shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on three stone engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brayhearts

Rough_Rock

We have two family diamonds: a .92 RB and a .62 round that I think is a transitional cut (same shape as modern RB but larger facets.) BF and I wanted to do a custom 3-stone e-ring with these two stones and purchase a matching .62 for the other side. We were psyched and thought that the 2 transitional side stones and center RB would look cool, and would really make the .92 RB pop. Then we met with two local jewelers, who said it wouldn’t look good to mix different cuts and different colors. I don’t have any papers on the .62, but both jewelers think it is a top light brown (it is darker, but I don’t see a lick of brown, it’s more silver.) So, we’ve decided to save the .62 for another day, and use the .92 for the e-ring buy two .60 RB to use as sidestones. Long story short, we aren’t feeling so comfortable using either of the two jewelers anymore. Main reason, no in-house designer and I’m afraid one or more design elements will get lost in translation. They have stalled on getting us a price breakout and specs on the design we want…they say, “we’ll make it exactly like you want.” So we are currently researching local designers that we can meet with face to face. Considering the amount of time custom takes, I’m not entirely opposed to buying a stock three stone setting. Do you know any vendors that make a stock setting that would fit my diamonds, in platinum, with a few melee in the shank? Below are the specs on my .92 RB; a picture of my .92 RB and my .62 transition. Also, we are seriously considering buying the sidestones online (thanks to PS

9.gif
), based on my .92 specs, how high or low in color and clarity would you go? And do any vendors specialize in matching stones? Thank you so much for your help! I have been a PS stalker for a few months now, and the knowledge I''ve gained is invaluable! I appreciate you all so much!!!

.92 RB; Color: I; Clarity: high I1
Measurements 6.29mm x 6.28mm
Total Depth: 60%; Pavilion Depth 40.2%
Table 58%; Table Diameter 3.65mm
Crown Angle 35%; Crown Height 14.7%
Girdle 3.2%, .20mm
Culet none
(NAJA Appraiser)

-bray

brayPSupload2rocks.JPG

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The custom or stock debate is always a good one. A setting fabricated from forged wire will be denser and thus stronger and harder than a cast stock piece. The cost of the hand fabricated piece is usually more than cast stock piece but how much more depends on who you work with. About the matching sides, any good vendor should also be able to provide two well matched stones with similar proportions, color, and clarity.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2009 12:25:26 AM
Author: Diamond Explorer
The custom or stock debate is always a good one. A setting fabricated from forged wire will be denser and thus stronger and harder than a cast stock piece. The cost of the hand fabricated piece is usually more than cast stock piece but how much more depends on who you work with. About the matching sides, any good vendor should also be able to provide two well matched stones with similar proportions, color, and clarity.
Ditto Jonathan. Welcome Bray and thanks for your very kind words!

brayhearts

Rough_Rock

Thanks Jonathan and Lorelei! We started exploring custom when I couldn''t find a three stone setting I liked (three-stone Bostionian setting, low profile, graduated bright-cut bead set diamonds half down shank and micro pave on the basket.) It never occurred to me it would be structurally stronger (duh me!) We were fine with the setting price the local jewelers quoted us, but I was a nervous wreck worrying if they would communicate my design accurately. So we are going to meet with two different jewelers this week that have in-house designers, so I''ll let you know how it goes! This is such an exciting and fun process, but I’ve got to keep reminding myself to be patient, b/c custom takes time (the only reason I’d thought about stock is for instant gratification, which is a stupid reason.) I told the BF that I have ants in my pants and am ready to be engaged, he said “well you better get your Raid out and start spraying!” Thanks again guys, y’all are awesome!

-Bray

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2009 11:15:32 AM
Author: brayhearts

Thanks Jonathan and Lorelei! We started exploring custom when I couldn't find a three stone setting I liked (three-stone Bostionian setting, low profile, graduated bright-cut bead set diamonds half down shank and micro pave on the basket.) It never occurred to me it would be structurally stronger (duh me!) We were fine with the setting price the local jewelers quoted us, but I was a nervous wreck worrying if they would communicate my design accurately. So we are going to meet with two different jewelers this week that have in-house designers, so I'll let you know how it goes! This is such an exciting and fun process, but I’ve got to keep reminding myself to be patient, b/c custom takes time (the only reason I’d thought about stock is for instant gratification, which is a stupid reason.) I told the BF that I have ants in my pants and am ready to be engaged, he said “well you better get your Raid out and start spraying!” Thanks again guys, y’all are awesome!

-Bray

LOL!! I must remember that one!
9.gif
Please keep us posted on progress, it may take more time but it will be worth it when you have your sparkling ring on your finger!!!

And that is so kind of you, it is nice to be appreciated!

ajourklaus

Rough_Rock
Hi Bray,
I love three stone rings.

If possible try to find a jeweler that uses CAD assisted design. You will be able to see and critique the finished piece before it exists; it is amazing. A very helpful and clarifying technique it does take the mystery out of the one of a kind process.
If the jeweler knows what he is doing you will get exactly what you see in the photo rendered picture. Make sure you check finished jewelry pieces from previous projects to avoid surprises.
CAD/CAM is only as good as the last link on the bench. The jewelry still has to made, brought to life by a very qualified goldsmith. Machines are only so good!

I find that a custom design created with the customer is a very satisfactory process for all sides involved. Team work is the key. It''s fun!

Wish you good luck,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results