shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on Round Cut Engagement Ring Purchase

TheDeacon00

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Been reading many posts over the past couple of weeks to learn and get ideas and I think it's time I reach out for my own advice. I have a habit of delaying big purchases because I always want to get the most for my money. A know a nice engagement ring is important to my girlfriend so I want to get best my budget can afford.

To the details now:

Cost: I'm looking to spend up to around $8000 between the stone and setting. She wants a simple gold solitaire setting so I expect to put most of my money towards the stone.

Cut: Round

Setting: Thin gold band

Example I put together on James Allen:

$7600
Band: 14K YELLOW GOLD 2MM COMFORT FIT SOLITAIRE ENGAGEMENT RING / SKU: 17043Y14 - $420
Diamond: 1.11 CARAT G-VS1 EXCELLENT CUT ROUND DIAMOND / SKU: 768156 $7,180

The larger the karats on the stone the better but as I understand the cut of the diamond is most important. I want this stone to shine! I know she will look for inclusions in the stone (she reminds how she found one in her sisters) so no inclusions to the eye is an absolute must.

Is my example above what I should expect in my price range? Also would like to know what are the best places online to buy a stone that is recommended on this board. A friend of mine bought a ring in NYC and recommended I go to a person they know but I don't want to make a trip to the city only to find out I could just get a good deal online. Any advice related on how and where to shop is greatly appreciated.

Thank you to anyone who can provide me their two cents.

TheDeacon00

Rough_Rock
Thank you. I did not know about this tool. I will definitely use this when evaluating any purchase i make.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
$7180 is a great price for a 1.1 carat G, VS1. It is however discounted because it has strong blue fluorescence. You can decide how you feel (or how you think your intended will feel) about strong blue fluorescence. Under certain lighting it will take a bluish tint. Blue fluorescence can also have a hazy or milky effect on a diamond so if you do go with one, make sure through the vendor that they personally check it to assure it does not have that effect. Aside from fluorescence, I would not recommend that diamond. The crown angle is high and it's paired with a steep pavilion angle and I think with your budget you can do much better, especially if sparkle and cut are priorities. Here are some parameters to help you vet round brilliant diamonds.

Table: 55-58%
Depth: 59-62.4
Crown angle: 34-35 (can maybe go to 35.5)
Pavilion angle: 40.6-41

Here's a couple diamonds in budget for you that will be absolutely stunning. Brian Gavin has a "Blue" collection that he has personally checked to make sure there is no negative effect of the fluorescence. They are an awesome value. Do a search on PS and you will see some perfect examples of how beautiful these stones are.

P.S. What clarity were your GF's sister's diamonds? Were they more like SI clarity?? It would be very hard to see any inclusions in a VS2 diamond. I would stick with VS2 or VS1 if clarity is important to you but you want to maximize size.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.078-g-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104081959026

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.000-h-vs1-round-diamond-ags-bl-104081043001

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/four-prong-solitaire-14k-yellow-gold-5342y14

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/six-prong-solitaire-14k-yellow-gold-5351y14

TheDeacon00

Rough_Rock
JDDN thank you for all the information. I never even heard of Brian Gavin and the "Blue" line until you mentioned it and it appears like they sell some great diamonds. I will be using the parameters you provided me a guide as I was not as familiar to what are "ideal" parameters to use when comparing.

Really like the examples you sent me from Brian Gavin. Did you buy a diamond here yourself? I also heard good things about Whiteflash.com and was wondering what you thought of their selection and prices? It seems like I will go with one of the two sites for my purchase.

The below two seem pretty but the second is almost $1000 cheaper. Curious on your take?

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.078-g-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104081959026

1.038 ct H SI1 A CUT ABOVE® Hearts and Arrows Super Ideal Round Cut Loose Diamond
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3471322.htm

P.S. not really sure on the exact details of her sisters ring I just remember her mentioning it to me a couple of times.

Thanks again!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there, yes I have a diamond from BGD and it's a stunner. Sparkles all the time :bigsmile: .

Whiteflash is a great option as well. I didn't find anything in the VS clarity in your budget so that's why I went to BGD Blue stones. The WF stone you posted has nice cut proportions as will all ACA stones, but it is not eye-clean (and thus why it's $1000 cheaper). If it's eye clean it will say at the top next to the AGS certified logo. You have to be careful with SI1 clarity and below stones as often the inclusions will be visible with the naked eye. SI1 stones can be a great value because you can find ones that from a certain distance (defined by the vendor) the inclusions will not be visible. For example, you can ask WF how they define eye clean. Ie, from 12 inches you cannot see any inclusions, but closer than 12 inches you can. You mentioned your GF was able to find inclusions in her sister's ring, so she may be able to view inclusions in an SI1 diamond. Depending on where your priorities are, you can go larger with a lower clarity or smaller with a higher clarity. I do like the BGD Blue stones in your budget though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results