shape
carat
color
clarity

Airport "wand"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tomtom

Rough_Rock
I haven''t been able to find an answer to this question so maybe you all can help me out. I am sure I can get a platinum e-ring through the walkthru metal detectors at the airport, but what if I get pull aside and get the once over with the wand. Will the ring in my pocket set the wand off?? I am planning on proposing while on vacation and I am scared to death of this awkward situation at the airport security.

Any experiences???

Tom

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
I'm in the same situation. Could you keep it in your carry on luggage?

tomtom

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend and I normally just take one carry on when we travel, so it would be really hard to hide it in the carry on. I am paranoid that if I insist on a separate carry on she will get suspicious (she probably would even think twice about it but I am paranoid).

Tom

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
If you keep it in a soft cloth pouch (with no metal snaps on it- get one that ties closed with a string)it shouldn't set off the wand. Also, make sure she goes through first, so that way, if you do get pulled to the side, she will be ahead of you and they will make sure she goes completely through the screening area before they get to you.

I would also make sure you do not do anything to set off the detectors (which is about the only time you get wanded these days). Take off your shoes and put them on the scan belt- most airports make you do this anyway, but even if they don't tell you to, do it anyway. It is amazing how many shoes set of the detectors. Do not wear a belt if you can help it, and if you do make sure it has as little metal on it as possible. Also, don't wear jeans with a lot of metal rivets on them- those make the detectors beep too if they are set very sensitive. Lastly- take off your watch, and do not have any change in your pockets. For men these are the most common reasons for 'beeping'.

I travel too much.

Froof

Rough_Rock
I'm in the same boat, too. Just a few more weeks. I'm getting nervous just by thinking about it.

Thanks for the guidelines, jenwill. It looks like I'll be wearing a toga, rope belt, and bamboo sandals for the trip. I sure hope she won't catch on!
tongue.gif

What about shipping it? Do you know someone on the other end, who you trust with your life? I'm working with a wedding coordinator for my proposal, and she offered me that as an option. Even so, I plan on carrying it myself. Just an idea.

Where are you two headed?

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
Just put it in a small pouch with your wallet when you pass your change through the sensor, then walk through undetected by them or her.
We have helped many guys pull this one off.
Scott

Froof

Rough_Rock
That makes me a little nervous. Producing the ring to put in the tub introduces an opportunity for her to spy the package. Secondly, if the pouch "disappears" in transit...game over! I know, I'm paranoid.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Recently while getting wanded I asked why my comfort-fit wedding ring didn't set the thing off. The TSA gave me an "I dunno" and then proceeded to wand my ring finger repeatedly in an attempt to set the wand off.

It never did pick it up. Strange.

I have had a rivet in my jeans set off the wand. Do figure - the metal mass in my ring must be 100x that of a jean rivet. Maybe steel sets it off where gold does not.

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
Check this thread from a couple of months ago...

https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/x16042.htm

tomtom

Rough_Rock
I guess I will either keep it in my pocket, being sure not to wear any other metal or I will stash it in my wallet. My only concern about the wallet is that the ring may not make it out the other side. I guess I will probably keep it in my pocket?!?

Tom

AtlantaC

Rough_Rock
I would definitely NOT put the ring in an exposed, easy to heist place like yowah suggested. I put my fiancee's ering in a velvet ring pouch and dropped it in the pocket of my pants. I also had no other piece of metal on me when I went through the detector - no watch, no belt, no shoes, no snaps, no zippers...nada. No beep. No problem.

If you follow this strategy and STILL manage to set something off with your metallic knee or whatever, I recommend just mentioning to the wand man that you have an engagement ring in your pocket. When we travel together, we have an arrangement that if one of us gets pulled, the other keeps their eyes locked on our luggage.

boonerings

Shiny_Rock
If there is no change in your pocket, it would likely be fine in the pocket. The sensors are desensitized at the pocket area. Things like belt buckles, watches, and change in pockets pass by there all the time. You could have some other non metallic things in your pocket like buttons, so if asked to, you could produce a wad of stuff out of your pocket in a cupped hand as if it were change and would seem normal to the fiancee from a distance.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results