shape
carat
color
clarity

Age-appropriate gifts for a 12-year-old?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
Xmas is rapidly approaching, and we''re dealing with the whole what is asked for vs. what is given thing with my 12-year-old stepson.

DH and I already bought him some nice new clothes for Xmas, along with a video game for the Xbox 360 we''ve recently acquired. We''ve asked him what he wanted for Xmas, and he''s asked DH and I for a video game called "Prototype" (rated M for Mature
38.gif
) and he''s asked my FIL for an iPod Touch. I know he''s at that age where he''s wanting to grow up, but that desire isn''t matched by responsibility or emotional maturity. I''m strongly opposed to getting him the iPod Touch (FIL offered to split the cost with DH). For one, I''m not comfortable with him having access to the internet willy nilly, w/o supervision and guidance. Second, his grades aren''t up to snuff, and the Touch would be another distraction. Third, he hasn''t shown a good track record for taking care of items and not losing them. DH bought him an mp3 player for last Xmas, which he left lying around until someone spilled something on it. It wasn''t soaked by any means, but he hasn''t bothered seeing if it still works. He can''t seem to articulate exactly why he wants one or what he''d be using it for except to "show off".

I told FIL I''d send him some suggestions as to what to get him, but all I can think right now is more clothes or 1-2 new games. I don''t want my stepson to feel patronized, and I want him to enjoy his Xmas, so I guess I''m looking for suggestions for some great age-appropriate gifts. Ideas?

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Skateboard
Nerf gun
Lego kits with motors and robotic capabilities
Laser tag

I think I can speak for 12-year-old boys--don''t over do it on the clothes. And one video game is enough.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions, swingirl! He''s got a skateboard, and had a nerf gun.

Laser tag? That''s brilliant! Of course, now I''m having visions of DH and stepson crashing through the house...
9.gif

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Trampoline?

My little brother has one of those 2 wheel skate boards, he loves it, and it''s a bit different.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2009 3:22:10 PM
Author: MustangGal
Trampoline?
My little brother has one of those 2 wheel skate boards, he loves it, and it's a bit different.
It's called a Wave. Those are fun. Not for long distance but good for carving in smaller spaces.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Electronic chess set? Tiny indoor remote helicopter.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2009 3:09:42 PM
Author: Aloros
Thanks for the suggestions, swingirl! He''s got a skateboard, and had a nerf gun.

Laser tag? That''s brilliant! Of course, now I''m having visions of DH and stepson crashing through the house...
9.gif
My 7 & 9 year olds have a bunch of nerf guns. IMO, you''ve got to have a couple extra so when friends come over, they all can play. Now that I think of it, when the boys had a party (about 12 kids) we only have 9 or 10 guns and one of the boys cried because nobody was sharing with him.
7.gif

With the Laser, you gotta have as set-up for at least one friend.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results