shape
carat
color
clarity

advice on diamond

mtootell

Rough_Rock
Gday one and all
Looking for an engagement ring for my partner of 7 years, been trying to research and get a gauge on what to look for as far as specifications are concerned to pick a diamond that sparkles! Can someone with a bit more credentials then myself give me some feedback on this diamond. It's HCA is 1.3 however I think it has a couple of blemishes, would this be visible to the naked eye and would it have any detriment to the stone?
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.01-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-988082

SHAPE: Round
CARAT WEIGHT: 1.01
COLOR: I
CLARITY: VS2
CUT: Excellent
POLISH: Excellent
SYMMETRY: Excellent
FLUORESCENCE: None
L/W/D (MM): 6.39*6.41*3.98

L/W RATIO: 1.00
DEPTH %: 62.20
GIRDLE: Medium - Slightly Thick
TABLE %: 56.00
CULET: None
CERTIFICATE: GIA
CROWN ∠: 35.50
CROWN %: 15.50
PAVILION ∠: 40.60

PAVILION %: 42.50

cvu

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I do not have more credentials than you do, but I'll give you what I (think I) know. If GIA gives it a grade of VS2, it is extremely likely (99.9%?) that it is an eye-clean diamond at normal viewing distances. Looking at the magnified images, the inclusions (the twinning wisp being the grade-setting inclusion) are not dark inclusions and they are not immediately apparent in the 20x magnification image to me. I think that you can comfortably bet on this diamond being eye clean. The good news is that JA is pretty good about providing honest feedback on the eye-cleanliness of the diamond and has a comfortable return policy for you to make your own assessment. The only 100% way to ensure eye-cleanliness is to view it for yourself.

As for the proportions of the diamond, it looks like a solid pick to me in that regard. If you're comfortable with it and the price, I would see if you can reserve it, request an Idealscope (or ASET) image to confirm what you think to be true regarding light performance, and move forward from there.

mtootell

Rough_Rock
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.80-carat-i-color-vvs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-939256
This stone i feel is more within my budget! It has a HCA rating of 1.3 and specs are as follows
CARAT WEIGHT: 0.80
COLOR: I
CLARITY: VVS1
L/W/D (MM): 5.93*5.97*3.68

L/W RATIO: 1.01
DEPTH %: 61.90
TABLE %: 56.00
CROWN ∠: 35.50

My only concern is the colour, my partner wants a halo ring, will this show the colour more with other diamonds situated around this stone?
Thanks in advance.

mtootell

Rough_Rock
And on speaking to james allen they don't have an idealscope image on file for this stone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pretty certain that first one is going to be eyeclean.

Can you go up to H color? I in a round isn't going to be bad in a halo. But H would still be better. Drop the clarity to Si1 and go up in color.

mtootell

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply, I have one more to have a look at. Colour G and score still below 2
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.81-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1042827

CARAT WEIGHT: 0.81
COLOR: G
L/W/D (MM): 5.93*5.96*3.68

TABLE %: 57.00
CROWN ∠: 36.00

What are your thoughts?

mtootell

Rough_Rock
I'm really at wits end on trying to find a stone!! Ideally looking to finalise purchase within the next couple of days, any other recommendations would be amazing! Ideally price range for whole ring is around the 8k aussie dollar mark, which is keeping me around the 3500-4500 US for the stone and 2k US for the setting. Please help!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
mtootell|1461128578|4021520 said:
Thanks for your reply, I have one more to have a look at. Colour G and score still below 2
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.81-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1042827

L/W/D (MM): 5.93*5.96*3.68

TABLE %: 57.00
CROWN ∠: 36.00

What are your thoughts?

I like this one. Get an idealscope image with that crown height.

mtootell

Rough_Rock
Yeah I liked this one too, they also said they do not have an idealscope image on it. I pushed for one before it gets put into a setting and they said they might be able to do so but not their normal practice. Is there any other way to get clarity on the stone or is it just a buy and hope and then if needed send it back?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Push on the Idealscope. THey used to do it upon request and they have the technology. Ask to speak to a supervisor if they give you gruff and remind them that you have many vendor options that WILL get you an idealscope image if they do not comply.

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1461134523|4021537 said:
Push on the Idealscope. THey used to do it upon request and they have the technology. Ask to speak to a supervisor if they give you gruff and remind them that you have many vendor options that WILL get you an idealscope image if they do not comply.

