shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on center stone?

cdg

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for the advice. I agree and I think that I will look elsewhere and take my time to feel comfortable. Thank you for the recommendations, it can't hurt to check out some more jewelers!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
footshooter5|1319500649|3046926 said:
I think if a diamond sings to you, it sings to you :) The only downside is if you haven't seen a stone that's less than 2.0, just for comparison sake, it's really hard to say if you'll notice a difference.

Maybe you could have her show you a stone that fits your HCA criteria, and compare it to the other stones she's shown you, just so you have something to compare (make sure it's a similar color and clarity).

-Gayan

Bingo.
In fact, many people will prefer a stone that scores lower on HCA- simply because other factors such as different table depth and LGF combos produce noticeably different results- unlike trying to select stones based on HCA scores.
Basically cdg- you could pass on a stone simply because it has a bad HCA score needlessly. IF GIA gave it an EX cut grade- and the seller is telling you it's well cut, they're not misleading you.
It's not like a stone that scores 3 has any consistent difference from one scoring 5 or .8

I think that for everyone who has a question, it would be amazing to have them compare GIA EX cut grade stones with different HCA scores.

cdg- this is an amazing site- and people are very helpful.
My "agenda" is honest representation of diamonds.
From where I sit, if there's a misconception ( such as this one about HCA) it will interfere with a consumer's ability to make sound decisions.

A lot of great points have been raised- such as - it's generally less expensive to buy online.
But there's also a value to being able to buy something face to face.
In thus case, stores are essential because that will allow you to see stones and decide for yourself.

footshooter5 said:
I think there is definitely something to be said for Ex/Ex in the GIA grading, but it's also important to remember, that a stone can still receive an overall Ex in GIA grading, while being a Very good/Ex (someone correct me if I'm wrong, please?)

You'll also have to remember that your local jeweler will have a tough time price matching the same quality you'll find online, just because they have way more overhead to cover their profit margin.

I think you're being pretty clear as what your expectations are...maybe you should find some comparable stones with some of the online vendors, print them out, and show her - maybe this will open up some new avenues of conversation :)

-Gayan

Correct Gaylan- a stone can have VG on Polish or Symmetry, and still get an EX cut grade.
But this is another area of misunderstanding.
Basically, there's not a human alive who would be able to see the difference between VG and EX pol or Sym with the naked eye.
IN fact, we can make the same statement about downgrading to "merely" good pol sym in a large majority of cases.

I do believe that most people here post with the best of intentions- but I find that it's crucial to offer a more realistic real world assessment.
Some people will need to follow Gypsy's advice and only buy an AGS graded diamond.
Others will do VERY well with a GIA ex cut grade.
One is not "better" than the other- it's a matter of taste.

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
cdg|1319513085|3047064 said:
Thank you so much for the advice. I agree and I think that I will look elsewhere and take my time to feel comfortable. Thank you for the recommendations, it can't hurt to check out some more jewelers!

You hit the nail on the head - take your time to feel comfortable and explore your options!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="Rockdiamond|1319561159|

But this is another area of misunderstanding.
Basically, there's not a human alive who would be able to see the difference between VG and EX pol or Sym with the naked eye.
IN fact, we can make the same statement about downgrading to "merely" good pol sym in a large majority of cases.

[/quote]
RD
if that were true then why would the cutter shoot for EX,EX,EX??... :confused:

cdg

Rough_Rock
Ok, let me try one more stone with the group. It is on James Allen's site.

Shape: Round
Carat weight: 1.01
Cut: Ideal
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Certificate: GIA
Depth: 62.7%
Table: 57.0%
Crown Angle: 36
Pavilion Angle: 40.6
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Thin to thick

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1405696.asp

I realize the polish and symmetry are only very good. The HCA score is in the range it should be. If I'm looking at the best value for what I can pay, this seems like it could be a winner. Opinions??

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
No you are paying for something you are not going to see. A carat should measure 6.50 by 6.50 by 4 or close. I would snatch this stone up in a second. It is actually bigger than the stone you are looking at.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1426580.asp

Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
or diameter for weight Excellent
Total Visual Performance 1.0 - Excellent
within TIC range

cdg

Rough_Rock
farmer gal|1319647243|3048046 said:
No you are paying for something you are not going to see. A carat should measure 6.50 by 6.50 by 4 or close. I would snatch this stone up in a second. It is actually bigger than the stone you are looking at.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1426580.asp

Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
or diameter for weight Excellent
Total Visual Performance 1.0 - Excellent
within TIC range

will the color be a problem? i definitely saw some "H" color stones that had too much color for my liking.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
Everybody has different color tolerances but for me cut is everything, I would take that stone over the stone you are looking at any day of the week:) They have a great return policy so if you don't like it you can always send it back.

cdg

Rough_Rock
farmer gal|1319648474|3048065 said:
Everybody has different color tolerances but for me cut is everything, I would take that stone over the stone you are looking at any day of the week:) They have a great return policy so if you don't like it you can always send it back.

thank you so much farmer gal. i will put a hold on it and get more information! the price would certainly allow me to flexibility on other items!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
were the Hs you saw in person graded by GIA or AGS? If so and you thought they were too tinted then I would stick with G or H color...basically you have to decide what your priorities are!

cdg

Rough_Rock
slg47|1319650560|3048096 said:
were the Hs you saw in person graded by GIA or AGS? If so and you thought they were too tinted then I would stick with G or H color...basically you have to decide what your priorities are!

They were GIA. However, the stone that I almost chose was actually an H. I could just see the color more in some stones side by side. Would an AGS stone be better in the color area?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
cdg|1319651426|3048109 said:

They were GIA. However, the stone that I almost chose was actually an H. I could just see the color more in some stones side by side. Would an AGS stone be better in the color area?

AGS and GIA should be on par with each other in color (if anything GIA might be slightly stricter?) Did the color bother you or did you only notice it when comparing stones side by side?

cdg

Rough_Rock
slg47|1319651714|3048111 said:
cdg|1319651426|3048109 said:

AGS and GIA should be on par with each other in color (if anything GIA might be slightly stricter?) Did the color bother you or did you only notice it when comparing stones side by side?

it bothered me a bit. it bothered the boyfriend more. i've been leaning more towards a "G" for that reason, although as I'm learning, with our budget it's tough to win on everything...

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I would either compromise on color or size, I would not compromise on cut.

cdg

Rough_Rock
farmer gal|1319660756|3048211 said:
I would either compromise on color or size, I would not compromise on cut.

That makes sense. I'll keep looking. The stone will be in a halo setting so I worry about the I really showing up with the brightness of the halo.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you weren't sure about GIA H, then you aren't going to be happy with I color. .97 is a great size, though, because it is just below the 1 ct. mark which means a price jump.

The other stone you posted was too deep and that was why it was too small. You need to look at the diameter measurements. A 1 ct. stone should be about 6.5mm. The depth should be 62.3% or less (I look for 60-62.0).

If your stone budget is $6,000, I don't think you will be able to get a G or even H color SI1 excellent cut. You may need to look in the .9 range. You might want to order that .97 I color stone to look at, though, because it is a great buy if you could handle the color.

cdg

Rough_Rock
Hi all. So I took some time off from stressing over a stone, and also managed to eek out another 1K for the budget. So now I can go up to around $7K. Any help on what's out there online would be greatly appreciated. I loved the previous suggestions, the only problem with the latest stone was the color...I'm heading to some new jewelers this weekend to look as well. Thanks for any advice!

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
Looks good. You can't go wrong with a BGD H&A.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results