shape
carat
color
clarity

ADVICE STONE (ON HOLD)!! I’m about to commit to this stone for my engagement ring.

Danna

Rough_Rock
Alright, short and sweet.

I am a novice and certainly don’t know enough to commit without getting the opinion of some experts.

unheated Parti sapphire from Tanzania. Everything I’m looking for! Are there any obvious problems or queries on this stone? Opinions of color and cut?

here’s the Instagram link: PLEASE WATCH THIS!!

verified by Bellerophon labs! I have checked the report myself and everything ads up. 7F1DC0D5-043C-46E9-8919-BCE4A4035CD1.jpeg

D38B85E2-63C3-4D20-9F42-D6D35B4C22E1.png

luckyblackcat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi @Danna! I'm not an expert but I think this stone is gorgeous. If it's a serious contender, you may want to ask the vendor about a refundable holding deposit, as I've been told drawing attention to an item on PS invites lurkers to snap things up.

Danna

Rough_Rock
Hi @Danna! I'm not an expert but I think this stone is gorgeous. If it's a serious contender, you may want to ask the vendor about a refundable holding deposit, as I've been told drawing attention to an item on PS invites lurkers to snap things up.

Thank you so much! I’ve just put a hold on the stone!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It shows a lot of extinction (dark areas) and more green than parti.
What is the return policy?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would want photos in multiple light sources, and I know it’s a large stone, but I assume you’re okay with the window???

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I think the stone is going to look quite brown/muddy in normal lighting. I can also see visible inclusions in the middle of the stone that would drive me crazy. Plus, I have never heard of the lab and have no clue if the report is reputable. For an engagement ring, I would personally keep looking.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that even though I have heard of this vendor and believe they are reputable, the stone will likely be "muddy " in person. I would say it's a muddy green color that most people wouldnt care for. I would hesitate to call it a parti at all. Can you show us your ideal color? I am worried that this wont end up working in person

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the return policy and from where is it going and where do you live? would you have to return it overseas from the US for instance?

do you like the green or the parti part? What is drawing you to this stone?

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
He certainly gets some gorgeous stones! I have a parti sapphire with green. This one is much prettier and has more green than mine and mine doesn't look muddy. Parti sapphires are not for everyone, and there's a lot of variety. Just ask him for more photos, get a video outside. He's good about providing them.

Laurainthesky

Shiny_Rock
There are better parti sapphires out there! Keep looking! That stone will not look pretty when you are glancing down at your finger. This one is mine. There is no brown in it. Picture not great and these stones are hard to photograph. 20210408_162143.jpg

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
BTW, Bayoto and CalebQuashen on IG get them, if you want to take a look. There are others, but I'm not sure if you want more blue or green- or even teal. I see them frequently.

Sellers are in Tucson, so you could perhaps ask one to look there for you. Maybe Yvonne Raley on etsy or Desert_Rose on IG. They'd probably want some sort of deposit if you bought it though.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had some exchanges with that vendor -- all cordial. I have not made a purchase from them. All the photos and videos are to die for, which makes me a little uneasy...

I think that stone will be olive green -- if that's what you/she are looking for. Of all the green stones, sapphire is not at the top in terms of appearance, imo, but is probably the only one durable enough for an e-ring.

Danna

Rough_Rock
There are better parti sapphires out there! Keep looking! That stone will not look pretty when you are glancing down at your finger. This one is mine. There is no brown in it. Picture not great and these stones are hard to photograph. 20210408_162143.jpg

Thanks so much for your advice! I decided not to go ahead with buying it. Instead I’ve found two other very beautifully coloured sapphires. I’d love your opinion on them! Both certified, one natural paparadscha, one Ceylon blue heated. 85991C15-8FDD-4869-8A8D-66FA33D140CB.jpeg

Danna

Rough_Rock
I had some exchanges with that vendor -- all cordial. I have not made a purchase from them. All the photos and videos are to die for, which makes me a little uneasy...

I think that stone will be olive green -- if that's what you/she are looking for. Of all the green stones, sapphire is not at the top in terms of appearance, imo, but is probably the only one durable enough for an e-ring.

Bloody hell you can never trust those gorgeous photos and videos!! Definitely not after olive green. Thank you for advice. I’m currently choosing between these two gorgeous stones instead with a jeweller in Australia, which I feel much more comfortable with. Both certified: one sunset paparadscha no treatment, the other a gorgeous Ceylon blue with heat. Any opinions?? A516F328-0AF8-44BF-B769-7DBCE83BDBF9.png 6C7EB0B0-6D5D-462B-A402-26B501AD62BA.jpeg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ If the photos are inaccurate (and I assume that they are), then the first one is your better bet, imo.

Pads are funny -- very few of them are amazing. If not for the name and the storied past, I don't think they would be so sought after. And I think you need dark skin to really show them off.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have trouble falling in love with the padparadscha based on your pics. It looks more cognac coloured, rather than that sweet lotus pink orange.

The blue sapphire looks nice even though it has some extinction. Pears are notorious for having a darker tip, no thanks to the pear shape.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
These three stones are all so different that I would recommend pausing and thinking about what it is that you really want. There are hundreds of combos of types of gems, colors and cuts that would be suitable for an engagement ring. It seems like you're after a sapphire, so I would start by narrowing down the color you're after, and then the cut. Your search will be easier when you are not casting such a wide net! If you are really set on one of the two stones above, the blue is definitely nicer than the "pad." Remember that not all certifications are equal, and the pad looks to be quite brown, and quite windowed. I doubt it would receive a "pad" rating from a reputable lab. The blue will be dark, and will turn darker still once set, but at least it is well-cut.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
These three stones are all so different that I would recommend pausing and thinking about what it is that you really want. There are hundreds of combos of types of gems, colors and cuts that would be suitable for an engagement ring. It seems like you're after a sapphire, so I would start by narrowing down the color you're after, and then the cut. Your search will be easier when you are not casting such a wide net! If you are really set on one of the two stones above, the blue is definitely nicer than the "pad." Remember that not all certifications are equal, and the pad looks to be quite brown, and quite windowed. I doubt it would receive a "pad" rating from a reputable lab. The blue will be dark, and will turn darker still once set, but at least it is well-cut.

Totally agree with this. It's really overwhelming when the scope of possibilities is so large. Maybe @Danna if you share some ideas for what you want the end result to look like, people can also make recommendations if you are overwhelmed.

In another thread (btw, I recommend confining your search to a single thread so people can more effectively follow your journey) - you mentioned that your top pick of colors is blue. I also would personally nix pads....just based on budget alone especially if you like other colors. If you want a 9mm pad with stronger saturation that is actually engagement ring worthy - you'd likely need to triple your budget or more.

So if it is blue that seems to be calling you more, I'd start there and stop considering anything outside of blues, and zero in on particular blues that you are drawn to. There are so many pretty stones out there, it is easy to be distracted. You are not alone in liking a lot of colors - which is why many people here buy multiple rings - but your e-ring - that deserves careful consideration.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How are you setting this ring? Are you open to just any color at all? I feel like your pics are all over the place. That’s ok ! Just makes it hard to make a suggestion I’m not sure I know your vision

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results