shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on first sapphire purchase

yars15

Rough_Rock
So I'm looking to purchase a sapphire engagement ring for my girlfriend and have used this website and the recommended vendor list as a guide for where to look, so thanks everyone that contributed.

I've narrowed down my choices to a few potential stones that I'll have set in a halo setting (yet to be determined as I'm waiting on the center stone purchase). I'm wondering whether you guys can help me narrow down the top three/four out of the listed ones. I intend to purchase my top three and keep the one I like the most, then return the other two. I'd like it to be at least high 0.9x carat and budget is $2K USD.

Any comments, concerns, recommendations would be highly appreciated. I've been looking around for a few weeks now and I'm ready to pull the trigger on one of these! :)

Gemfix #1 - sapphire-blue-11-1341

Gemfix #2 - sapphire-blue-11-1237

Artcutgems # 1 - Sapphire 307

Artcutgems # 2 - Sapphire 308

Gemcal #1

Africagems # 1

Thanks in advance everyone.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
RE: the africagems one, ask for 20% discount, or you can find it at that price thru pearlmans jewelers, but not sure how shipping/returns varies between the two so research that into consideration as well.

it’s kinda hard to not use my own preferences that probably differ from yours - or more importantly of your future bride - so any insight of what she likes?

Congratulations on your future engagement!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I'm going to presume to want to hit at least 6 mm? With coloured stones, dimensions can be all over the place even when all the stones are 1 ct due to cut designs and cut itself.

GFix 1 - love the bright saturated blue.
GFix 2 - This one is deeper and darker. Not my preference but might be someone else's preference.

ACG 1 - FYI 7 x 6 is not a calibrated size so custom will be required.
ACG 2 - Hard to evaluate but I think I might prefer the cushion over the oval. I would contact the vendor and ask for his evaluation and opinion since he has both stones in hand. He might be able to suggest a stone that is closer to what you are looking for.

GC - looks to be a nice stone. Website doesn't say the mm but I guess it'll be close to 6 mm? Website doesn't say what lab determined it to be untreated.

AG - picture shows an amazing colour but would need confirmation if they have other pictures or vids. As you can see, although it is almost 1 ct, it measures 5.6 mm so it is the smallest stone out of all options presented.

So, here's my question to you:

1. Is treatment important? Heat only ok or absolutely no heat? Heat is cheaper and gives a lot more option. Heat is permanent and stable.

2. Go by mm size, and not ct weight. What is the minimum mm size?

3. What is the colour (both of) you want? There's a good variety of blue in your options but I don't know which makes your heart sing. Do you have example pics of the specific blue you want?

Note that each vendor have different light and photographic set up so it makes comparing stones from several vendors very challenging.

yars15

Rough_Rock
Ok, I'm going to presume to want to hit at least 6 mm? With coloured stones, dimensions can be all over the place even when all the stones are 1 ct due to cut designs and cut itself.

GFix 1 - love the bright saturated blue.
GFix 2 - This one is deeper and darker. Not my preference but might be someone else's preference.

ACG 1 - FYI 7 x 6 is not a calibrated size so custom will be required.
ACG 2 - Hard to evaluate but I think I might prefer the cushion over the oval. I would contact the vendor and ask for his evaluation and opinion since he has both stones in hand. He might be able to suggest a stone that is closer to what you are looking for.

GC - looks to be a nice stone. Website doesn't say the mm but I guess it'll be close to 6 mm? Website doesn't say what lab determined it to be untreated.

AG - picture shows an amazing colour but would need confirmation if they have other pictures or vids. As you can see, although it is almost 1 ct, it measures 5.6 mm so it is the smallest stone out of all options presented.

So, here's my question to you:

1. Is treatment important? Heat only ok or absolutely no heat? Heat is cheaper and gives a lot more option. Heat is permanent and stable.

2. Go by mm size, and not ct weight. What is the minimum mm size?

3. What is the colour (both of) you want? There's a good variety of blue in your options but I don't know which makes your heart sing. Do you have example pics of the specific blue you want?

Note that each vendor have different light and photographic set up so it makes comparing stones from several vendors very challenging.

Thanks for taking the time for that write-up.

In regards to your questions:

1. In terms of treatment I'd only be okay with heat treatment, nothing else. I'm leaning towards a heated stone based on it being cheaper, like you said.

2. I'd say 6mm is the minimum size as I'd like to get it set without too much issue. I realize that at my price range I'll be sacrificing quality to get near 6.5mm while still maintaining a good cut/brilliance.

