shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on not so perfect diamond

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
7.32 - 7.35 x 4.39 mm

There is a crystal on the table, but it doesn't look black. What are the bubble like things on the back of the diamond? Would this be eye clean?

Scores a 1 on HCA EX EX EX EX

Screenshot_20200112_122201.png Screenshot_20200112_122026.png side.png Screenshot_20200112_122317.png Screenshot_20200112_122344.png Screenshot_20200112_122331.png

Screenshot_20200112_122434.png Screenshot_20200112_122516.png

mission1

Shiny_Rock
I think the “bubble like things on the back” are probably multiple facet reflections of the same crystal inclusion. It looks like a clear crystal so may be eye clean - you'd need to double check with the vendor.

The crown and pavillion angles of 33/40.8 aren't usually massively complimentary (33 crown angle is a bit shallow), but it's almost what's called a 60/60 diamond and I think I remember reading that the combo might work better in this. There'll be someone along with much more knowledge than me before long to correct me though!

Last edited:

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
I think the “bubble like things on the back” are probably multiple facet reflections of the same crystal inclusion. It looks like a clear crystal so may be eye clean - you'd need to double check with the vendor.

The crown and pavillion angles of 33/40.8 aren't usually massively complimentary (33 crown angle is a bit shallow), but it's almost what's called a 60/60 diamond and I think I remember reading that the combo might work better in this. There'll be someone along with much more knowledge than me before long to correct me though!

I'm comparing this to approx a 6.8 mm RB. The price difference would be around $1500. This stone being more. The clarity on the smaller stone is two grades higher. Is it worth it for a larger stone?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mean this respectfully @TheLady but I think you would find some peace and sanity in your search if you would sit down and really prioritize what is important to you.

From your other thread you've bounced between 60/60's and Tolk style stones. From 1-1.20 carats. From VS2 to VVS2. Rejected SI1 that was otherwise a brilliant fit. Your last response was you were concerned about color being too tinted in an I stone. And budget has previously been around $6k, but sounds like this last stone may be pushing you to $7,500 -- is that right?

I certainly don't mind to comment on various stones, but I am confused how I can best help you reach a decision point. Maybe prioritizing the 5 C's (cost, carat weight, color, clarity & cut) in order of 1-5 will provide that clarity.

Until I saw your last post on color in the other thread, I was going to suggest this as an alternate. Seems to fit all your criteria but may be too warm for you. The advantage is you get to 1.40 carats, maintain VS1 clarity and still stay within budget. Best part is if the K is too warm, then you could slowly trade up to a better color as funds allow as WF trade program is fantastic (simply spend $1 more and get full credit for a new stone).

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
I mean this respectfully @TheLady but I think you would find some peace and sanity in your search if you would sit down and really prioritize what is important to you.

From your other thread you've bounced between 60/60's and Tolk style stones. From 1-1.20 carats. From VS2 to VVS2. Rejected SI1 that was otherwise a brilliant fit. Your last response was you were concerned about color being too tinted in an I stone. And budget has previously been around $6k, but sounds like this last stone may be pushing you to $7,500 -- is that right?

I certainly don't mind to comment on various stones, but I am confused how I can best help you reach a decision point. Maybe prioritizing the 5 C's (cost, carat weight, color, clarity & cut) in order of 1-5 will provide that clarity.

Until I saw your last post on color in the other thread, I was going to suggest this as an alternate. Seems to fit all your criteria but may be too warm for you. The advantage is you get to 1.40 carats, maintain VS1 clarity and still stay within budget. Best part is if the K is too warm, then you could slowly trade up to a better color as funds allow as WF trade program is fantastic (simply spend $1 more and get full credit for a new stone).

I realize I'm all over the place. To put it simply I want a sparkly, non yellow Stone. I is the most color I dare go with. I was concerned about the color in that particular VVS2 in the other thread. I came across this stone and it seems like a pretty good deal. My boyfriend said we could bump the budget up a little if I wanted a larger stone. My question is still..is it worth it? Increase in size vs clarity vs cost increase.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is nothing wrong with this stone, it is a beautifully cut 60/60 stone. If the price is right, I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase.

mission1

Shiny_Rock
Looks nice in the BN video, and eyeclean with a small clear crystal. VS2 should be fine.

Perhaps worth researching a bit more online to confirm you want a 60/60?

You’d have to take a bit of a punt on whether it’s a high or low colour within the I banding, but you could return it if you didn’t like it. I recently did this with an I colour diamond from BN and am in the process of returning it, as it was a bit too tinted to my eye. If you’re worried about it, you may be better to limit to H.

