shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice please on a potential Steven Kirsch reset

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all - sorry if this is duplicative for some of you, I posted about this in another thread. I am planning a reset for my MRB solitaire, and I want to go with a Steven Kirsch design (I love his work). I have been contemplating a couple options, but the one I keep daydreaming about the most is the Francesca design. Below are some pictures from his website.

I have a few concerns and I was wondering if anyone can chime in with opinions:
1. Do you think the diamond designs between the prongs will block the light flow?
2. Is this too "design-y" for everyday wear?
3. Should I ask to re-orient the prongs so they are at 12 and 6 o'clock (I saw another thread about this just the other day)?
4. Steven said I can't wear this next to a wedding band, it might mess up the engraving, do you think that's right?

Thanks so much for your thoughts!! Here are the pictures from his website:

IMG_0780.jpeg IMG_0781.jpeg IMG_0782.jpeg IMG_0783.jpeg IMG_0784.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Answers in Bold

1. Do you think the diamond designs between the prongs will block the light flow?
With well-cut stones the light comes in from the top, bounces around, and then goes back out the top.
Is your stone a well-cut stone? In general, the work by the prongs should not mess with the light your stone
uses/needs.

That's a matter of personal opinion. I know of several PSers that wear a lot fancier/blingier every day.
3. Should I ask to re-orient the prongs so they are at 12 and 6 o'clock (I saw another thread about this just the other day)?
No, the cathedral part of the shank connects up with a prong. If you reorient them it (the shank) will be left
hanging in the air. That's not really a designer look IMO.

4. Steven said I can't wear this next to a wedding band, it might mess up the engraving, do you think that's right?
I would go with what SK says. Is there a wedding band that goes with this that is held off by the milgrain around
the finger or the prongs of the ring? I would ask him.

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
@tyty333, thank you so much for your reply, I greatly appreciate it!! PLUS you actually eliminated a couple issues for me!! Here are my answers (in red italics) to your answers:

With well-cut stones the light comes in from the top, bounces around, and then goes back out the top.
Is your stone a well-cut stone? In general, the work by the prongs should not mess with the light your stone
uses/needs.
The cut of my stone is rated excellent by GIA, but it is not a super ideal by the standards of this forum, but I can see from your answer that I can stop worrying about this.
That's a matter of personal opinion. I know of several PSers that wear a lot fancier/blingier every day. Agreed - I know its not so blingy, just my own stress about whether I will regret losing the flexibility of being able to pair this ring with other bands. I think I am almost past this anyway.
No, the cathedral part of the shank connects up with a prong. If you reorient them it (the shank) will be left
hanging in the air. That's not really a designer look IMO.
Oh I see that now! Thanks.
I would go with what SK says. Is there a wedding band that goes with this that is held off by the milgrain around
the finger or the prongs of the ring? I would ask him.
I'm going to do that. Thanks again!!!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely ring design! You won't have to worry about light return issues if the stone is cut well.

I don't think this is too ornate for everyday wear. That said, I would personally want to pair it with one or more bands and it sounds like that would not be an option with this ring. That's the only part that would deter me. I'd rather stick to a plain shank or something with the design on the face up part only so I could still wear a wedding band.

It looks like you are used to wearing bands, and I have a feeling that the desire to do so might creep back on you in the future. Definitely want to be prepared for that!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. Do you think the diamond designs between the prongs will block the light flow? I don't think so. The design elements don't look bulky.
2. Is this too "design-y" for everyday wear? Agree with @tyty333. Lots of peeps wear way more design-y stuff.
3. Should I ask to re-orient the prongs so they are at 12 and 6 o'clock (I saw another thread about this just the other day)? Which do you prefer? Current or 6 and 12? If six and twelve, maybe consider another design?
4. Steven said I can't wear this next to a wedding band, it might mess up the engraving, do you think that's right? Yes, I think it will more toward the bottom of the shank. The upper part will be held at a distance with the prongs. But does it matter, as an honest question. Let's say over 10 years it gets worn down. Just get it re-engraved. Small price to pay to wear a design you love. Well, it just depends on who you are. If I love it, I would wear it how I want to wear it.

Beautiful design. Love Steven's work. CAn't wait to see the end result.

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely ring design! You won't have to worry about light return issues if the stone is cut well.

I don't think this is too ornate for everyday wear. That said, I would personally want to pair it with one or more bands and it sounds like that would not be an option with this ring. That's the only part that would deter me. I'd rather stick to a plain shank or something with the design on the face up part only so I could still wear a wedding band.

It looks like you are used to wearing bands, and I have a feeling that the desire to do so might creep back on you in the future. Definitely want to be prepared for that!

Thank you, @twosanguinehearts, and very good points!

