shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on Radiant SARIN/ASET/IS images

noah35

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I'm so glad I found this forum! So full of information and lots of people with plenty of knowledge! It's fantastic to see!

I have a radiant diamond that I'm thinking of purchasing from whiteflash and just wondering what everyone's expert opinion is. I've never bought a diamond before so I wouldn't know what it would look like in person just from seeing ASET and IS images. I've attached all the images below.

I've done quite a bit of research, but still not enough to determine if this radiant cut has good proportion based on the SARIN results. What does everyone think? Also, it seems that it's not a perfect rectangle shape, almost trapezoidal.

Also, I understand that on an IS image, white represents no light return and the same for black parts on an ASET image. I can see some of this on the edges of the table and also on the corners, but just wondering if this is enough to warrant an "I don't want to buy this" statement. I guess it is personal preference, but I'd like to get the general consensus from all.

Will this diamond shine enough and bring about a lot of brilliance? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Also, one last question, if you were going to buy it, how much would you pay for it?

Kind regards,

noah35.

Sarin_GIA2111386948.jpg

IS_GIA2111386948.jpg

AST_GIA2111386948.jpg

DI40X_GIA2111386948.jpg

noah35

Rough_Rock
This is the other image that was given to me:

DI40XG_GIA2111386948.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yeah the shape looks wonky to me?? I would keep looking...it is hard to find a good radiant though.

E B

Ideal_Rock
It is a weird shape and the ASET is....I think you could do better. I'd keep looking too. Can we help you? What budget are wanting to stay within?

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
looking at the straight-on image of the actual stone, it looks like corners on the R side of the stone are different than the ones on the left side, making the R edge of the octagon shorter than the left side. Does that make sense? It would drive me nuts I think...

noah35

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies guys. I agree the shape is really weird and wonky. And I'm not terribly impressed with the ASET and IS images either. Yeah the shape is already driving me insane... I don't know why they would try to sell this to me!

I'll definitely keep looking.

EB, yes I would love to get some help. Going to whiteflash, I had already done some research and found what I believe where the ideal proportion cut numbers for a radiant cut diamond. Here are the numbers I concluded with:

Table: 60-65%
Depth: 60-65% (needs to be bigger than the table apparently)
Crown height: 10-15%
Length/width ratio: 1.2 - 1.3

Would you agree with these numbers for an ideal radiant, which would have the maximum brilliance? If not, then what would your ideal cut proportions be? Or if anyone else has their own opinions, I would really appreciate if you could share them :)

Anyway, I approached whiteflash with those requests and they came back with the diamond you see above. I also wanted at least 0.75 carats but nothing above 1 carat, a D-F colour, and at least a VS1. The budget I'm trying to stay within is $3500.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

noah35.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What exactly do you like about the radiant? What do you want to see?

Radiants are - well, all over the place, to say the least. Then if you're looking for something more precise there are all sorts of radiant-ish cushions and princesses... we can help you better if we know what "look" you're going for. Do you have any pics of stones you like the look of?

Try www.goodoldgold.com and www.jamesallen.com for pics of tons of stones, that might help us get started :))

noah35

Rough_Rock
Thank you Yssie and slg47 for your input. I had a look at those diamonds slg47 and they're not too bad. The table and depth percentages are a little too big for my liking... I was looking at around 60-65% and maybe even just a little above. I really appreciate you searching for this though! Please if you find some others, let me know :)

Yssie, the kind of radiant diamond I'm looking for is just something with an excellent ASET and IS image. Something perhaps along the lines of this http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7899/. But of course I would like a rectangular one instead. The reason I like the radiant is because my girlfriend prefers the rectangle shape over the round brilliant shape. But I wanted to incorporate the brilliance of a round and the cut of a princess, which I believe I would be able to find in a radiant. I want to see brilliance and fire, and I believe getting good ASET and IS results is the way to go, as well the right proportions. This is the kind of ring I want to make for her: http://www.classa.com.au/images/gallery/ring-image-27.jpg,, the left one, but probably without the trapezoids flanking the center stone. I don't have any pictures of stones I'm looking for because I'm just looking for something that will sparkle a lot and performs well you know.

I'll definitely have a look at jamesallen and speak to someone there that can also help me.

Please keep coming with all your expert advice. The more information I have, the better :)

Thank you!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
If you want the optics of a round but in a square shape, I would suggest the princess of hearts cut at GOG. they are not rectangular but will have superior optics.

here is a video showing one
http://vimeo.com/6835376

other options are the jubilee cut at GOG or the quadex cut at BGD.

you could also ask GOG to find you a radiant in your budget/specs

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
Also when you are looking for fancy shapes not to say the numbers aren't as important but your eyes have to be the judge. You could find radiants that have the exact numbers that you are looking for and be a total dog. I think some of the most beautiful princess cuts a lot of times fall outside the "ideal" number range. I think slg47 posted some nice options. I would also contact GOG.

noah35

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm actually leaning towards getting a Princess of Hearts now, or a Jubilee.

One burning question I have though is, why are they so much more expensive that say radiants with a colour D and clarity of VVS1? Most of PoH diamonds are I/SI1... how can that be? The radiant diamond in my first post is going for $3500! Whereas PoH of similar carat is going for so much more! Why is that? Is that justifiable?

E B

Ideal_Rock
I see Jon answered your question about price in the other thread, but I wanted to link to these three in case you hadn't seen them. GOG can provide all info for you:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/B2206-81/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/N2K-S36-64/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/B2206-C-10A/

I know you were originally looking for D-F, but G is just one color grade 'lower' and most consider it to be plenty white. H color, too, but I don't know if it falls too outside your comfort zone. If they're eye-clean, these could be great options.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results