shape
carat
color
clarity

Airport to Resort transportation

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

firstbase32

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone have any tips for getting from the airport to our resort in the Riviera Maya, Mexico? Our travel agent said it''s best and quickest to take a taxi. I was researching this and someone stated that it cost $125 American one way. It cuts off an hour of the trip. Does anyone know anything about it?

Also...we''ve never flew internationally and are wondering what to expect at customs. Any tips?

Thanks everyone! 51 days until the wedding!

tanyak

Shiny_Rock
We booked our trip through AAA, and our package included a shuttle to the resort. Is there anyway your travel agent can set up you up with a service shuttle now? I''m REALLY surprise they don''t offer it as part of the package.

I''ll be honest, we flew into Cancun, and getting through customs was fine. But as soon as you clear customs, you are practically swamped with people asking if you need a taxi, shuttle, limo and so on and so on. Plus they have marketing booths set up right in the airport. We kept getting directed to booths - at first we thought it was our shuttle service, but it ended up being a guy selling trips and timeshares. It was VERY overwhelming, frustrating, chaotic and loud. I was glad we had our transportation prebooked because I didn''t trust anyone to be straight with me after that experience.

We used American Express. Don''t get me wrong - they try to sell stuff, too. But I felt A LOT safer knowing we were using a company that AAA had a relationship with. I would be very nervous taking a taxi, but that''s just me. And with the shuttle, we had already paid as part of our package. We just had to tip them.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used a very reputable shuttle service recommended by the resort. You have to get through all the people asking you if you want a lift, but they are parked outside in their own area and were great. I can''t remember the name though, so if you want me to dig it up for you I can.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Does the resort offer a shuttle? Many of them do. It may be for an additional fee, but they would take you directly to your resort instead of a shuttle that hits all of them.

I flew to Cancun last spring to go to a resort near Playa del Carmen and as I waited and waited for the resort shuttle, I talked to the other Americans standing beside me, going to the same place... we almost got in a cab and split it but then our shuttle showed up. Sometimes, if you split that cab ride, it''s worth it. And depending on the time of year, you could be surrounded by fellow travelers much like yourself.

Customs isn''t a big deal, but just don''t "look guilty". In high school I traveled with a girl who had never been out of the country before and she actually talked the guy into inspecting our luggage because she went to the wrong line... I was so annoyed with her. If you look "innocent" they''ll be nice to you. Just have your documents out and ready so you don''t have to dig around for them. They HATE that.

firstbase32

Shiny_Rock
We booked through a travel agent out of Indianapolis. He said our best bet was to grab a taxi because it would only cost $60 each way and it would take us right to the resort. I''m nervous because neither of us have been outside the country alone and I don''t want to get down there and no one offer that price and us to get stiffed. I found a website that offers transportation from the airport to the resort for nearly $150 or so round trip...I don''t know how I feel about just finding some company and hoping they show up to pick us up and take us to the resort. I am going to look around the resort''s website and see if I can find an e-mail to find any companies they recommend for transportation. Also...I may ask the travel agent if they can make the arrangments for us...who knows. Any suggestions?

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Well, Cancun and Riveria Maya barely qualifiy as out of the country as far as ease of travel goes... that area of Mexico is so dependent on American tourists that you don''t have much to worry about as far as not knowing what''s going on. Almost everyone in the hospitality industry (including cab drivers) speaks enough English for you to understand and vice versa. And since they are so dependent on tourist dollars, you''ll hear a lot of competing bids on cabs and other travel. Feel free to haggle too.

I found the cab drivers to be very helpful, and if you go into town from your resort, most will offer to come back and pick you up so you won''t have to worry about finding another cab. We arranged for that, and on the way back to the resort, we asked him to take us to a grocery store. He didn''t keep the meter running or anything, just waited for us to shop and then took us back to the resort, and we didn''t feel ripped off in the slightest.

I''ve traveled out of the country quite a bit, but I felt that Mexico was very easy and will definitely be a good introduction to international travel. Don''t be afraid, just use common sense and watch out for pickpockets. Also, wear sunscreen and don''t drink too much! That''s where most people get into trouble!
2.gif

firstbase32

Shiny_Rock
yea...I just turned 21 in Nov. and haven''t drank yet...(i''m a Youth Ministry major and my school has regulations against it, althought I personally see nothing wrong with it, as long as it''s in moderation). So while we''re down there I plan to drink a few daquiri''s and stuff but nothing too excessive. I''m not sure how much off the resort we''ll do except going to tourist stuff...I def. plan to bring sunscreen so that we don''t get burnt and I also heard it''s pretty expensive down there.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
You''ll be ok! I saw a lot of people at our resort who went crazy on the tequila and passed out in the sun, blistering themselves like cooked lobsters! Not that I HAVEN''T done that myself, but it was many years ago...
2.gif
As long as you eat when you drink, you''ll be fine. And yes, sunscreen is more expensive in a resort area, but they also have the UVA stuff that is very expensive here more readily available.

Playa del Carmen is a great afternoon of shopping with lots of good places for dinner, so do try to get off the resort at least once.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results