shape
carat
color
clarity

Air purifiers

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the post that the CDC took down yesterday about airborne transmission of coronavirus, one of the things they recommended was that people use air purifiers. There are a lot of options out there with different technologies. It’s hard to choose one that will be best. Do you use an air purifier? If so, what kind and why? Also, how many do you have?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought two of these 2 wks ago when wildfires devastated my area. By the time I got to Home Depot, there were few choices left and I had no time to do my usual produce research before making a decision. I haven't yet done any research about it. What I can tell you about this unit is that it's excellent cleaning the air of fine soot and ash particles as well as pet hair and dust. I wish I would have purchased one sooner. It has helped a lot with reducing my allergy symptoms.

purifier.jpg

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Levoit air purifier in my room because my bird lives there. It's almost silent. My younger daughter has the same in her room. They are for small areas. One of the best air purifiers is the Rabbit brand. Many bird enthusiasts have them. Our bird's respiratory systems are extremely delicate.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I also have a Honeywell. The HPA200. Works great An added bonus, at least for summer, is that it puts out cool air.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
we operate 3 dyson air purifier/filters around the-clock.

im sure there are better ones out in the marketplace.

i understand some are "beyond" hepa filtration. im quite curious about those ...

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
We added air purifiers our furnaces---we are quite happy with them. Air smells very clean and cooking smells go away very quickly.
We started thinking about this more seriously due to Covid.

We asked our HVAC guy and this was his recommendation.

Obviously, there is no data regarding this type of cleaner and Covid, but this is the type of system they use in hospitals. It works on viruses like MERSA so we figure it can't hurt.
It should help with our allergies as well.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
fwiw

edit: I know someone with the whole house in the hvac system variant of these and they really like it.

Last edited:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a dyson airbalde with a HEPA in the open main part of the house, another one in my son's room, and a non dyson in my bedroom. So basically the whole house. We run the main room one during the day and the bedroom ones at night. We got them for allergies but if they can help with this too that's a nice bonus!

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The CDC unfortunately is not an agency to rely on for information anymore. From what I've read from credible sources, if you want an air purifier for coronavirus protection, you need to look for 2 things: a HEPA filter and a CADR (clean air delivery rate) of at least 300. Beyond that, you need to size the purifier to the size of the room or space you want to put it in.

Between the virus and the smoke in the West, air purifiers are hard to come by right now so you might have to wait to get one that meets these requirements.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I will say that our HVAC units make the air smell—-different. The closest description I can give is the clean smell when a room has lots of houseplants. Crisp and clean.
It is proven for molds, allergens, bacteria and some viruses—but again, no data regarding Covid as it is so new.
We will definitely install in our next home, if only from an odor and allergen standpoint.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
The CDC unfortunately is not an agency to rely on for information anymore. From what I've read from credible sources, if you want an air purifier for coronavirus protection, you need to look for 2 things: a HEPA filter and a CADR (clean air delivery rate) of at least 300. Beyond that, you need to size the purifier to the size of the room or space you want to put it in.

Between the virus and the smoke in the West, air purifiers are hard to come by right now so you might have to wait to get one that meets these requirements.

Here's a handy website for figuring CADR. The Honeywell I bought says it for a 310 sq ft room. The CADR's are 200 for smoke, 190 for dust, 180 for pollen. But, I bought it for a smaller room and that should give me CADR rates.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock

Rainwood--I agree with your sentiment regarding CDC. To say you should use an air purifier without providing detailed information is simply muddying the waters. It would be more helpful if the CDC website provided more information (or links) regarding expectations of either room or HVAC purifiers.
They just made a CYA type statement without helping people make educated purchases.
As far as I know, there are no known air purifiers of any type that are proven regarding Covid. It is all too new and there has been no testing.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to work business development with Lifa Air in the middle east so I got to know the product and top management pretty well (family run company). As far as I know they are one of the top ranked in the world. Check out the stats on their website linked above, they have a few different models available. They are very quiet and intelligent so low fuss. Bit more expensive but worth it. (I would definitely buy one for myself if needed).

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I have to mention that I was skeptical of the air purifier that my mom purchased for me for Christmas last year, but I found that it decreased a lot of my allergy symptoms- including some hair loss. I'll be waiting until the wildfires subside to buy a larger unit.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I posted in family and home but I’ll copy and paste again here.

I love my air purifiers. I have two Alen BreatheSmart 45i’s and one 75i. They really do a great job. In the kitchen area I have the 75i with the Heavy Odor Antimicrobial True HEPA Filter. And for the 45i’s they have the True HEPA-Odorcell filter which is able to filter out mold and bacteria. I believe it’s this filter that’s able to grab coronavirus or similar airborne viruses. The filters last almost a year for me and I have 5 animals and a bunch of fur and pet dander.

https://alen.com/

Edit: forgot to add that what put me over the edge is their lifetime warranty. Anything goes wrong, they will try to fix it, if not, they send you a new one. Forever.

I also want to add that it also sucks up A LOT of pet hair. Since we have 5, used to be 6 :cry2: animals, you can just imagine all the fur but it does a great job of sucking those little hairs inside and trapping them in the first filter.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results