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
1. Do you think the diamond designs between the prongs will block the light flow? I don't think so. The design elements don't look bulky.
2. Is this too "design-y" for everyday wear? Agree with @tyty333. Lots of peeps wear way more design-y stuff.
3. Should I ask to re-orient the prongs so they are at 12 and 6 o'clock (I saw another thread about this just the other day)? Which do you prefer? Current or 6 and 12? If six and twelve, maybe consider another design?
4. Steven said I can't wear this next to a wedding band, it might mess up the engraving, do you think that's right? Yes, I think it will more toward the bottom of the shank. The upper part will be held at a distance with the prongs. But does it matter, as an honest question. Let's say over 10 years it gets worn down. Just get it re-engraved. Small price to pay to wear a design you love. Well, it just depends on who you are. If I love it, I would wear it how I want to wear it.

Beautiful design. Love Steven's work. CAn't wait to see the end result.

Thank you, @LLJsmom - I actually hadn't thought of it that way - meaning that I could fix any damage from wear and tear later. In general, I do wear my things how I want, and consider wear and tear just something that makes them more "mine". As for the prong orientation, I never thought about that at all until I read a thread about it here the other day, ha ha!!

I am meeting with Steven again next week so I will update this thread then. I am so excited!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, @LLJsmom - I actually hadn't thought of it that way - meaning that I could fix any damage from wear and tear later. In general, I do wear my things how I want, and consider wear and tear just something that makes them more "mine". As for the prong orientation, I never thought about that at all until I read a thread about it here the other day, ha ha!!

I am meeting with Steven again next week so I will update this thread then. I am so excited!!

And my personal opinions abo it wear and tear. I expect it. I don’t try to bang my rings/jewelry against hard surfaces but wearing down happens. Over enough time it adds to the meaningfulness of a piece, IMHO. It shows love, rather than it looking completely pristine. Also it depends on how much the wear and tear shows. On a love bangle I don’t like scratches. It’s obvious and to me mars the shininess of the bangle. But On a little ring with engraving wearing down, I most likely won’t even notice.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Can’t wait for your update.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed. You’ll wear the engraving away, but you won’t do structural damage for a very long time. Assuming you’re planning a band with plain metal sides - pave, you’ll definitely want a spacer.

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
Minor update! My hubby and I visited with SK yesterday, and we discussed the project and I left my diamond (in its existing setting) with him... eek!!!! So excited!!!! Work order to come on Monday!! :dance:

The prongs are oriented that way because of the placement of the design in between the prongs, so that one of such designs can be centered in the middle, seen in picture below.

IMG_0783.jpeg

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
Work order is signed and now I wait! I asked for a couple tweaks to the design, a small donut at the base of the design (SK called it an "under bezel"), so I could possibly wear a band more easily, and 2 tiny surprise diamonds on the bottom of the shank representing each of my DDs. :kiss2:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that's quick! Please share lots of pics!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I missed this post when you posted it, and I was so sad I didn't because I would have said to add the doughnut which will help protect the engraved shank and I see you added that anyway! Yay! I adore the engraving and certainly would want to wear a band with a solitaire ring! I can't wait to see it!

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
I missed this post when you posted it, and I was so sad I didn't because I would have said to add the doughnut which will help protect the engraved shank and I see you added that anyway! Yay! I adore the engraving and certainly would want to wear a band with a solitaire ring! I can't wait to see it!

Thank you, @diamondseeker2006! I really appreciate your opinion. I spoke to SK yesterday and he said it came out great. :)

Will post pictures this afternoon after I pick it up.

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
It's here and so much better than I even imagined! So delicate looking, even on my giant finger!! Sorry, my iphone photography skills are lacking:
95BE0569-AACC-4AF3-8AF4-C87B8F4B9097.jpeg

Attachments

• 04F48E7E-AB6D-42A2-B8A5-0F4FD5C3D6A3.jpeg
    04F48E7E-AB6D-42A2-B8A5-0F4FD5C3D6A3.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 13

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it! Save some pics for a show me the bling thread!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh how absolutely beautiful!! You must be thrilled. Yes, please start a SMTB thread with lots of pics!

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
FYI, I started a thread on SMTB.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!

I also want to say that I think it's good of SK to warn that wearing a band with it will wear away the engraving. I can see how that might be alarming to someone at first but imo it's a lot better than not letting them know that would be a normal wear and tear issue they'd encounter.

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous!

I also want to say that I think it's good of SK to warn that wearing a band with it will wear away the engraving. I can see how that might be alarming to someone at first but imo it's a lot better than not letting them know that would be a normal wear and tear issue they'd encounter.

Thanks, @distracts. I agree with you and I feel like the issue was fully disclosed, and how I deal with it is up to me. For now I am going to wear it alone for a bit. I also don't have the right band, so I think I will try to figure that out too, ha ha!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results