shape
carat
color
clarity

Ahh..Vertigo

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone. Well, I''ve been pretty stressed this week. I also didn''t feel well, but I assumed it was because of allergies. I started feeling dizzy on Sunday, but it went away and came back off and on. After trying every medicine I could think of I finally went to the doctor this afternoon and it looks like I have vertigo. I''m not surprised because my Mom has it and so does my Grandma. Just needed to vent, I know it isn''t anything really serious since it isn''t chronic vertigo, but I am worried it will get worse.
32.gif
Thanks for listening.
40.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My dad has it, no fun. I hope it gets better for you. What did the Doc say? Dad''s is worse in the heat. My friend''s Mom has it aslo, so know it''s a pita. Best of luck, hoping you get it under control.
1.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! She said it''s either because I have a virus or something or it''s just happening due to my ears being blocked up. They x-rayed my sinuses and I did have some congestion, so I got a nasal spray as well.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2008 11:16:19 PM
Author:SarahLovesJS
Hi everyone. Well, I''ve been pretty stressed this week. I also didn''t feel well, but I assumed it was because of allergies. I started feeling dizzy on Sunday, but it went away and came back off and on. After trying every medicine I could think of I finally went to the doctor this afternoon and it looks like I have vertigo. I''m not surprised because my Mom has it and so does my Grandma. Just needed to vent, I know it isn''t anything really serious since it isn''t chronic vertigo, but I am worried it will get worse.
32.gif
Thanks for listening.
40.gif
I suffer from vertigo from time to time. When I feel it coming on I pop a 24 hour sudafed tablet and bonine tablet. That seems to do the trick.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I have it a lot because of my sinus trouble and some damage to my ear drum from a childhood ear infection. Bonine is my salvation. I hope you feel better and still soon!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Oh man. I had it for about two weeks. It was probably the worst thing I''ve ever felt, and believe you me I am always sick with something. I had it so bad my head felt like it was shaking, and I was actually sick to my stomach. I couldn''t walk, it was so bad. I felt like someone had a hold of my head and was shaking it from side to side, which in turn made me totally unable to function. I just wanted to commiserate with you. Every now and then I get a little dizzy, but thank goodness nothing near to as terrible it was. Here''s to hoping you feel better soon.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2008 11:13:19 AM
Author: AmberWaves
Oh man. I had it for about two weeks. It was probably the worst thing I''ve ever felt, and believe you me I am always sick with something. I had it so bad my head felt like it was shaking, and I was actually sick to my stomach. I couldn''t walk, it was so bad. I felt like someone had a hold of my head and was shaking it from side to side, which in turn made me totally unable to function. I just wanted to commiserate with you. Every now and then I get a little dizzy, but thank goodness nothing near to as terrible it was. Here''s to hoping you feel better soon.

I told my doctor the same thing yesterday about feeling like someone had control of my head and was moving it around! Haha. Thanks everyone, I wanted to say so far I feel a bit better today, yaaay!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Do you get sick to your stomach, too? It''s seriously the worst thing I''ve ever experienced, and every little time I get dizzy I wonder if it''s just the beginning of vertigo again! Ugh, so terrible.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I did a bit, but not too bad! It came on really bad (for me anyway) yesterday when I was sitting in class. I was sitting there and all of the sudden I was like ohhhh crap this isn''t good.
32.gif
I managed to keep taking notes somehow, lol. Not sure how.
33.gif

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2008 12:01:27 PM
Author: SarahLovesJS
I did a bit, but not too bad! It came on really bad (for me anyway) yesterday when I was sitting in class. I was sitting there and all of the sudden I was like ohhhh crap this isn''t good.
32.gif
I managed to keep taking notes somehow, lol. Not sure how.
33.gif

Me thinks it was magic! When I had it, I couldn''t even walk down stairs unassisted, my vision was just off. In fact, I had to have my dad come pick me up at work because my boss was like, "What is wrong with you?! GO HOME!!" So he had to drive all the way up here and take my arm and walk me down the stairs. It was really embarrassing, but he''s my dad, so it''s okay. What I hated was the fact that it didn''t matter if I was laying down or sitting up. Just purely swimming brain.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mother the health food nut, who also gets it, says Ginger is supposed to be good for it. I have no idea what form it comes in to take for this, but you might enquire at your local health food store. Couldn''t hurt.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. I have had vertigo for several years. I apparently had a severe inner-ear infection for months before I went to the dr. (I didn''t have any pain or anything.) I actually went because I kept falling over. I would just be standing there talking and start leaning or tipping. I was prescribed Meclizine and am supposed to take it everyday. For the first couple years I did. Now, I pretty much play it by ear (pun intended) and take it when I feel the need. So, even though mine is technically "chronic", I''m not 100% dependent on meds. I think I''ve learned to deal with it except when it gets screwy when I''m sick or something. My grandpa also has chronic vertigo and takes the same med when he feels the need, but not necessarily everyday. So, while it''s a giant pain in the butt and completely make you lose your nerve on ladders, it''s easily tolerable.

