shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS1 diamond - Need your opinion!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Miya

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I am considering this stone. Can you let me know what you think of it?

AGS Excellent 1
G
SI1
Table: 58 (I like this table width)
Depth: 60.8
Crown angle: 34.8
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Culet: Pointed
Girdle: 0.7% - 1.4%
Symmetry: Ideal
Polish: EX

Would someone be kind enough as to pluck the figures into your machines and post me a simulation of the Lightscope? Also how could I know the verdict from the BrillanceScope?

I am getting this stone shipped to me. But from the AGS cert, the inclusions are all clustered right in the middle of the stone!!!!!!!

Thanks!

justme

Shiny_Rock
I don't know if you used the HCA yet but your numbers would give you a 1.5 (TIC) score. (EX,EX,EX,VG)

You can find this tool on the banner above - cut adviser. Also a great explaination of how to use it and what it indicates.

Hope the stone is everything you wanted!

Justme

Miya

Rough_Rock
Let's say I have 2 stones with same carat weight, colour and clarity.

One is an AGS0 and the other an AGS1. Was told by the dealer that the only reason why it is an AGS1 is because the polish is not IDEAL (but EX). Is that true?

The HCA score of the AGS1 is 1.5.
The HCA score of the AGS0 is 2.0.

Although both the AGS0 and AGS1 are SI1, the AGS1 has a cluster of inclusions right in the middle (still eye clean) whereas you could not even really see the inclusion with a loupe on the AGS0.

Should I go for the cut (AGS1 with HCA 1.5) OR lesser inclusions and ideal polish (the AGS0)?

Which one would you pick?

justme

Shiny_Rock

----------------
On 2/10/2003 2:33:10 PM Miya wrote:
Let's say I have 2 stones with same carat weight, colour and clarity.

One is an AGS0 and the other an AGS1. Was told by the dealer that the only reason why it is an AGS1 is because the polish is not IDEAL (but EX). Is that true?

Assuming that ALL other things are identical - yes, the polish being an EX would give the stone an AGS1 rating over the AGS0.

But if you are using the numbers in the stone above - the table of 58% also pushes this stone into an AGS1 (AGS0 table range = 52.4-57.5). If you like the table size of 58% then go with it!
----------------
Justme

Miya

Rough_Rock
I am pretty surprised that the AGS0 scored a HCA of 2.0 whereas an AGS1 scored a 1.5! Am I putting in the wrong figures?

AGS0
G
SI1 difficult to see even under loupe)
Table: 55
Depth: 60.8
Crown Angle: 34.9
Pavilion Angle: 41.0
Symm: Ideal
Polish: Ideal
Girdle: 1.0% - 1.4%
Culet: pointed
HCA: 2.0

AGS1
G
SI1 (cluster of inclusions but still eye clean)
Table: 58%
Depth: 60.8%
Crown angle: 34.8
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Symm: Ideal
Polish: EX
Girdle: 0.7% - 1.4%
Culet: Pointed
HCA: 1.5

I was told that both will fall under the 1B cut and that the HCA score should not determine everything.

I cannot make a decision!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

sad.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Miya, both these stones should be very nice looking. The DiamCalc confirms the HCA, with the AGS 1 edging out the AGS 2 in performance by just a hair. I'll post the simulated IdealScope images of both.

There's just a hint more leakage inside the table on the "0" than on the "1". I'll also post some photoreal images which show how this leakage gives a slightly darker look right inside the table.

A very close race, with the AGS 1 edging out the AGS 0 "by a nose".

IdealScope image- In general, the darker pink areas indicate areas of greater light return, with the lighter pink areas indicating areas of lesser light return. The black areas indicate areas of greater contrast, with the gray areas indicating areas of lesser contrast. The white areas indicate areas of light leakage. A good explanation of the IdealScope image along with examples can be found at https://www.pricescope.com/idealscope_indx.asp

Disclaimer- The facet arrangement and symmetry of the image will probably vary from your actual diamond, which may affect the light performance indicated. The computer simulation is reproduced best when the actual diamond is being viewed and the image "tweaked" to the appearance of the diamond. However, this "blind" reproduction should be fairly close on the major points.

1.21 AGS 0.jpg

Miya

Rough_Rock
So Rich, assuming both stones cost the same, would you pick the AGS1 over the AGS0? Or would you go for the brandname 'AGS0' even though it is that little bit less-performing?

I am inclined towards the AGS1 because I prefer its table (58%) over the AGS0 (55%). The only thing that is holding me back is the cluster of inclusions right in the middle of the table! (although the dealer said it is 'eye clean'). I have sent both stones to an independent appraiser and am waiting for his assessment. (although from talking to the appraiser yesterday and giving him the specs, he seem to be inclined towards the AGS0 and he does not really believe in the HCA).....

I will post again when I get feedback from the appraiser.

Then maybe everyone can throw in your 2 cents.

Thanks Rich! You are a star for posting the images
wink2.gif

Miya

Rough_Rock
I had a closer look at the Idealscope images you posted, Rich. You mentioned that there is a hint more light leakage in the AGS0. How come the AGS0 looks more pink and has better contrast?!?

Are my eyes playing tricks on me?!?

The photoreal image of the AGS1 looks great. I love it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results