shape
carat
color
clarity

Air Fryers

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m thinking of getting an air fryer but I’m kind of on the fence. Are they worth it? I see that I can make a whole chicken and frozen foods in it, but is there anything else to this appliance? Do you guys have any recommendations?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm interested to see what folks think about these. DH has asked about getting one but apparently our new microwave has an air fryer setting. Haven’t tried it out yet though.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love them! Have two!!!! It's like a supercharged oven.

We like crispy food as opposed to boiled so they are perfect for us.

We reheat a lot of baked goods, nuggets, fries, bread in the airfryer

We use it to roast chicken pieces, veggies, lasagne, pasta bakes

Could not live without mine!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What brand to people have, and do you recommend it? I'm also thinking of buying one.

Rhd3

Shiny_Rock
I have the instant vortex pro and it's super convenient. It's worth it just for the rotisserie, dehydrator, and air fryer basket. It makes great rotisserie chicken, bacon, burgers, and fries. It did a nice job of dehydrating fruit, too. I've only had it a month so I'm still experimenting. It's easy to clean but is loud. It doesn't have the best user manual either but there are a lot of youtube tutorials.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve had one for 2 years and seldom use it bc hubby doesn’t really care to cook with it and he’s true cook. But when I have to cook—I love it. For: Chicken tenders (no oil and super yummy), French fries, salmon. I use it bc I don’t have to use oil to cook!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a tiny kitchen with little counter space.
That's one reason I try to avoid non-essential kitchen gadgets, but this one is tempting.
I love the taste and experience of crispy crunchy fried food, but I rarely eat it since it's so unhealthy.

If these new air friers really can replicate the decadent indulgence of fried food without harming health I'll get one.
If they get you only half way there, I'll pass.

So I'll be following this thread.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are a bunch of YouTube videos re air fryers comparing brands and also with non air fryers as well as cooking demonstrations. I can’t watch anymore as I get hungry and simply have no room for another appliance.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the taste and experience of crispy crunchy fried food, but I rarely eat it since it's so unhealthy.

Kenny, You can do fries o/w oil, but I usually spray some Pam olive oil on top of the fries.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have the instant vortex pro and it's super convenient. It's worth it just for the rotisserie, dehydrator, and air fryer basket. It makes great rotisserie chicken, bacon, burgers, and fries. It did a nice job of dehydrating fruit, too. I've only had it a month so I'm still experimenting. It's easy to clean but is loud. It doesn't have the best user manual either but there are a lot of youtube tutorials.

Ok now you have my attention
I looked at dehydrators years ago after a friend lent me hers to make biltong
We don't have a lot of room for s kitchen worth of gadgets but this would be a big plus

Ive only seen one airfryer
The one that looks like Darth Vader from the as seen on tv shop
My friend got it but its way to small if even two people want a descent portion of chips

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes PS's quote feature does not work.
So ...

Kenny wrote, "I love the taste and experience of crispy crunchy fried food, but I rarely eat it since it's so unhealthy."
Then DF responded, "Kenny, You can do fries o/w oil, but I usually spray some Pam olive oil on top of the fries."

DF, thanks but the chemical accelerants in aerosols, including "Pam", can harm parrots so there are no aerosols whatsoever in our home, also no teflon pans or irons.
I'm super careful with my beloved birdie.

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF, thanks but the chemical accelerants in aerosols, including "Pam", can harm parrots so there are no aerosols whatsoever in our home, also no teflon pans or irons.
I'm super careful with my beloved birdie.
I have a parrot in the kitchen and he is 26 yrs old and very healthy.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a parrot in the kitchen and he is 26 yrs old and very healthy.

It's a free country so you are free to do whatever you want to your bird.
Me? I'll respect the science.

Google, "Are aerosols safe for birds?"

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Google "Are aerosols safe for birds?"

Do whatever you want to your bird.
I'll respect the science.
I don't use aerosols very often.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whaevs.
No aerosols ever enter my house.

