shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on Microsetting halo for a pear.......firegoddess?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Continuing from my other thread. I am going to get my pear set like Katherine Heigl''s. I would really like to set it like firegoddess but wanted diamonds on the profile of the halo....

So here''s what the vendor has suggested.

I don''t want platinium so its White gold - either 14k or 18k. My question is which is the better please?

I need some help deciphering how big the stones will be. I didn''t have time to ask the vendor. There will be 30 stones in the halo approx 1.1mm wide and 30 stones in the shank 1.5mm wide.

So are all these measurements going to be wide enough to hold a 3ct+ stone?

There will be no stones on either side of the profile of the shank because I am getting an eternity band and don''t want the stones to rub. The eternity band will have 35 stones and be 1.5mm wide. Don''t know the size of the stones on this either. At this stage they will be set the same as the shank, pave. The 35 stones is a mistake as the vendor emailed me telling me the eternity ring will only be 3/4 way round but I would like it all the way round so there may be more stones.

Is it important for the ering to match the eternity in style. My current setting for my stone is similar to the 1 above but I wear a full .10pter shared prong eternity. I would like something a little more delicate this time. I would like a .05 shared prong eternity but am fearful it won''t go. I want the two rings to look like a set and not have the eternity look like an afterthought. The eternity will have no stones on either sides of the profile. Is there any point to putting stones on the profile of the eternity. I may wear the eternity by itself on some days.

All this on a ring size of 4.25.

Thanks for all your advice

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone have any ideas/ pictures of an eternity ring that would go with the ering please.

Thanks

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure about the measurements of your halo stones. I think Jasmine''s beautiful e/w marquise has 1.1mm and 1.5mm melee. She could tell you more than I could, but I think the 1.1mm diamonds are on the profile of the halo.

As far as an eternity band goes, I would have the vendor make you a matching eternity band. I plan on having my engagement ring vendor make my wedding band when the time comes. It sounds like you want it to match exactly so I think having the same vendor make it will be your best bet.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi sparkles. So are you getting the pear you posted? It''s gorgeous!
30.gif

No offense, but I couldn''t picture what you''re talking about regarding the setting. Would you be able to post some pictures of the setting you are considering? If you go custom, I would imagine the jeweler can make an eternity band to match.

Why no platinum?? The problem for me with white gold is that it turns color and needs to be re-rhodium plated regularly. Gold is a yellow metal, so it''s the alloys that make it appear white. Over time, that yellowish color shows through - I think the timeframe depends on your body chemistry. For me, I have an 18K WG ring that turned brownish yellow on the shank near my palm within 6 months. So it''s off for rhodium-plating again. Do you really want to go through this?

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I liked Jasmine''s setting for her marquise. I was thinking not to get the shank 3 sided as it would rub on the eternity band. I have just read that she purchased a shared prong eternity band so that seriously throws a spanner in the works in terms of the necessity to match ering and eternity styles. The vendor was saying something about pave eternity but I don''t know if they mean pave as in pave or pave as in bead set like Jasmine''s ering. I''m confused. Could I do a ritani head or would I need extra support bars under the halo.

I remember Firegoddess saying she wanted an open halo, then knocking it, bending it and subsequently putting an extra support bar at either end of the halo. I wonder how that has affected her stone in terms of perceived light return.

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
There are 2 choices.

Sorry for borrowing this picture...I can''t remember whose it is to give credit to a beautiful ring....

pearsetting2.JPG

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
#2. Just realised I could be against copyright....If I am can someone moderator remove the image please.

pearsetting3.JPG

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry - was moving and haven't logged on for a few days. Just saw this now.

The jeweler said my melee is 2 pointers. Sometimes I wonder whether they're really 1. My shank is 1.8 mm or so which is why I really question whether the stones could be 1 pointers, not 2. If you're getting a 1.5 mm shank with that 3 ct ring, get support bars for the head.