Good Luck!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! It''s nice to hear someone else who deals with it without meds all of the time. And I will try some ginger!!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
:::::knocking on wood:::::::::

8 years ago, I woke up and went straight to pee, mu usual routine, but had trouble walking and the whole time I was sitting the room was spinning...BADLY...and I kept swaying into the walls on the way back to the bed. The room wouldn''t stop spinning and I was dry heaving. I swear I thought I had a brain tumor
32.gif

I was yelling for my daughter to get up and get me some crackers and water, but unless I kept my head in one certain position, the world around me was out of control. I was scared, scared, scared. Nothing keeps me down and I had to bite the bullet and call in sick and wait until the docto''s office opened.

My daughter couldn''t drive my manual transmission and she had to get to work anyway. Luckily her boyfriend at the time arrived and he literally had to pick me up and toss me in the back seat of my car. I tried to protest and crawl myself while staring at one spot on the floor, but was dry heaving the entire time. It was surreal.

When I got to the doctors office, my daughters boyfriend had to carry me in and lay me on a table. We ran through the scenerios...No, I hadn''t drank any alcohol, no it couldn''t be food poisioning as all three of us had the same honey baked ham dinner and they were fine, then the doctor made me follow his finger as he moved it from side to side (while keeping a vomit pot in front of me) and it immediately diagnosed me with BPPV...severe. I was like "Can''t I ever just get a common cold?"

I had previously had 7 surgeries on my inner ears, so perhaps that caused an early degeneration of the "ear rock crystals" that get loose and move into your middle ear and mess with your equilibrium. I have to carry Meclizine or some other "motion sickness" medication with me, just in case it comes back. That first bout though, they had to use suppositories on me...YUK!
39.gif
because I couldn''t keep anything down orally.
14.gif

VERTIGO SUCKS!! People also think you''re drunk when you''re not.
7.gif
I have never had that severe of a problem again, but since then, have had it a few times where I had to go in and have the Epley manuever performed to get my ear rocks off my "E" spot!!
36.gif

Sarah, if it gets bad, you can always google BPPV and the exercises, if done right, can really help with the vertigo. If you ever need any help with the proper way, just ask me. I am an expert on this stuff now. Booooo, that I''m not a bling expert
40.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh. Vertigo is no fun. I get it from time to time but I never have warning signs. I''ll feel fine one day and the next day I"ll be in bed, unable to move because the room is spinning and I feel so nauseous. I''ve never had it for more than two or three days at a time though, so I guess that''s good.

I hope you feel better soon!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get vertigo from time to time to, and I imagine it''s because I''ve suffered from sinus problems my entire life. I don''t, however, take any medication ever so I can''t comment about the bonine.

Over time I''ve learned what triggers my vertigo, (escalators are the worst thing I can take, for example) and just tried to do my best to keep myself healthy so as not to trigger it. I have had mornings when the room is already spinning before I get out of bed, but they''ve always been during a cold or sinus infection.

I suppose what I''m trying to say is the healthier I am, the less I get it.

Good luck!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2008 11:18:59 AM
Author: miraclesrule
VERTIGO SUCKS!! People also think you're drunk when you're not.
7.gif
I have never had that severe of a problem again, but since then, have had it a few times where I had to go in and have the Epley manuever performed to get my ear rocks off my 'E' spot!!
36.gif

Sarah, if it gets bad, you can always google BPPV and the exercises, if done right, can really help with the vertigo. If you ever need any help with the proper way, just ask me. I am an expert on this stuff now. Booooo, that I'm not a bling expert
40.gif
I was waiting to comment on this, but I bet this is what my mom had done a couple years ago. I knew she'd gone to some kind of physical therapy for a horrible bout she had a couple years ago. She was here last night, and I asked her about it, but unfortunately she's in the throws of Alzheimer's, and didn't remember having the vertigo, or going to physical therapy. At any rate, I think it really helped her.

http://www.tchain.com/otoneurology/disorders/bppv/bppv.html

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had this problem off and on for about 20 years, I have anavert to take when I have the problem, the last time I had it the wanted me to try the physical therapy thing, I thought they were nuts and never did it...I might have to check into it.