Hey mate - just a comment on what Gypsy has said about getting images (and full disclosure I'm in the trade so I can't speak to this particular vendor or stone specifically as they're my competition) - here's a little insight into the world of online diamonds.
One of the problems faced with virtual stock like this stone (meaning it's on the open market) are getting images like aset / ideal scope...especially in sizes under 1ct. Because many of the stones on offer aren't on hand, it's not really a matter of not wanting to get the images for a customer, it's sometimes a matter on just not being able to because it's not physically there to photograph. Some of the cutters that allow us to access their goods are doing up to a million dollars a day in business, and if they've got multiple vendors listing the same stones, they're not going to run around taking aset/images every time there's a request put in. Cutters only tolerate the online vendors because of the high turnover that allot of us can generate without picking through the best of their stock...but at the end of the day, they'd still prefer we bought for stock in volume instead of 1's here and there. Most of us in the online space (I'm presuming) do offer our own stock combined with virtual stock, so there is perhaps a little more room to negotiate the little 'extras' like an occasional image (as long as it's not abused ;-) ) - but it really depends on the supplier and the retailers relationship with them as to what we can get and when.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ADN|1461139482|4021549 said:

Hey mate - just a comment on what Gypsy has said about getting images (and full disclosure I'm in the trade so I can't speak to this particular vendor or stone specifically as they're my competition) - here's a little insight into the world of online diamonds.
One of the problems faced with virtual stock like this stone (meaning it's on the open market) are getting images like aset / ideal scope...especially in sizes under 1ct. Because many of the stones on offer aren't on hand, it's not really a matter of not wanting to get the images for a customer, it's sometimes a matter on just not being able to because it's not physically there to photograph. Some of the cutters that allow us to access their goods are doing up to a million dollars a day in business, and if they've got multiple vendors listing the same stones, they're not going to run around taking aset/images every time there's a request put in. Cutters only tolerate the online vendors because of the high turnover that allot of us can generate without picking through the best of their stock...but at the end of the day, they'd still prefer we bought for stock in volume instead of 1's here and there. Most of us in the online space (I'm presuming) do offer our own stock combined with virtual stock, so there is perhaps a little more room to negotiate the little 'extras' like an occasional image (as long as it's not abused ;-) ) - but it really depends on the supplier and the retailers relationship with them as to what we can get and when.

This is a really good point. And you are right. And I was unsympathetic to the vendor's logistics.

But here's the thing, if you are buying a stone from JA, they claim the examine each stone before it is sent out. So at some point, it is going to be sent to JA before sending it out the customer. So, if a customer requests that they take the time to send it to somewhere to get it photographed before sending it to them, and is willing to take the delay that it takes with shipment, there SHOULD be a way, IMO (granted I'm an idealist) to take the picture of a PURCHASED stone before it is set or sent.

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1461140301|4021553 said:

This is a really good point. And you are right. And I was unsympathetic to the vendor's logistics.

But here's the thing, if you are buying a stone from JA, they claim the examine each stone before it is sent out. So at some point, it is going to be sent to JA before sending it out the customer. So, if a customer requests that they take the time to send it to somewhere to get it photographed before sending it to them, and is willing to take the delay that it takes with shipment, there SHOULD be a way, IMO (granted I'm an idealist) to take the picture of a PURCHASED stone before it is set or sent.

Hey Gypsy - playing the devils advocate - if a customer wants to 'buy' the stone and then get an image sent to them when it arrives at the vendor for inspection, and before the it's sent to the customer, and then cancel/return if they don't like the image, I guess that's one way to game the system - - the only problem is that suppliers tend to (in general) expect cash up front from the vendor (which is why we can get goods for considerably less than more traditional B&M), and they can get pretty shitty with retailers that are trying to send goods back every week because the customer 'canceled'...it's a quick way to ruin a business relationship. This may not be such an issue if the vendor is getting goods from a local supplier, but nowadays allot of goods are from overseas - - then you also have to factor in the shipping/customs/taxes/etc costs involved just to 'take a picture'... ;-)

mtootell

Rough_Rock
I see what you mean in difficulties getting an image when the diamond is not on site! This one that im looking at is all the way in india, the one gypsy said he liked the look of. Question is, is it a good stone to pull the trigger on. Currently have a hold on the stone.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

mtootell

Rough_Rock
Do you think it will be eye clean? And is that a fair price?

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
mtootell|1461197339|4021885 said:
I see what you mean in difficulties getting an image when the diamond is not on site! This one that im looking at is all the way in india, the one gypsy said he liked the look of. Question is, is it a good stone to pull the trigger on. Currently have a hold on the stone.

Sorry mate - would love to help, but because I'm in the trade I'd get kicked off the forum if I comment on specific stones/vendors - sorry

mtootell

Rough_Rock
Gypsy said:

I now have an image, does anyone have any feedback on this diamond that i am at this stage going to buy?
Regards and thanks

uploadfromtaptalk1462424736008.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's a great Idealscope. Great performance.
What are the stone's stats (table, depth, crown, pavilion), the size (dimensions) and the price?

Elepig

Rough_Rock
The setting is very pretty.

Gypsy, I think that image is from the G, VS2 listed above.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great!

mtootell

Rough_Rock
Yes Gypsy it was from the one above, but stats are;