shape
carat
color
clarity

Aisle runners

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
What does everybody think about aisle runners? Do you have to have one?? My wedding is in a church and if I remember correctly (I know I''m bad and don''t go to church!), it''s carpeted. My priest said if I want to have an aisle runner, I can but it''s not necessary. And then he said the aisle is 60 feet. Ok, so I started doing research. Most aisle runners are 100 feet. Am I getting cheated out of my long walk down the aisle?!?! But regardless of that which is something I can''t magically fix, is it really necessary to have an aisle runner if the floor already has carpet?

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I had one, but the flooring I walked upon was spanish tile...very easy to slip on.

My sister used rose petals as her aisle runner...her flooring was also carpeted and she wasn''t interested in a "real" aisle runner...The rose petals were gorgeous!!!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
You don''t have to have an aisle runner. Is only the aisle carpeted or the whole church? In my opinion, if only the aisle is carpeted, then a runner is not necessary at all. But if the whole church is carpeted, the a runner might look nice against the carpet. If you want to do the petals thing that AchioAlumna mentioned, you should check with your church first because a lot of churches don''t allow fresh petals.

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve seen runners at all the weddings I''ve been too. I''ve seen plastic/vinyl, I''ve seen lace, I''m seen flowers over lace. Bunch of kinds!

Word of warning, PLEASE be careful with plastic/vinyl if you go that route, I wast just at a wedding where the bridesmaid''s shoe got caught in it, she tore it and literally tripped twice because of it. THANK GOD she didn''t fall down but she was equally embarassed and then every bridesmaid that walked behind her kept tearing it.

Just my 2Cents. Good Luck!
21.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
my cousin in new orleans said that the trend there for brides is to choose the church with the longest aisle to get married in. don''t know if it''s true. nor do i know the average length of a church aisle. i don''t know if i''d do a runner with an already carpeted aisle. check out the colors first to make sure they don''t clash. i also don''t think i''d want to walk on flower petels. i''d be scared they''d stain my dress. i do completely agree on NO vinyl runners!!!!!! i had to do a small fashion show where they lined the runway with that crap. it sucked!!! everyone nearly fell. i wouldn''t want that added pressure/stress on such a special day!!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
My church has red carpet down the isle. My pastor said that he has seen many brides and bridesmaids trip on the aisle runners, but it was to up us if we wanted one. We have decided against it, because I WILL be the person tripping down the isle LOL. Plus, I think my white dress train will just look fantastic against the red carpet! That''s just me though!!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2005 4:22:50 PM
Author: jcrow
my cousin in new orleans said that the trend there for brides is to choose the church with the longest aisle to get married in. don't know if it's true. nor do i know the average length of a church aisle. i don't know if i'd do a runner with an already carpeted aisle. check out the colors first to make sure they don't clash. i also don't think i'd want to walk on flower petels. i'd be scared they'd stain my dress. i do completely agree on NO vinyl runners!!!!!! i had to do a small fashion show where they lined the runway with that crap. it sucked!!! everyone nearly fell. i wouldn't want that added pressure/stress on such a special day!!

It's so funny that you said that about your cousin because my cousin in DC did the same thing--found the church with the longest aisle which was not even the church she belonged to! I guess I like the idea of walking down a long aisle but knowing me and how impatient I am, I'll probably want to get there faster so maybe it's good that my aisle is shorter!

Thanks for all the tips, ladies. While I do like the idea of the rose petals, since I'm not having a flower girl I don't really know how the petals with make it to the aisle unless they are placed before everyone enters the church but then they'll get stepped on by all the guests. I definitely won't do a vinyl runner and the more I think about it, since there is the red carpet down the aisle, I may not do a runner at all. I come from a family of "fallers"--my mother always trips or falls no matter where we are--and I may have inherited that gene so if I can do anything to avoid the potential embarrassment, I think I will!! No runner for me! I'll probably change my mind 50 more times but this is my decision for now!

