shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS grade numbers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does the AGS think a J color is better than a SI1. I know they are not the same think colour and clarity but let me explain. I was looking at a J color VS2 clarity diamond which my jeweler said had a better balance than an I color SI1 clarity. I have not discussed AGS numbers with my jeweler so do not know why he thinks it is a better balance - maybe the cut of the stone. Most people on here said color was more important as it was visible to the naked eye whereas clarity was not. However looking at numbers given by AGS as these are the two things I am deciding between, dropping color to get the clarity I like, the J color gets a 3 grade but the SI1 clarity gets a 5 grade.

Can anyone including the experts comment on this. I hope it makes sense what I am asking. I know as I said color and clarity are two different things.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are 23 letters from D to Z , but only divided into 10 catagories by AGS. There are 11 GIA clarity grades and 11 AGS clarity grades. Remember to count zero as one grade so that makes 11 total for AGS.

Therefore, the AGS numbers do not line up in relation to eachother in making a comparison of the value of color to the value of clarity. They are just "numbers" and they stand alone.

The "balance" the jeweler was speaking about has to do with his own taste in "balancing" a color and a clarity grade of a given diamond with a budgeted monetary amount.

Your "balance" point may well be a bit differently oriented and that is okay. Since you are getting educated, you will make a better decision when the time comes to finalize your choice.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Oldminer. I understand it now, the grades are separate.

In your opinion, I know you cannot see the stone, would a J VS2 be better than an I SI1?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is a better clarity and a worse color. Now, we have to ask ourselves, is the color on both stones graded correctly. Maybe both really are J or both are I, or possibly the I is a J and the J is an I. These colors are very close to one another.

The same thing might hold true for clarity although with fewer total possible grades there is a tiny bit less subjectivity and a little bit more separation of each grade. Not much, but maybe just a wee bit more. Remeember, there are borderline calls in each clarity grade, both high and low. The SI1 might be a low or high SI1 and the VS2 might be a low or high VS2. They might be in the middle of their clarity grade. Maybe another grader would say there is no difference. Maybe another grader would subjectively feel there is some slight difference.

You just cannot simplify grading diamonds to the point where no expert decision making is required. The best minds in the diamond business have been thinking about diamond grading for many years and where we are today has already been a difficult process. Maybe in a few more years we will have more objective and repeatable grading that the entire diamond trade agrees upon. Until that time comes, we must use our own taste and values to decide which diamond ultimately is better than another for each of us as an individual.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The I SI1 is $88 more than the J VS2. Richard Sherwood has already said on another grade that there should be 10% difference with color being more expensive than clarity if the cuts were the same.

Looking back the jeweler has just told me one is an I SI and the other is a J VS, I think I have added on the numbers accidentally.

I know the VS stone is very very clean maybe even a VS1 but as a consumer I do not know. The jeweler has another jeweler working with him and they have estimated the grades and both agree on the clarity and color grades. This is not therefore being done by a lab and both rings are mounted so I know that is not perfection either.

I really like the VS stone but what I read on the boards about color J is putting me off also some websites say they recommended no lower than an I.

I have a diamond which is a little smaller bought from a chain store years ago and is 'supposed' to be a color G. The J color stone face up looks better than the G so the face up view does not put me off but the side view of the stone does a little bit.

I read what you said about balance but in the Fred C book which I know if not accurate he speaks about balancing color and clarity grades and the J is down amongst the I1 stones but I color and SI is in the same balance grade. Does this have nothing to do with how the jeweler is balancing the two stones against each other?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results