3. In terms of color I'd like something close to what's found in GFix 1 stone (that's currently my favorite of the bunch without additional photos from other vendors). I've asked my gf about the color but she said she doesn't want that much input/wants that part to be a surprise, therefore I'd like to go with the more traditional "ceylon/royal blue" color/hue.

And she prefers a round/oval/cushion cut. I'm leaning towards round but if I can find a good price on either oval/cushion I'd purchase that.

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
Have you considered this other stone from Gemfix? This is "medium dark" instead of "medium" so sits in that ceylon/royal-blue part that you're saying you like. Also a little bigger, which is always nice :)

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gemfix 1 is gorgeous, but it's my preferred color. I really like their videos, too. I'm not a fan of angled videos that leave me wondering. Africa and Pearlmans use Gem2000 as a supplier, so you can go here and look Gem2000 but I don't know if they will be able to get videos.

Gary has a pretty sapphire, but it's over your budget. It wouldn't hurt to ask him if he has anything within your parameters. Finewater

Finally, this website allows you to compare stone sizes and see how they look on a finger that's your fiancee's size. I've found it very helpful! Comparison

yars15

Rough_Rock
I'm leaning towards grabbing those two gems from Gemfix, and awaiting a response from Gemcal & Gem2000 in regards to a few stones I inquired about.

I've also been in contact with Michael from Escobardiamonds who sent me a photo of this oval sapphire in a halo setting with split shank. "The sapphire is 1.64 carats and would be considered a shade off royal blue. The diamonds are G-H color, Vs2 clarity and weigh .47 carats combined total weight. The ring is made in eighteen karat white gold." He's asking $3350 USD. Thoughts on this? It would save me time of getting a separate band and getting the stone set. Though I like the other stones from Gemfix better than this. I've included a video as well.
1.65 Ov.jpg ov saph.jpg

EscobarDiamond-SapphireRing

reirei

Shiny_Rock
I'm leaning towards grabbing those two gems from Gemfix, and awaiting a response from Gemcal & Gem2000 in regards to a few stones I inquired about.

I've also been in contact with Michael from Escobardiamonds who sent me a photo of this oval sapphire in a halo setting with split shank. "The sapphire is 1.64 carats and would be considered a shade off royal blue. The diamonds are G-H color, Vs2 clarity and weigh .47 carats combined total weight. The ring is made in eighteen karat white gold." He's asking $3350 USD. Thoughts on this? It would save me time of getting a separate band and getting the stone set. Though I like the other stones from Gemfix better than this. I've included a video as well.
1.65 Ov.jpg ov saph.jpg

I would go the route of picking the stone first as then you would be sure you got the gem exactly to your liking. Sounds like you’re not 100% on that ring above and personally, it’s not my cup of tea. I really like gem #1 that you picked out because it’s not too dark.

If you’re thinking of a premade ring route, have you considered a vintage / antique ring or does it have to be new?

One of my favorite stores on Etsy is Gold Adore - they have a master gemologist in hand and all their pieces are stunning.

Here’s a 2carat royal blue sapphire with 1.20 carats old mine cuts(!!! It’s a very rare diamond cut hand cut in the 1800s) halo in your price range: https://etsy.me/2Swv4vu

B4619E8E-9504-446F-831C-EFF32976E65D.png

Last edited:

yars15

Rough_Rock
I would go the route of picking the stone first as then you would be sure you got the gem exactly to your liking. Sounds like you’re not 100% on that ring above and personally, it’s not my cup of tea. I really like gem #1 that you picked out because it’s not too dark.

If you’re thinking of a premade ring route, have you considered a vintage / antique ring or does it have to be new?

One of my favorite stores on Etsy is Gold Adore - they have a master gemologist in hand and all their pieces are stunning.

Here’s a 2carat royal blue sapphire with 1.20 carats old mine cuts(!!! It’s a very rare diamond cut hand cut in the 1800s) halo in your price range: https://etsy.me/2Swv4vu

View attachment 764933

My preferred route is grabbing the gem/stone first and then getting the setting. I've continously been asking my gf her preferences and she just now switched to rose gold band :l after wanting a white gold/plat band for a while. She also said either new or vintage/antique ring is fine with her so that opens up some options for me.

I'll check out that Etsy shop Gold Adore, but from first glance that diamond ring you posted is slightly too dark for my/her taste.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

1.65 Ov.jpg ov saph.jpg

I really like this, and think the price is good. However, the tilt window would bother me. But it's a pretty freaking good deal overall.