The support bars that were added to my ring didn't do much if anything to the perceived light return...I definitely recommend them - the pear is kinda too elongated to just have the open halo without the support bars...and your prospective stone is twice as big as mine!

I think the main diff between K. Heigl's ring and mine is the diamonds on the profile of the halo. As for whether you go w/ 14k or 18k, probably either is fine. I might go for the 18k if it were me.

ETA: as for putting stones on the sides of the bands...if you want to wear them separately some days (and I do) - I probably wouldn't, because 1 side will always be plain, right? I wouldn't put diamonds against diamonds and do 3 sided bands for both.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would do 14k. It is harder and I am not a purist. I don''t care *what* the metal is as long as it does its job well and looks pretty :)

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Any preferences on settings # 1 Or #2 or a hybrid of both?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 9:05:54 AM
Author: sparkles
Any preferences on settings # 1 Or #2 or a hybrid of both?
well... #1 is rows of beadset and #2 is pave... the beadset is defined and linear and maybe more sturdy? the pave is going to give a more all over sparkle but perhaps be more delicate? I don''t know about the sturdiness of it... but I imagine it would be a more delicate setting. I guess I''d probably go with #1. I love firegoddess'' current ring but I''m one of the few who liked her old ring maybe a bit more. I love the delicate look of her current ring but it looks so fragile! Having a very sturdy ring for every day always makes something look even better to me LOL

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
#1. (The second one looks way too delicate in terms of potential stones popping out. You'd have to get a good craftsman to do that ring, and I'd still be careful with it - waayyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than I'd be careful with mine.)

As for 14K being harder than 18K, yes, but I have the ring in platinum so I don't think the 14K vs 18K is that big a deal hardness-wise.

ScubaStog

Rough_Rock
what was the ultimate decision? don''t forget to post pics, and let us know what you''re doing about the wedding band...

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi sparkles, 3 ct pear in a halo setting on 4.5 finger - you will not see anything else from the top, not shank nor band.
So on one hand (from the top) you don't need any decorations but structural support and safety but on another hand (side view) 3-sided pave is what'll be pleasing to your eyes the most from that angle.

kkb

Rough_Rock
I''m trying to reach Firegoddess with this, so if anyone else knows a better way to reach her (like how to start a forum) please don''t hesitate to fill me in.

I love everything about your ring, Firegoddess, and am hoping to get a similar one, just with a round-cut center stone (probably 1.25-1.5ct). I''m just learning about diamonds, settings, and everything else, and I want to make sure I ask for the right thing when my boyfriend and I go to the jeweler.

I know I want the center stone to be prong set rather than bevel (is that the right word?), which will make it sit up a little. But I don''t want any space in between the center stone and the halo, and I don''t want it to sit too high off the halo. It looks like yours is set that way, and I was wondering if you knew how high off the halo yours sits.

Also, how is your eternity band set? Is that micropave? I know I don''t like channel-set. I love the look of a four-prong shared setting, but I don''t know if you can do that in the width I''d like (1.8mm or smaller). I just like to see the shape of the diamond rather than a metal band around them. I also like to see a little of the diamond from the side too.

Yours seems to be the ring I want. There''s also a Leon Mege cushion-cut halo ring that seems to be what I want too. (here''s the link: http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=286) I know that I like these pictures, and I will definitely take them to the jeweler, but I want to be able to say what I want too, just so there''s no confusion. There are some halos that I really dislike, so I want to make sure I don''t mess up. My boyfriend would kill me.

I would really appreciate your help with this and all the specs you''ve got. Thanks!

kkb

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the link. I''ll go explore ... after all, that''s all I do now that I''m in the market.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/2/2007 9:12:28 PM
Author: kkb
Thanks so much for the link. I''ll go explore ... after all, that''s all I do now that I''m in the market.
Lol! Well I can tell you many of us got hooked once we started looking! Good luck! There are others besides that one, too!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results