Edited to say THANK YOU Ellen for the link, this is me to a Tee....

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
My doctor actually suggested that, hmmm maybe it isn''t so crazy!
1.gif
Thank you for posting it and I am sorry about your mother suffering from Alzheimer''s I will send prayers her way!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondrnglover, you''re quite welcome. I would definitely give it a try, it certainly couldn''t hurt I don''t think.

Sarah, you might give it a try too, and thank you so much.
1.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Maybe someone has already mentioned this, but does it make anyone else just feel tired as well? I know that the Meclizine does, but I felt exhausted even before I took it. Dizzy then exhausted. Blegh. I still feel wiped out today.
14.gif
40.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I guess I do feel abnormally tired when the vertigo is at its max. The meclizine doesn''t make me tired anymore. My RX is to take it 3x a day so that would be awful if it made me sleepy!

As I recall, the only side effect I''ve had with the Meclizine was drowsiness. But, I don''t remember it bothering me for a long time. It''ll probably decrease in the next few days.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
I just got back from the doc an hour ago, i have vertigo too,,,

this thread is helpful, i have meclizine...

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2008 8:14:41 PM
Author: divergrrl
I just got back from the doc an hour ago, i have vertigo too,,,

this thread is helpful, i have meclizine...

Hello! ((Hugs)) and non-dizzy dust to you.
40.gif
14.gif
I am sorry to hear you''re dealing with it too.
15.gif
I''ve been taking half a meclizine every night and I am used to it now, it isn''t even making me tired by now, so I think it''s a dream! I''ve also been using mucinex and a nasal spray just to keep any fluid out of my ears. So far I am doing great aside from some occasional dizzy moments. They go away pretty quickly though, so yay!

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
I have a friend who had vertigo. When this happened, his doctor said that his ear crystals are out of alignment. The doctor did a head maneuver called the "epley maneuver" to realign his ear crystals and he instantly felt better. You may want to google it for more info. Hope this helps!

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
I''ve taken meclizine before when on a cruise, and it never made me drowsy, worked great,and i never got seasick.

My doc prescribed some wacky transdermal ear patch that goes behind my ear. Apparently the pharmacist said NASA uses them on astronauts. Who knows.

I''m still dizzy. We''ve had a house of sickies (my dh & kids had strep, colds, allergies,etc) and I thought I skated by unscathed....not so much.

on the bright side, dh brought home chinese take out & donuts. LOL>

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/29/2008 10:54:07 PM
Author: Rock Candy
I have a friend who had vertigo. When this happened, his doctor said that his ear crystals are out of alignment. The doctor did a head maneuver called the ''epley maneuver'' to realign his ear crystals and he instantly felt better. You may want to google it for more info. Hope this helps!
I''ve had vertigo off and on for over 10 years now and it is *exactly* what I would wish on my worst enemy! People that have never had it have no idea how horrible it truly is. The first time I got it I sat up in bed like normal and fell down as though I had hit a wall. It took me 45 minutes to be able to sit up straight. Scared the living crap out of me.

The epley maneuver is a LIFE SAVER. If your vertigo is positional, then you MUST find a PT who does this!!!! (Sarah, it doesn''t sound like yours is BPV - benign positional vertigo - but if anyone else out there reading this has it ...)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2008 1:09:53 AM
I''ve taken meclizine before when on a cruise, and it never made me drowsy, worked great,and i never got seasick.

My doc prescribed some wacky transdermal ear patch that goes behind my ear. Apparently the pharmacist said NASA uses them on astronauts. Who knows.

I''m still dizzy. We''ve had a house of sickies (my dh & kids had strep, colds, allergies,etc) and I thought I skated by unscathed....not so much.

That would help anything.
9.gif
Hope you feel better!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2008 10:13:43 AM
Author: Ellen
Date: 4/30/2008 1:09:53 AM

I've taken meclizine before when on a cruise, and it never made me drowsy, worked great,and i never got seasick.

I'm still dizzy. We've had a house of sickies (my dh & kids had strep, colds, allergies,etc) and I thought I skated by unscathed....not so much.

That would help anything.
9.gif
Hope you feel better!

I hope you feel better, too! And I agree ellaila I'd wish it on my enemy, too. Haha.

ETA: My doctor did suggest the maneuver, but I am not sure I need it yet. We'll see, right?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Diver~ Welcome to the club. Avoid heights, and amusement park rides!

Actually, I like heights and adore amusement park rides, I just double up on Meclizine before I go. Works like a charm!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results