I don't like the one @reirei posted because it's too dark for my taste.

elizat

Ideal_Rock

1.65 Ov.jpg ov saph.jpg

That's a very fair price. I think it's worth considering. Can you return if you don't love it?

yars15

Rough_Rock
That's a very fair price. I think it's worth considering. Can you return if you don't love it?

After speaking with my gf once more I now know that rose gold is a requirement, and she'd also prefer a daintier single shank band, so although that ring is quite appealing price wise I may have to pass on it. I also asked her to send me a few more style she likes and a common theme is an oval stone, with a halo in a "floral-esque" arrangement. She mentioned round is fine as well, but I can tell an oval stone is what she'd prefer, so I may be back to square one in terms of my search, which kind of stinks as I was planning on pulling the trigger on the two Gemfix round stones.

I found two ovals on Gemfix that I really like and I'm leaning towards the GFix1 option at the moment:

GFix1

GFix2

I've also been in contact with Nafees from Gem Ocean on Instagram and he has a beautiful 2.13 ct ceylon cornflower oval stone that I really like. The price is slightly outside my budget at $2.5K but it's a beautiful unheated stone so I'd consider purchasing it.

GemOcean 2.13ct

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After speaking with my gf once more I now know that rose gold is a requirement, and she'd also prefer a daintier single shank band, so although that ring is quite appealing price wise I may have to pass on it. I also asked her to send me a few more style she likes and a common theme is an oval stone, with a halo in a "floral-esque" arrangement. She mentioned round is fine as well, but I can tell an oval stone is what she'd prefer, so I may be back to square one in terms of my search, which kind of stinks as I was planning on pulling the trigger on the two Gemfix round stones.

I found two ovals on Gemfix that I really like and I'm leaning towards the GFix1 option at the moment:

GFix1

GFix2

I've also been in contact with Nafees from Gem Ocean on Instagram and he has a beautiful 2.13 ct ceylon cornflower oval stone that I really like. The price is slightly outside my budget at $2.5K but it's a beautiful unheated stone so I'd consider purchasing it.

GemOcean 2.13ct

I significantly prefer the first gemfix one compared to the 2nd one. The GemOcean one is also lovely, but my guess is that the setting will cost you some $$ since it's a halo so I wouldn't recommend going over your set budget. Also, there's always a risk of ordering from overseas beause you won't be able to return it easily comapred to gemfix.

yars15

Rough_Rock
I significantly prefer the first gemfix one compared to the 2nd one. The GemOcean one is also lovely, but my guess is that the setting will cost you some $$ since it's a halo so I wouldn't recommend going over your set budget. Also, there's always a risk of ordering from overseas beause you won't be able to return it easily comapred to gemfix.

Thanks for your input lovedogs :). Here are the ones she sent me; they don't have too high of a diamond count on the halo portion, so I think I may be able to find a halo setting at a cheaper price than I originally anticipated while still maintaining that same "look/style" that she likes.

I've also messaged a few other Instagram vendors that will be getting back to me in the next day or so with a few photos.

photo_2020-07-09_13-47-06.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your input lovedogs :). Here are the ones she sent me; they don't have too high of a diamond count on the halo portion, so I think I may be able to find a halo setting at a cheaper price than I originally anticipated while still maintaining that same "look/style" that she likes.

I've also messaged a few other Instagram vendors that will be getting back to me in the next day or so with a few photos.

photo_2020-07-09_13-47-06.jpg

That's good. The setting won't be as expensive as I was expecting due to it being relatively delicate and having relatively low ct weight in the halo. I think these are beautiful.

reirei

Shiny_Rock

GFix1

GFix2

GemOcean 2.13ct

It's great that you got more input from your GF! (Are you sure she doesn't want to pick out the stone with you? Sapphire color is such a personal thing and something you love she may not)

Since rose gold is a requirement, I think you should start looking at medium sapphires as the dark royal blues don't match well with rose gold!

Also great to know that she loves ovals.
Like @lovedogs , I really like GFix1 that you linked and I think it would match really well with rose gold. The second one would not look good with rose gold.

