shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS cut statistics

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

officefan

Rough_Rock
Just out of curiosity....

Does anyone know where I can find the percentages of stones that AGS grades as AGS 0, AGS 1, etc.

Basically, I''m trying to see if their grading patterns follow a normal statistical distribution. I''d assume they do.

I''m not doing this for any reason, just curious.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
why should it follow a statistical pattern?

cutters are very confident in what grade the stone will get before it is submitted. and virtually all stones will be a 0 or 1, as anything else will not get a cut grade.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
more like 99% ags0
if it wont get the grade it will get sent to GIA to try for EX.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Not so fast...

Date: 2/10/2009 8:05:01 PM
Author: JulieN

cutters are very confident in what grade the stone will get before it is submitted. and virtually all stones will be a 0 or 1, as anything else will not get a cut grade.
Good answer...but I think for the wrong reason.

Yes, it might follow a pattern...if all cutters were required to send all stones there. But...they''re not. So, to begin with, they have to think they''d have earned a 0 or 1 to even send it in.

But...they might be wrong in their guess. What''s the result? Go to Blue Nile, and sort by AGS. But...you''ll see a good number without cut data. Probably, they didn''t get the zero, and decided to hold & fold...and just get a reporting of the data, and call it a day.

But...check me on this.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/10/2009 8:59:41 PM
Author: Regular Guy
Not so fast...

Date: 2/10/2009 8:05:01 PM

Good answer...but I think for the wrong reason.

Yes, it might follow a pattern...if all cutters were required to send all stones there. But...they're not. So, to begin with, they have to think they'd have earned a 0 or 1 to even send it in.

But...they might be wrong in their guess. What's the result? Go to Blue Nile, and sort by AGS. But...you'll see a good number without cut data. Probably, they didn't get the zero, and decided to hold & fold...and just get a reporting of the data, and call it a day.

But...check me on this.
You'd have to look at all the AGS stones that were EX/EX with proportions that are 0 candidates. I find most of the AGS stones without cut grade to generally be poorly proportioned. There's no way to sort for BN's AGS stones, so it's conjecture.

DiamondsDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
JulieN describes the situation well: Diamonds are sent to AGS to get the AGS 0 (and the coveted “triple zero”), or close to it, and thus the stone will sell at a premium. All other diamonds go to GIA.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 9:45:10 PM
You''d have to look at all the AGS stones that were EX/EX with proportions that are 0 candidates. I find most of the AGS stones without cut grade to generally be poorly proportioned. There''s no way to sort for BN''s AGS stones, so it''s conjecture.
Sure you can...just select on the column.

You likely wouldn''t do it on 100% of their offerings. But for any given sort...you can gather together the sample there and look at each AGS option.

But what are you otherwise saying? Most AGS stones without cut grade are generally poorly proportioned. What rationale, then, must be used to send it to AGS. This is a real question. They''re actually being sent there to avoid getting a cut grade? Wouldn''t it be better to send to EGL for being called ideal, regardless of the proportions?

officefan

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 11:08:30 PM

You'd have to look at all the AGS stones that were EX/EX with proportions that are 0 candidates. I find most of the AGS stones without cut grade to generally be poorly proportioned. There's no way to sort for BN's AGS stones, so it's conjecture.

You likely wouldn't do it on 100% of their offerings. But for any given sort...you can gather together the sample there and look at each AGS option.

But what are you otherwise saying? Most AGS stones without cut grade are generally poorly proportioned. What rationale, then, must be used to send it to AGS. This is a real question. They're actually being sent there to avoid getting a cut grade? Wouldn't it be better to send to EGL for being called ideal, regardless of the proportions?

These are all interesting answers....I asked because I just bought an AGS0 cut and when I describe it to people they have no clue what I'm talking about. I was trying to find a way to re-frame the description by saying the top (insert percentage here) of all cuts.

But this seems like I've asked a loaded question with no set answer.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Why worry about explaining it? It sounds like you are wanting to brag on your stone a little to people who don''t understand the value of cut. Just let the diamond do the talking--it will be apparent that your well cut stone sparkles more. Be happy knowing that you did your research before purchasing and got a high quality diamond.

JMHO

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 11:17:45 PM
Author: officefan

These are all interesting answers....I asked because I just bought an AGS0 cut and when I describe it to people they have no clue what I''m talking about. I was trying to find a way to re-frame the description by saying the top (insert percentage here) of all cuts.

But this seems like I''ve asked a loaded question with no set answer.

Office, now that''s a bit of a different question...that may have been answered here somewhere. Meanwhile, you can quickly tune into the tutorial here to get a related answer, posed differently...

-----------------

University analogy
IGI and EGL are like large statewide universities.

GIA is Ivy League, and AGS is like the MIT rocket-science program.

A polisher or manufacturer sends each diamond (student) to the place it will get the best grade (earn more $).

The good to average go to the large universities (IGI/EGL).

The better ones are sent to the Ivy League (GIA / HRD) and a few nerds go to MIT (AGS).
Drop outs end up in a ‘program’ at a chain store or Joe''s Bar & Grading Lab.
This fun analogy underplays complex factors such as a cutters specialty and client base and a dealers target market.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/10/2009 11:08:30 PM

You likely wouldn't do it on 100% of their offerings. But for any given sort...you can gather together the sample there and look at each AGS option.

But what are you otherwise saying? Most AGS stones without cut grade are generally poorly proportioned. What rationale, then, must be used to send it to AGS. This is a real question. They're actually being sent there to avoid getting a cut grade? Wouldn't it be better to send to EGL for being called ideal, regardless of the proportions?
EGL stones are harder to sell, I assume. GIA has a long turnaround time. (And maybe GIA is more expensive?) Even, it might not get GIA EX.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results