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.originalrunners.com/

Just in case you change your mind. They have some really pretty ones!
I''m clumsy too so I would trip and fall just like you/your mom!
Any potential place I can fall or trip, ALWAYS happens.
I''m notorious for it!

saturn

Shiny_Rock
My church has a carpeted aisle, and I am not doing a runner.
It''s not one of the details that I really notice, so it just doesn''t seem worth it to spend money on it. I''d rather spend that money on other things.
On a slippery floor, an aisle runner can add traction; but on top of carpet it just makes it easier to trip. For me, just walking in heels is risky enough - I don''t need to add an additional challenge.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
It''s interesting that several of you have stories about tripping on the vinyl aisle runners, bc at my chapel, they charge extra for insurance if you have an aisle runner!! I guess it makes sense.

I ''ve seen some beautiful custom painted ones on theknot msg boards, but really, it''s just another thing to worry about for me, and an extra cost... plus like someone else pointed out, the carpet at my chapel is red, so it will contrast great w/my dress! sounds good to me!
9.gif

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2005 6:42:32 PM
Author: saturn
My church has a carpeted aisle, and I am not doing a runner.

It''s not one of the details that I really notice, so it just doesn''t seem worth it to spend money on it. I''d rather spend that money on other things.

On a slippery floor, an aisle runner can add traction; but on top of carpet it just makes it easier to trip. For me, just walking in heels is risky enough - I don''t need to add an additional challenge.

hear hear!

rms

Brilliant_Rock
my church had a huge long aisle and marble floors. I don''t think I ever evey thought of a runner because I have been to so many weddings where the runner just never stays straight, whether over carpet or not and it can be such a pain. Everyone''s stories of tripping or almost tripping cracks me up. Heck, sometimes I trip over my own feet for no apparent reason at all
37.gif

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
I really like them. Depends on where the wedding is though, and what other ceremony decorations you have. I think it can be too much with a ton of flowers. Here is a pic of our wedding space at the Four Seasons Balcony in Vegas with a runner and it makes that space look like its meant for a wedding without too much other decoration.

Balcony_Ceremony_Set_Up[1].jpg

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Our church had wood floor so the runner looked really nice. We rented the runner from the florist. I''m not sure what kind of material it was (it wasn''t vinyl) but it was a heavy fabric that was almost like a heavy paper that had a white-on-white pattern printed on it.

I was totally worried about tripping when I walked down the aisle. Fortunately, I didn''t.
2.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
My best friend and I got married in the same place. She used an aisle runner and gave it to me to use, and I chose not to. I am going to pass it on to our friend getting married in the same place next year. :)

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
I am using white rose petals as my aisle runner.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
8.gif
Awww.. whoever posted that original runner thing.. I saw the one that was a pink rose pattern and I was IN LOVE.. too bad I need a 100ft runner which is $215! My mother would SLAUGHTER me! Especially since I think the one we are getting from the florist is like $20 or something.. I am just nervous now about it being cheap-o plastic!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, msflutter, that looks just beautiful!!

Well, I spoke to my priest last night and he mentioned the runner. I told him I probably wasn''t going to have one and I really think he was relieved!! He said he''s seen so many people trip on them, they don''t lay right, etc. and since the aisle already has a red carpet, there''s no need for the runner. My decision is made but I can''t thank all of you enough for the great advice and stories!! I hope those of you who are using them will have good experiences but if anyone trips or falls, you have to let us know!!!
emotion-5.gif

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
ms flutter- that looks fantastic! I love the look of runners; they''re best on hardwood floors or tile - it''s just not practical on carpet, or even grass - I think the soft surface underneath makes it a lot easier to trip... my freind had a runner on grass - it was tricky to walk on!

Layne

Shiny_Rock
We used a runner but my bmaids did not walk on it. It was rolled out right before I came in, I walked in on it with my dad (no tripping) and we left it and everyone exited on it after the ceremony.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results