On settings:
Also it's impossible to find antique rings in rose gold - so new or custom would have the be the routes!
For settings, I highly recommend David Klass but any of the PS recommended vendors are great. You can browse his beautiful instagram for setting ideas: https://www.instagram.com/davidklassjewelry/?hl=en

yars15

Rough_Rock
It's great that you got more input from your GF! (Are you sure she doesn't want to pick out the stone with you? Sapphire color is such a personal thing and something you love she may not)

Since rose gold is a requirement, I think you should start looking at medium sapphires as the dark royal blues don't match well with rose gold!

Also great to know that she loves ovals.
Like @lovedogs , I really like GFix1 that you linked and I think it would match really well with rose gold. The second one would not look good with rose gold.

On settings:
Also it's impossible to find antique rings in rose gold - so new or custom would have the be the routes!
For settings, I highly recommend David Klass but any of the PS recommended vendors are great. You can browse his beautiful instagram for setting ideas: https://www.instagram.com/davidklassjewelry/?hl=en

I may ask her again, but she says she'd like to leave part of the ring as a surprise. I'm somewhat worried about this as it's the most important aspect of the ring IMO, so I may just tell her I'm ordering three different stones and she has to choose the one she likes the most. She's a rather particular person so I'd rather have her get something she likes vs getting it set and then being stuck with the stone/setting.

I received some more information on another blue oval from an Instagram vendor and I've included some videos in an Imgur link below. It's a 1.77ct unheated oval sapphire. "The stone has a few feathers and one bubble inclusion but nothing is on the surface and gem is completely eye-clean." It seems to be quite similar in color to the Gfix oval but higher carat weight and at a cheaper price point.

1.77ct Unheated oval sapphire $1250

I'm also waiting on some additional photos from Rick Martin at Artcutgems.

1.43ct unheated oval sapphire $1866

I think I'll probably buy one of these three stones after getting those additional photos. I'd appreciate people's feedback on that 1.77ct oval sapphire as I think it's quite similar to one I posted from Gemfix but at a 25% lower price while being 22% larger in terms of tcw.

1.45ct heated oval sapphire $1695

Last edited:

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The stones you're trying to choose between are very different in color. Regardless of what goes well in rose gold, if she doesn't like the stone color then nothing else matters, especially since she's rather particular.

Due to the cost of the stone and then choosing a setting, you probably should have her choose the stone.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont like the art cut gems one at all. It looks grayish to me. My favorites are the gemfix one and the IG one from your last post (1.77ct). The gemfix is a safer purchase bc your gf can see it and "approve" it, or if she doesnt love it you can return. Returning overseas to IG vendors is a huge hassle

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would knock out the art cut gem as well. There is something going on in it like color zoning which is apparent right in the middle of the table, which means you can't miss it. It would bother me and I would spend all my time trying to wipe it clean, thinking my stone had a smudge on it :lol-2:

reirei

Shiny_Rock
The stones you're trying to choose between are very different in color. Regardless of what goes well in rose gold, if she doesn't like the stone color then nothing else matters, especially since she's rather particular.

Due to the cost of the stone and then choosing a setting, you probably should have her choose the stone.

I agree with @MrsKMB and @lovedogs - I think it's a good idea for her to OK on the stone before you proceed with a setting as she will be the one wearing it and must love it.

The first gemfix option looks great to me and like lovedogs said, you can return it if she doesn't like it. (https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-11-1335)

Did you see this one from litnon?
49697.jpg

Bright & Pretty! Fine Color Ceylon Blue Sapphire 2.26 ct GLI

Gem ID#:11646
Price:1856.00
Origin:Sri Lanka (formerly Ceylon)
Weight:2.26 carats
Size:8.3 x 6.3 x 5.1 mm deep
ClarityVVS Top eye clean gemstone!
Cut:Oval brilliant. Nice cutting NO widow
Color:Medium Sapphire Blue!
Treatment:Assume standard heat. Guaranteed no other treatment of any kind
Note:Bright, clean & natural high quality Ceylon Sapphire with beautiful medium blue color! A very pretty gem with great color and Sparkle!
Brought to you direct from Sri Lanka by Gem Line! Photographed in direct and indirect natural light

Last edited:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm leaning towards grabbing those two gems from Gemfix, and awaiting a response from Gemcal & Gem2000 in regards to a few stones I inquired about. * * *
Just as a fyi: Gem2000 is strictly a wholesaler and sells only to those in the trade, not us consumers. So to get price quotes, you'll need to get in touch with, e.g., Africa Gems, Pearlmans or a local jeweler. Unfortunately,, a lot of Gem2000's stones do not already have a lab report, which is a complicating factor -- but not insurmountable.

yars15

Rough_Rock
I agree with @MrsKMB and @lovedogs - I think it's a good idea for her to OK on the stone before you proceed with a setting as she will be the one wearing it and must love it.