But, do whatevs you want to your bird.
Free country.
Don't you have some airless spray in your house? :Up_to_something: the spray that you use for drying your diamonds?.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't you have some airless spray in your house? :Up_to_something: the spray that you use for drying your diamonds?.

Yes and no.
I have it but since it's an aerosol it is never in the house, let alone used in the house.
I keep it on my back porch and step outside to use it.
The weather down here is nearly always pleasant.

I feel it's okay to spread the word about things that harm our pets.
And I won't be quite just to be "polite".
I don't think that would be very polite to the birdies.

But again, it's a free country for you to do whatevs you want.
At least now you're informed.
Zillions in America have turned their back on science and reason.

Last edited:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I got that one when I was caring for my father, but decided not to keep it after he passed because I have less counter space in my home. Major regrets, if only because...

THIS THING IS ABSOLUTELY THE BEST THING GOING FOR REHEATING PIZZA!

Which has nothing to do with its air frying capabilities, so..,

Carry on.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got that one when I was caring for my father, but decided not to keep it after he passed because I have less counter space in my home. Major regrets, if only because...

THIS THING IS ABSOLUTELY THE BEST THING GOING FOR REHEATING PIZZA!

Which has nothing to do with its air frying capabilities, so..,

Carry on.

Here's how I reheat pizza.
First I put my pizza stone in the cold oven.
Set oven to 450 but let it go till the stone itself registers 450 on my laser thermometer.
Just because the oven's buzzer beeps, doesn't mean the stone itself has reached 450 yet.
When it has, I put pizza on it for around 14 minutes.

Nom Nom Nom!
Crispy on the top and bottom, but gooey on the inside. :P2

If I ever get an air fryer I'll let you know which I think is better.

Last edited:
I believe you can achieve same/similar results with a convection fan-forced oven so I haven’t bothered to get one. I still manage to make ludicrously crispy chicken wings! For French fries only deep frying will achieve that perfect consistency.

Rhd3

Shiny_Rock
Ok now you have my attention
I looked at dehydrators years ago after a friend lent me hers to make biltong
We don't have a lot of room for s kitchen worth of gadgets but this would be a big plus

Ive only seen one airfryer
The one that looks like Darth Vader from the as seen on tv shop
My friend got it but its way to small if even two people want a descent portion of chips

It is small but does have many useful functions. I don’t know how big the one you’ve seen is to compare. The vortex could fit up to a 4 pound chicken on the rotisserie and do 4 burgers at a time if that helps. You couldn’t dehydrate a lot of food at once either. The trays fit two large bananas, sliced. You could probably do 1 pound to 1 1/2 pounds of jerky at a time.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is small but does have many useful functions. I don’t know how big the one you’ve seen is to compare. The vortex could fit up to a 4 pound chicken on the rotisserie and do 4 burgers at a time if that helps. You couldn’t dehydrate a lot of food at once either. The trays fit two large bananas, sliced. You could probably do 1 pound to 1 1/2 pounds of jerky at a time.

Mmmmmmm
Jerky
Yum !

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe you can achieve same/similar results with a convection fan-forced oven so I haven’t bothered to get one. I still manage to make ludicrously crispy chicken wings! For French fries only deep frying will achieve that perfect consistency.

Agreed. Air fryers are just tiny convection ovens. If you have a regular oven with convection, it does basically the same thing.
I'm not a fan of additional appliances and never got the hype on air fryers. My mother in law begged for one for xmas (now 2 xmases ago), used it twice, and then it sat in a box. She offered it to us, but my oven already has convection so we declined. I'm sure its still in the box somewhere in their house lol.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
re pam spray. my brother has one and he brushes olive oil on fries and stuff when doing them in the air fryer. Much better than sprays.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
re pam spray. my brother has one and he brushes olive oil on fries and stuff when doing them in the air fryer. Much better than sprays.
I have a spray bottle designed for olive oil. I just refill it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results