Last edited:

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
You only need to spend $1 more with WF's upgrade program? I'll never be able to upgrade after this with BN cause it's double

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
Are the reflections of the crystal noticable when a stone is set like they are in the pictures? This is the first stone I've seen like this in the videos.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You only need to spend $1 more with WF's upgrade program? I'll never be able to upgrade after this with BN cause it's double

Yup, that's one of the reasons ppl love WF So much!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, for the spread you are getting, that stone is going to be hard to beat. It has a good ASET and should perform nicely for a 60/60 style stone. So you are getting a good bang for the buck.

The problem being I just don't think you are sold on the color and/or clarity.

Looking around tonight, here are some alternate suggestions. None from WF unfortunately, so you won't get that killer upgrade policy but all with great proportions, minimum 1.20 carats and a boost in color. And all show promising ideal proportions which means sparkly!

GIA XXX 1.30 H VVS2 @ $7,709 wire

55 table, 62 depth, 35 crown, 40.6 pavilion & 80 LGF

Great size. Love the proportions. Should produce some nice big bold rainbow flashes. Great size, a color improvement and VVS clarity.

Capture130HVVS2.PNG

GIA XXX 1.20 H VVS2 @ $7,768 wire

56 table, 61.1 depth, 34.5 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 75 LGF

The proportions don't get much sweeter -- highly sought after Tolk 34.5/40.8 combo. Needless to say, very promising. Again, better color and awesome clarity. Not quite as large as the 1.30 above, but still respectable at 6.90mm.

If you go this route, definitely ask for a video and images.

Notice it's available at two different vendors? Play them against each other for the best price, etc.

Capture120HVVS2.PNG

GIA XXX 1.24 G VS2 @ $7,595 wire

57 table, 61.6 depth, 34.5 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 75 LGF

More dreamy proportions. And this one also has an ASET and H&A images to review. There is some manipulation around the girdle, which is the extra green on the ASET edges. And while this isn't a perfect H&A stone, it's very respectable and has good symmetry overall.

The nice thing here is the 6.90mm size and G color. This one is VS2 clarity and has a black crystal on the table, but I think it will be eye clean when you aren't looking at magnified images. Definitely have Yadav verify for you.

Capture124GVS2.PNG

GIA XXX 1.22 F VS2 @ $6,858 wire

56 table, 61.9 depth, 35 crown, 40.6 pavilion & 80 LGF

Again, fantastic proportions, that shows promise of being a complete sparkle bomb. Also, did you notice the F color? It's so white. Size is just a hair smaller than some of the others at 6.85mm. But that color.

Also, when you look at the cert....take a breath. Those twinning whisps look ugly in red. However, in reality, look at the stone. They are very hard to see, even in magnified video. When viewing with the naked eye, those babies go away. This is a very clean stone.

My only potential concern is the medium blue fluor. My wife's own stone has MBF so it doesn't scare me, but you always need to check to make sure it doesn't have a hazy, cloudy or milky look as a result. The video doesn't indicate it will, but it needs to be examined under direct and indirect sunlight and tilted at various angles. I suspect it'll be okay, but I believe in being cautious during the vetting process so you aren't disappointed later.

Capture122FVS2.PNG

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just a bit of advise from my experience.
When you reach the point that you dont know which way to go is not the time to keep getting more options it is the time to slow down relax think about it and then come back at it.
Maybe one of the ones you already found is it, maybe not but letting it get frustrating is not helpful to you.
The awesome folks here will be here to help when your ready.

Last edited:

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
@sledge So many goodies to look at! I did receive two of the stones from my other thread. I'm okay with the color after seeing them in real life. My studs are an I so I thought I would be. Those JA videos tho...things look very yellow. I also have the 60/60 in this thread ordered. My concern with this one is if I will see the crystal. The vendor told me it was eye clean.

@Karl_K Good advice. I did end the search and just ordered a few I was looking at. I really need to see them in front of me.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge So many goodies to look at! I did receive two of the stones from my other thread. I'm okay with the color after seeing them in real life. My studs are an I so I thought I would be. Those JA videos tho...things look very yellow. I also have the 60/60 in this thread ordered. My concern with this one is if I will see the crystal. The vendor told me it was eye clean.

@Karl_K Good advice. I did end the search and just ordered a few I was looking at. I really need to see them in front of me.

You won’t see the crystal, at least not in a “disturbing-to-the-eye” way.

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
Just out of curiosity. Why are the images bad on this diamond? Is it the crown and pavilion? Scored a 2.6 on HCA. Is there as much leakage as it looks like around the center? Also, different vendors sell this stone and the first stone I posted in this thread. The first stone I was told by some it was eye clean and by others it was not. The same with this stone.

http://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamonds/videos/8187822

Stock # 17718919 - ASET Image.jpg Stock # 17718919 - Ideal Scope Image.jpg Stock # 17718919 - Arrows Image.jpg Stock # 17718919 - Hearts Image.jpg

Last edited:

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
@sledge Received images from one of your recommendations. What do you think? 17770892(4).jpg 17770892(3).jpg 17770892(1).jpg 17770892.jpg .

