around 180 seats, so Boeing is not required to have a door there, so Boeing installs a "plug" with a window in it so it looks nicer.

Here's why I think the plug was likely to be found.
They know exactly when it fell off.
They know exactly where the jet was when the plug fell off.
They know the jet's speed when it fell off ... which must also be the speed of the plug the instant it separated.
They know the direction and speed of air currents then and there between 16,000 feet and the ground.

Drag is a force that can slow down a falling object that's not falling in a vacuum.
They know the shape and size of the plug; therefore they can calculate the drag the plug presented to the air at 16,000 feet.
The drag gradually slows it down at a rate that can be calculated with math and understanding of physics.
On its way down it likely rotated, which changes the drag, which would expand the diameter of the likely landing area.

It fell off over a populated area.
That's unfortunate as it put people on the ground at risk.
But it's fortunate because they can notify the many residents of that area to look for it.

I just hope valuable clues of the cause of the failure weren't destroyed by the plug's impact with the earth.

Last edited:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No lie, what are the chances? It has been found in a yard behind my sons house.

NO WAY! What about the iPhones? Who is Bob?

ETA: I thought you were in the Chicago area. Wasn’t this found in Oregon? I might be misinformed, sorry.

I saw this kind of as it happened on another app and started reconsidering flying again. I still can’t believe this happened.

Recently a local restaurateur who was doing VERY well bought a plane (totally different, it was a small personal craft) and the same day he crashed and passed away.

I love to fly. But I start thinking it’s not so safe when all these things happen in succession.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It fell in the trees behind the house of a science teacher ( how appropriate). He found it by accident. It definitely looks like a door. It missed my son’s house by about 500 ft. They had an area where they thought it would fall but it’s off by about three miles. I told him to go look for items in his yard.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
His funny msg to me after I told him to look:
IMG_4290.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Especially because he has a brand new house that they just moved into and a one-year-old.

phew

the week before the Christchurch earthquake my sister had had their house repiled and underfloor insulation installed
in those days, because they dont get as much wind as say Wellington, concrete roof tiles were not tied down
in the earthquake the roof tiles came through the ceiling just missing the babies cot (That she was sleeping in)
the house was totaled and completly unliverable but my family all survived

they did get a nice new house in the rebuild but its not a nice way to get a new house

im really happy your son's family were all ok

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scary...when it hits so close to home! Glad no one was hurt in the ordeal (on the plane as well as on the ground)!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This event, and the horrendous drive home in very bad weather really hit home for me in that, when my time is up, there is nothing I can do about it.

Therefore, I shall enjoy each day as it comes as much as possible.

DK :))

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That was way too close to home. I’m so glad this didn't end up in your son’s home @AprilBaby.

It was reported on the news tonight that one of IPhones that was sucked out of the plane was found on the ground. The screen on the phone wasn’t even cracked. There was a message on the phone telling the owner where to pick up their luggage.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Tell your son to snatch that door! I bet he could get a bundle for it on ebay! :lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results