The first gemfix option looks great to me and like lovedogs said, you can return it if she doesn't like it. (https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-11-1335)

Did you see this one from litnon?
49697.jpg

Bright & Pretty! Fine Color Ceylon Blue Sapphire 2.26 ct GLI

Gem ID#:11646
Price:1856.00
Origin:Sri Lanka (formerly Ceylon)
Weight:2.26 carats
Size:8.3 x 6.3 x 5.1 mm deep
ClarityVVS Top eye clean gemstone!
Cut:Oval brilliant. Nice cutting NO widow
Color:Medium Sapphire Blue!
Treatment:Assume standard heat. Guaranteed no other treatment of any kind
Note:Bright, clean & natural high quality Ceylon Sapphire with beautiful medium blue color! A very pretty gem with great color and Sparkle!
Brought to you direct from Sri Lanka by Gem Line! Photographed in direct and indirect natural light

So I purchased two stones, the one from Gemfix and the other from Litnon. Should arrive mid-week so i'll upload some photos, but plan to keep one of the two. I've also been in contact with a vendor (Rosado's Box) on Etsy that can do a custom rose gold piece once they have the exact measurements of the stone.

reirei

Shiny_Rock
So I purchased two stones, the one from Gemfix and the other from Litnon. Should arrive mid-week so i'll upload some photos, but plan to keep one of the two. I've also been in contact with a vendor (Rosado's Box) on Etsy that can do a custom rose gold piece once they have the exact measurements of the stone.

Sounds like a great plan! Are you going to have her approve the stone?

If she doesn't like either stones, I found 3 more potential options for you at AJS Gems.
Note: AJS Gems is based in Thailand so return shipping might be a pain.
They're having a 20% off all gems sale right now (ends July 31).
You'll stay under the 2k budget (except for the last one, which is pricier due to the deeper Ceylon color and being unheated - has GIA report)

Blue Sapphire - 2.31carats: Pretty Cornflower Blue Sapphire:
Size: 7.90 x 5.63 x 5.77 mm
Price (USD): $1,845.00 - .20 percent off sale = $1476

Blue Sapphire - 2.59 carats
A Fine Corn Flower Blue Sapphire
Size: 8.29 x 6.72 x 5.47 mm
Price (USD): $2,550.00 - .20 percent off sale = $2040

Unheated Blue Sapphire - 1.36 carats
This is a Very Special Gem: A Remarkable Unheated Ceylon Blue Sapphire
Size: 6.91 x 5.62 x 4.00 mm
Price (USD): $2,995.00 - .20 percent off sale = $2396

Sending lots of happy magic dust and wishes you and your GF's way!

Last edited:

reirei

Shiny_Rock
@yars15 did you get the stones? What did you end up deciding?

yars15

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. Somewhat late response as I was excited about the engagement. I ended up going with 1.45 ct stone from GemFix, which she liked the best out of the three I showed her. I did not show her the setting before purchasing it. Rosado's box did a great job and had the setting custom made from the stone dimensions in about four weeks. I got it set at a local jeweler here in WNY. Here are the results.

20200716_084009.jpg

20200826_102956.jpg

20200903_184733.jpg

20200905_113028.jpg

20200912_162202.jpg

I wanted to thank everyone for your help in this process. As someone who's very detail oriented and particular I had no idea this would take this long, and your suggestions made choosing a lot easier.

Cheers

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone. Somewhat late response as I was excited about the engagement. I ended up going with 1.45 ct stone from GemFix, which she liked the best out of the three I showed her. I did not show her the setting before purchasing it. Rosado's box did a great job and had the setting custom made from the stone dimensions in about four weeks. I got it set at a local jeweler here in WNY. Here are the results.

20200716_084009.jpg

20200826_102956.jpg

20200903_184733.jpg

20200905_113028.jpg

20200912_162202.jpg

I wanted to thank everyone for your help in this process. As someone who's very detail oriented and particular I had no idea this would take this long, and your suggestions made choosing a lot easier.

Cheers

Congrats, the ring is so beautiful and romantic! I hope you feel a lot of satisfaction in knowing you really created an outstanding engagement ring that you can’t get by walking into a typical jewelry store. And your wife will treasure the fact that you worked so hard, for sure.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for coming back to share your masterpiece. Congrats on the engagement!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results