shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on reselling a wedding dress (after changing my mind)

wwmd8118

Shiny_Rock
Need some advice about a situation I got myself into: I went to Kleinfeld's sample sale in August, and it was my first time ever trying on dresses. Well, I ended up buying a beautiful sample gown that I loved and was in excellent condition and severely discounted. However, after looking around some more and trying on other gowns, I realized that I was more enamored by the beauty of this dress than the fact that it was actually the dress for me (I actually found another dress last weekend that I feel is MY dress). So, does anyone have any suggestions on how/where to resell a wedding gown? I've listed it on oncewed.com and recycledbride.com but haven't had any hits yet. I'm looking into bridal consignment, but they take 50% of the selling price, so I will lose a significant amount on that. Any thoughts??

mogster

Shiny_Rock
Re: Advice on reselling a wedding dress (after changing my m

How about Craigslist? I've gone to try on a dress that I found on Craigslist before. There are inherent risks, but if you make a sale, you won't have to ship anything or pay fees.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock

Amzizzle

Shiny_Rock

I had the same situation that you did. I found a beautiful dress on a sample sale, that just didnt turn out to be what I wanted. I did however have great success selling it on preownedweddingdresses.com. I think it took maybe two weeks to sell. I only lost about $50 on it.

I suggest going that route,because people on there are serious about buying a dress unlike ebay or craigslist. Oh and it was really easy to ship too.good luck!

wwmd8118

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for the advice, ladies. I haven't put it on preownedweddingdresses.com yet because they charge a fee and I just wanted to see on the free ones first. But now that I know that you had luck, Amzizzle, that is the motivation I need. Just curious - was yours a well-known, popular style? I'm finding that there isn't a ton out there about this style on other sites so it concerns me that it's not too trendy right now, although it is absolutely beautiful. I've been told by the bridal consignment store that that may be because it is more of a ball gown and people are looking for more fitted dresses, for the most part, right now.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock

how about http://www.oncewed.com ? I bought my dress off there~

Amzizzle

Shiny_Rock

I wouldn't say mine was wildly popular. It was A-line,champagne colored, and a Jim Hjelm. So popular designer, but the dress itself probably not.

wwmd8118

Shiny_Rock

Amzizzle - That makes me feel better. Mine is Augusta Jones, which isn't as well known as Jim Hjelm, but still a well-known quality designer, and it's a slim ball gown (almost more of an A-line). The consignment shop told me that most people are looking for more fitted gowns so it may take some time, so it's nice to hear you had luck. I'm not in a rush to sell it so I'm just going to put it out there and hope that at some point, it is the dress for someone!

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Just want to say if all else fails you can donate your dress to Brides for Breast Cancer. At least that way you get a tax write off. Goodluck selling your gown!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

I am even in a worse situation - I ended up buying 4 wedding gowns! I still have to sell a Pronovias, Melissa Sweet and Jasmine gown - it isn't easy selling a gown. I was going to re-sell my actual wedding gown but my hubby doesn't want me to and my mom thinks I should keep it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I bought 6 of them Charmy. I still have 4 of them. Two I'm going to list for sale on Monday. One on ebay the other on one of the websites listed here (very different price points). Of the other 4 one I wore. And the other I'm planning on donating.

Oy.

wwmd8118

Shiny_Rock

Wow! How did you ladies end up with that many dresses? Did you just keep changing your mind? I am clearly in no place to judge - I'm just curious....and I need to reign myself in so I don't end up with any more dresses! :twirl: I'm trying to take my time with buying the second (final) one because I don't trust my judgment now. I really thought the first dress was the one, but I had never tried on dresses. Then I realized a completely different shape than I expected was actually best for my figure. Oy. Sending dust your way to help with the selling process!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock

Do you think you could ask for an exception from Ella and possibly list your gowns in the pre-loved jewels section, as well? Good luck, all you multi-dress ladies!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results