shape
carat
color
clarity

Airport Metal Detector w/ Diamond or Plat??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bright

Rough_Rock
Okay probably a dumb question but....do airport metal detectors pick up diamonds or platinum?

I am planning on proposing over seas and I need to sneak it over with me and I do not want to be stuck getting down on my knees in the security line at the airport!!

Thanks.

justme

Shiny_Rock
I travel a couple of times a month - metal detectors won't go off for gold/plat worn unless it a very large chunk and depending on the sensitivity level that the detector is set at. My 18K watch makes it through 95% of the time, but will sometimes set it off.

But I wouldn't suggest carrying it in your pocket - because you'll have 2 options loose: NOT safe from losing it or in the box: which will have junk metal as a frame or hinge that WILL set the detector off. Then you would be stopped and searched and have to remove ALL items from your pockets giving away your secret!

Put it in your carryon bag in the box - it will only be out of your sight when going through the actual xray machine. If by chance your 'number' is up and you get stopped for additional security check you have the right to have your bags within your eyesight at all times, so politely ask to have your bags before being given the once over.

The best way to avoid get the 'paw through your bags' check is to pack only 'soft' items in this bag. Clothing, books, magazines,etc. MP3 or CD players (usually Okay) to help ensure no extra check pack ring box away from them so security xray doesn't see something electronic and junk metal (assuming in box) on top of each other or next to each other and call for extra inspection.

out of room - page 2!

justme

Shiny_Rock
BTW - DON'T pack your celebratory bottle of champagne/wine in your bag as this WILL usually get you stopped to insure that it's sealed and confirm it's not explosive!

Hope this helps!

Oh yeah - one other thought you don't have to 'declare' personal jewelry when entering most foreign countries on the form that they have you fill out to get through customs. And it's been since July since I was in the UK but I don't recall anything different about going through customs (other than the above) that would trigger any additional searches there.

You didn't state which country you were headed to but if you let me know I can ask co-workers as they go to different countries than I do!

Hope this book helped!
Justme
wink2.gif

Bright

Rough_Rock
Wow, this is great information thank you!! I was planning on the pocket move, well the mini change pockets they sew into pants. I guess I will have that carry on glued to me then. I will probably leave the original box at home to avoid problems and use a small bag to conceal it, as I was not really planning on using the box for the big event anyway.

As for countries...Greece, UK and some Turkish Islands. I would agree with you that we probably do not have to declare personal items, but if you could check with your cohorts that would be wonderful!

Thank you again!
Bright

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results