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nice posts @sledge and those images are fantastic.

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
She has arrived! As soon as I opened the box I knew I loved her. The JA IVVS2 from the other thread doesn't stand a chance. I don't know if it's the color upgrade or the better cut. This HVVS2 (thank you @sledge ) is brighter, has more sparkle and fire. I don't know if I notice a color difference between the I and the H, but the H is brighter. Wow. Beautiful! I wasn't sure how I would feel about the small table (55%), but she is so sparkly I don't notice.

The faint fluorescents wouldn't cause the diamond to be blue at all? I thought I noticed a bit of blue compared to the IVVS2. Maybe it's just more fire?

Still waiting on the diamond from the beginning of this thread. She is bigger, but less clarity and color. She's really going to have to shine to beat this one.

KLE

Shiny_Rock
Yes, need pictures!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She has arrived! As soon as I opened the box I knew I loved her. The JA IVVS2 from the other thread doesn't stand a chance. I don't know if it's the color upgrade or the better cut. This HVVS2 (thank you @sledge ) is brighter, has more sparkle and fire. I don't know if I notice a color difference between the I and the H, but the H is brighter. Wow. Beautiful! I wasn't sure how I would feel about the small table (55%), but she is so sparkly I don't notice.

The faint fluorescents wouldn't cause the diamond to be blue at all? I thought I noticed a bit of blue compared to the IVVS2. Maybe it's just more fire?

Still waiting on the diamond from the beginning of this thread. She is bigger, but less clarity and color. She's really going to have to shine to beat this one.

Woohoo, glad to hear this!

I suspect part of the brightness you see is the fact it's a better cut stone so you are getting edge to edge light return, which can make a stone look bigger and brighter.

For those following along, am I correct to state the images you provided in post #18 goes with the 1.30 H VVS2 stone I linked in post #12?

If so, the images look great. Not a perfect H&A stone, but better than 99% of stones out there. And the proportions work really well together to provide a firey stone. That small 55 table combined with a 35/40.6 combo will produce lots of fire!

To me, it sounds like you prefer this Tolk style of cut vs the 60/60 style.

Lastly, the faint fluor shouldn't produce any blue tint, even in direct sunlight which is where UV will be the strongest. If you aren't aware, GIA grades fluor as:

1. None
2. Faint
3. Medium
4. Strong
5. Very Strong

You may get some effects starting at medium, but most are found in the strong+ levels.

Can't wait to see some pics!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fluorescence can activate under a gel nail lamp (if uv). Pretty neat! And yes please show us the H!!

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
Correct, it is the 1.3 HVVS2.

Well today I received the first stone in this thread. More of a 60/60. I ordered this one in a setting. My main concern was the crystal...I do not see it. Comparing the two stones I'm not noticing much difference. Under direct light the H does have more fire, but the 60/60 isn't bad. I'm trying to figure out if the 60/60 looks dark...as the HCA said it might. What is the best lighting to test this?

I can not get a good picture with this phone ...

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
Fluorescence can activate under a gel nail lamp (if uv). Pretty neat! And yes please show us the H!!

It turned light blue. The other stone I have looks kinda purple under the purple uv.

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
It turned light blue. The other stone I have looks kinda purple under the purple uv.

Maybe I'm doing this wrong. I used a gel nail lamp. After making the stone turn an almost aqua color. I googled fluorencents and to me the color looks closer to strong than faint.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe I'm doing this wrong. I used a gel nail lamp. After making the stone turn an almost aqua color. I googled fluorencents and to me the color looks closer to strong than faint.

I'm not sure the exact specifics of the gel nail lamp. But the UV output matters greatly. You need at least 365nm although some lamps may produce stronger UV radiation of 385nm or 400nm. The stronger the UV output the more the stone will flourescence. Even things like having a 365 output but holding the stone 6" away vs 18" away would change the strength and effects.

Here is a GIA image of different flour levels:

1579844059135.png

In another thread here, it was pointed out that camera settings can greatly affect the images we view online. For instance, below are two images, both of the same diamonds but the lower one has a greater aperture and notice how much more white "noise" is introduced.

1579844199074.png

1579844219939.png

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
Poor attempt at pictures. The HVVS2 is in the holder and the 60/60 IVS2 is in the setting. 24157.jpeg 24159.jpeg 24161.jpeg 24165.jpeg 24167.jpeg

mission1

Shiny_Rock
H-VVS2 based on those pics, but it’s hard to say based on pics!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results